Magic Item Price Reductions wi. Craft Item?

I could have sworn that I read somewhere (I thought it was in a sidebar in the DMG, not sure if it was 3.0 or 3.5) that the price of magic items is reduced by 25% (?) for characters with the applicable Item Creation feat (i.e. when equipping a starting character, they get a price reduction on magic items related to any item creation feats they have).

Am I delusional?

masque

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I could have sworn that I read somewhere (I thought it was in a sidebar in the DMG, not sure if it was 3.0 or 3.5) that the price of magic items is reduced by 25% (?) for characters with the applicable Item Creation feat (i.e. when equipping a starting character, they get a price reduction on magic items related to any item creation feats they have).

Am I delusional?

My group, being entirely composed of DMs and rules lawyers, haven't exploited that, and one guy can practically quote pages. You may be thinking of the sidebar about adding restrictions to magic items to reduce their cost. Or maybe the Magical Artisan feat which only applies to items you actually make.

Whoo-Hooo! Found it. And you call yourselves rules lawyers ;)

Page 110, DMG 3.5:

"When selecting gear for a spellcaster, count magic items that she can make herself as 70% as expensive as normal. This effectively treats the XP cost as an extra gold piece cost. If the item is charged, then count it as half normal value (a net 35%) and determine charges left randomly."

I KNEW I wasn't delusional :D

UltimaGabe

First Post
Ah- that's for NPCs. It's assumed that if an NPC has an item creation feat, they probably made most of their corresponding items, thus increasing their gear with less money spent.

dcollins

Explorer
3.0 DMG p. 43, top right paragraph. Asserts that a PC spellcaster being created can "spend as many of the XP and gp you have awarded toward making magic items as she wishes..."

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases