What will you be doing with the new World of Darkness?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
As a proud new owner of the World of Darkness core rulebook and Vampire: The Requiem after Gencon, I thought I'd take a moment to pick the brains of my fellow EN Worlders. Although I haven't really had a chance to pick my way through the books just yet and it will probably be awhile before I have a chance to run a campaign using the new system, I thought it would be interesting to see if any of my fellow EN Worlders plan to start up any World of Darkness games. So if you have any such plans I'd like to hear what sort of games you plan on running.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I finished reading my copies over the weekend. My players and I want to give a chronicle set in London a try as we always end up playing American cities usually.

Taking a while to get my head around the new game as it does have its differences from Masquerade. But thats what we plan to try once my current Gehenna chronicle winds up.

frankthedm

First Post
Increasing the wound penalties [spiral O death LIVES...]and botch rates to old WoD and running a Call of cthulhu game.

Thinking about time spanning from 20's and having PC's have to train replacements as decades go bye. Might port SAN or just use derangements to apply the going nuts aproach. As decades pass will port some tech from book of the weaver as world gets to higer levels technology.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
DragonLancer said:
Taking a while to get my head around the new game as it does have its differences from Masquerade.
How exactly is it different from VtM? I know about the whole whittling of the clans and rule difference aspect, but what's the feel/plot of the game like? Political like VtM or not?

Andrew D. Gable said:
How exactly is it different from VtM? I know about the whole whittling of the clans and rule difference aspect, but what's the feel/plot of the game like? Political like VtM or not?

One of the main advantages to the new incarnation is that it doesn't have a specific plot. It's still about the personal horror, the whole "am I monster or man?" bit. But because the game does not include a heavy metaplot, and because the new "splats" (both clans and covenants) are broader than their predecessors, there's no predefined way to use them. The game can easily be as political as V:tM. Or you can focus on night-to-night unlife, or learning to be a monster, or conflict with other supernaturals, or investigations into the history of the Kindred (a history that even the elders have largely forgotten), or Lovecraftian horror, or...

It's wide open. V:tR, IMO, does everything the old one did, and more.

And yes, for disclaimer's sake, I did work on it. That doesn't mean I'm saying anything I don't believe is true. I'm not going to say that I think every last change is superior, because there are certain little details I prefer from the old game. However, in the vast majority of cases, and looking at the game as a whole, I think V:tR is at least potentially a deeper, broader game.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
When I can get a copy of the book, I want to play in it. I've never been into running a WoD game, but I'd love to play in one. For D&D, it's the exact opposite.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Whoo hoo, preemptory moderation! I'm just jumping in here to ask that no one threadcrap in this particular thread. It's fun to have discussions about non-d20 games that people are psyched for, and I'd like to leave this one free of "I hate WoD" comments. If you're tempted to do so, feel free to start another thread instead.

Thanks. :D

Acid_crash

First Post
I just have the main World of Darkness rulebook and plan on getting Vampire: Requiem when I get the $$$, but after skimming the Vampire book at my LGS, I gotta say that it's one of the sweetest looking books I've ever seen. Full color to boot, the book looks awesome.

After reading the introduction of WoD and storytelling (chapter 8), I think that I could really use this book for a good ole-fashion Dark*Matteresque type game, which we could never do with the old storyteller games because, for me, this is the first time that we have a system that creates fully fleshed mortals. All I would need for psionics is a modified Aeon system to fit with the new WoD system and I think I would be good to go.

Now all I need is to find a Dark*Matter book. :)

I'm also going to pick up the new edition of Call of Cthulu to help me with getting to know how to run a modern day horror game.

I guess I've played fantasy and d20 way too much over the last four years.

On the exalted front, I think it would be cool if they would someday come out with a modern version of the game.

Hygric

First Post
I think that the one thing that I am looking forward to the most is the cross-compatibility of the new rules. I enjoy running crossover games, but there are a few headaches when the different flavours interact with each other. If they can make that aspect seemless (as I have heard rumours that new-WOD will) then I guess white wolf will get even more of my money. :)

Remove ads