"Epic" progression after 6th level

phindar

First Post
Arcana Evolved has a catch-all metamagic feat called Modify Spell. All casters in that system are spotaneous casters, and Modify lets them increase either the range, the duration, the AoE, remove either the somatic or verbal components, or increase the damage by x1.5 at the cost of two slots instead of 1.

Now, with casters getting a lot more feats I could see removing Modify Spell, since it was designed to be the one metamagic feat that does pretty much everything. But at the same time, I could see making those feats it was designed to replace work the same way-- costing two slots of a spell of that level rather than a higher level slot. That way, having a Stilled Fireball wouldn't be impossible (4th level spell), just expensive (two 3rd level spell slots).

I wasn't suggesting magic items would be overpowering, just it seems like crafting would be a lot more common. (This might just be my group, but we haven't had a pc or cohort crafter in years.) That's not a bad thing, but it is one way it would most likely separate a 6th level group with a level cap from one without one. A 6th level wizard might have one or maybe two fireballs a day, but a Wand of Fireballs is just cash and 320xp. At that point, cash becomes the balancing factor, since a crafter could make 15 3rd level Wands before he was more than 1 feat behind the rest of the party.

Personally, I love disposable magical items, and this seems like another way to expand a group's bag of tricks without having to level. Potions, scrolls, wands are all good times. While the big ticket items like your Frostbrands and Flame Tongues and Holy Avengers are beyond the abilities of pcs of that level to create, I wouldn't have a problem including them as "artifacts of a forgotten age". (Borrowing an idea of Shadowrun where magic goes in cycles and in the past magic might have been so powerful that even commoners would have had abilities and archwizards could have made the stars dance to their will, and there might be items from that age that have survived.) Even though swords like that are really, really expensive, generally they're just another +1 or +2 and and extra d6 or some damage against specific creatures. Its a nice mechanical benefit, but mainly its a bit of flash that separates that character from his contemporaries. Having cool stuff is one of the fun parts of the game.

Characters might find "impossible" items in forgotten tombs or dragon hoards or places like that. And things like a Wand of Stoneskin with 3 charges left, or single use item of Heal become very valuable resources that the party will likely obsess over how to use properly, like when they finally go after that CR 10 black dragon.

Ry

Explorer
Impossible Items FTW: What's great is that it actually makes sense by the RAW. If you have a +4 sword... it could have been crafted by a Titan.

And that's a big deal. That's a sword that no mortal can make.

Machiavelli

First Post
Holy crap, I am loving the sound of this whole thing! I want you to meet me in the parking lot down the street from my house. I will bring my gaming group, and you and I will convince them that this system is amazing. Thanks, RyCanada!

Ry

Explorer
Machiavelli said:
Holy crap, I am loving the sound of this whole thing! I want you to meet me in the parking lot down the street from my house. I will bring my gaming group, and you and I will convince them that this system is amazing. Thanks, RyCanada!

Thanks, Machiavelli! This is why every 6 months or so I collect experiences I've had running it and post it again (lately I've been working on another system that's really turning into its own beast, but I always seem to be running a few sessions here and there in 6th-level capped D&D).

Ry

Explorer
Dragonlance is a particularly good setting for this. I've run Dragonlance many times in the past and if I were to go back to it yeah, this would do it nicely.

Ioreck

First Post
I'm actually doing a similar thing!

We're playing a low level, extremely low magic campaign (no casters, lots of homebrew, etc). You need more xp to level, and cap out "normal" levels at 5. Levels 6+ are considered epic, and the max level is 7, at which point you're the equivilent to archtypes like Kenshin - just can't be beat.

I find this to be alot more realistic for the game. No, you can't beat an army of orcs on your own, you need to use tactics and some ingenuity to defeat some mroe powerful monsters, such as a CR 10 dragon, and if you want to be really good at some skill, you do have to spend the feat.

What I did is crunched the classes. You gain a feat per level, since its so much harder to level, as well as class abilities scrunched up. For example, of the course of 5 levels, the warblade will get his Battle abilities, the barbarian will end get his Greater Rage at level 5, etc. We also use elite array stats, ie 25 point buy.

Here's the link that shows just how awesome systems like these are, and got me to design this one:

http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html

Took alot of work to make sense, but its great. Feat chains make more sense, and any bonus to skills are very useful. And without healing magic, the heal skill is huge. I find the game alot more enjoyable and there's so much more to do. Its far more challenging.

Ry

Explorer
Sounds awesome, Ioreck! Looks like you've tailored the rules to your campaign very tightly. While this doesn't have that... it keeps a hair's breadth from the rules as written, which is handy when you're, say, between gaming groups or attracting new members from the local gaming community.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases