"Epic" progression after 6th level

Ry

Explorer
Well, for knowledge checks, I think there's no problem with a limit. As-is, it's like the Wizard has a better and better version of Google installed in his brain.

I don't mind if some information just isn't available... unless you have a big circumstance bonus, like researching in a giant library.

Ry

Explorer
Meeki said:
:( splat books are not an answer I was looking for, but research could be neat i suppose. Even with spell compendium and the like I feel many schools are lacking at low levels.

I really like the idea of capping the levels, however im really a lush for high magic :D.

Fair enough; 20-level D&D can't be all things to all DMs, but then again, neither can 6-level :)

phindar

First Post
When it comes to Knowledge checks, "unbeatable" DC's are generally plot points. If a DC is too high for a pc to know, a lower DC may point them to where that information might be found. If the pcs can't make the DC 35 Knowledge check to figure out how a guy became a lich, a DC 25 might let them know which necromantic text he was researching, and a DC 15 might let them know what lich legends he was looking up prior to seeking out his lichdom. They don't need to make the DC 35 to figure out how he did it if they manage to get their hands on the "How I Did It" tome. A book doesn't necessarily have to be a "+2 to Knowledge checks", it can also effectively be an auto-success to a particular subset of questions.

I find it somewhat humorous if the pcs were trying to figure out how to kill a lich and they find out he took a century off to write an autobiography before getting sick of that and going back to the original plan of world domination. It could be filled with all sorts of stuff beyond how he became a lich or his nefarious plans; just mundane stuff from his childhood, his first love, as well as the choices he made that led him down the path of evil and undeath. There's no telling what a creative group of pcs could do with information like that.

Ry

Explorer
I'm hoping to keep the rules so very short... but I'm considering it.

Actually, after the playtest I'm looking for some kind of "raise the stakes" mechanics, i.e., the player can say "If I'm successful with this hit, he gets -2 AC, but if I lose, I get -2 to attacks." and I can say "Done" and then they roll.

green slime

First Post
This idea is probably the best thing to happen to DnD since 3.0... seriously.

It also opens up a whole new can of possibilities/worms.

For instance, you could introduce new feat chains, similar to ELH, that would allow casters to gain access to 4th+ level spell slots, for use with metamagic spells.

Feats to improve effective creator/crafter level, for access to better items (+3 armours!)

Feats to gain access to otherwise unattainable feats (Imp Critical, for instance).

Personally, I'd feel happier with the cap at 10th, but that is just me.

Khuxan

First Post
green slime said:
Personally, I'd feel happier with the cap at 10th, but that is just me.

The thing that sold me on the 6th-level cap is the article that explained Aragon is a fifth-level character. Sixth-level makes more sense than 5th-level as a cap for a number of reasons (iterative attacks for combat classes, 3rd-level spells for sorcerers, the bonus feat, etc.).

Nifft

Penguin Herder
rycanada said:
The 1e Dragon magazine article "Gandalf was a 5th-level wizard" really inspired all this.
I can see that being a bit controversial these days... he was dual-class at least, right? For the whole sword thing? :)

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases