To Multi-Class or not to Multi-Class

ConcreteBuddha's post on what classes are good for multi-classing is nice and should be kept in mind. However one of the strengths of 3e is the ability to completely customize a character. Two elements come in here, the character's concept and the character's experiences in the game. If the concept is that the character was forced to study magic by an overbearing father, as soon as that character is out of his father's sight, he may pick up fighter levels and explore his true interest. If during the game, the PC sees his family and friends murdered, he may start to lose his good senses and fly into rages during combat, forgetting his training in whatever field.

While the numbers in multi-classing are interesting, the characters that can arise through multi-classing should be the guiding force in picking up that new level.

Alaxk

Storminator

First Post
I very much depends on your game. If you have 4 characters, multiclassing is tough, because you really need each member of the party to be good at what they do. You can't afford to have the mage be behind in spells, and you can't afford to dilute the fighter's melee skills (fighter+other combat class excepted).

But if you have 7 characters, a multiclasser or two can be very beneficial, as the core skills are covered, and a bit more filling in can be done. Likewise, if you only have 2 PCs, you may need some multiclassing to gain some marginal competence. I have a PBeM with a only pair of rogues, and one took a level of Barbarian for a combat boost, and the other took a level of Sorcerer for some spell power.

I'm running an upcoming one-shot at 6th level, and my son made a 5th Wiz/1st Fighter that I think will be very effective. He plans on standing behind the fighters with his glaive and tripping enemies. I think that's one of the best melee choices for a wizard, and single level of fighter makes it pretty easy. He doesn't lose the higher level spells (at 6th level he'd still only get 3rd level spells) so it's a fairly balanced trade. It might not be as effective in a regular campaign, because 6th level is a bit of a special point in terms of multiclassing wizards, but it's a nice situational choice.

So it all depends on the situation, and of course, on the character.

PS

d12

First Post
I love to multi-class my characters. I'm a big fan of playing a character concept and many characters need mutli-classing at some point. I would advise to plan your multiclassing carefully from the beginning and know what classes you're going to take when. The most important thing is to have fun.

So, lets review. 1. Mutli-classing good. 2. Plan ahead. 3. have fun.

Nathan

First Post
I am currently running a multi-classes PC. She is a Telepath 9/Paladin 1.

1.) It is fun to play her.
2.) Her feat "Psychic Inquisitor" to detect lies is of great value for a paladin.
3.) The diplomacy skill stacks.
4.) Mindblast can end combat non-violently.

What I want to say that it mixing a "spell-casting" class like a psion with a "bad multi-classing" class like a paladin shoudn't have to be bad or useless. I can be a big advantage. Of course, my paladin will never be the Hack-And-Smite-Evil-Paladin. But not every paladin has to be...

Ferret

Explorer
The key is to find similar cons and different pros, Can't get good armour:
Sorcerer
Mage
Rogue
Druid
Ranger(Light armour)
You can wipe the Sorcerer and/or mage off, then you have Rogue/mage(Sorc) it improves both, you can hide when things get combaty, and you can increase your rogue stuff, good. Rogue/ranger good. Druid/Ranger intresting/could be good. Druid/mage, ok...You get the idea

Ace

Adventurer
yipwyg said:
I was looking into the pro's and con's of multi-classing in D&D 3e. I think that multi-classing is great because it allows more customization with a player's concept of a character.

One of my friends thinks that multi-classing any character ruins it, basically the cons of multi-classing, outweigh the pros.

What do you guys think of the handling of Multi-Classing

Four reasons to multi class:

Its gains the character effective abilities. For example if you are a high dex type rog3/ftr4 is an awesome combo. You will have decent stealth, a nasty sneak attack better reflex saves and evasion all for the cost of a couple of feats, 1 bab and and about 4 HP. Its a good trade. I find at high levels up to 5 levels of rogue a good multi class.

Its fits the character concept. If your character was a noble before becoming an adventurerer take a couple of levels (max3) of aristocrat (or one of the more pc class varients if the DM allows) You won't gain much or loose much either.
Another possibility The street preacher rogue 3/ ClericX not as good at high levels but fun to play.

You need it for a Prestige class.

Your DM doesn't allow PRC's

Remove ads