CoC: the HP alternative

Vocenoctum

First Post
So, what I was thinking for my CoC game.

All players start with a d8 (maxed to 8 for PCs only)

When you go up a level, you get a choice;
1d4 hp+con adjust
-or-
1d8 sanity
-or-
1 point of Power

Power will be usable for any of the powers (spells or psychic) that require you to expend atttribute points. Instead of the appropriate att, it drain's your power first. Power will either heal completely each day (more in tune with original CoC) or follow standard attribute healing rules (easier for D20 compliance)

I was also thinking of letting them still gain their con mod each level, even if they don't take the 1d4.

Whatcha think?

Vocenoctum

First Post
Nyarlathotep said:
I'd better read my CoC book again... I don't remeber a POW attribute (although I sure recognize it from the Chaosium system)

It's not in the d20 CoC, it's something new I was thinking of.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I was thinking of Str/con, or even con alone, but the con bonus already takes con into effect.

If you do it off the att's, I'd probably not allow any advancement, but that seems un-d20ish :)
Don't really feel like a wound/ vitality system either.

Also, what do people think of having a dodge skill. cross class to everyone (resulting in a max rank of 2 at first level, and 11 at 20th) based off of dex.
Then, for AC, you instead roll 1d20 and add dodge.

saduff

First Post
I don't know really I like the 1d6 hp + con bonus per lvl in the d20 system. I was just offering an idea for the thread. I bought the d20 first then I went out and bought the Chaosium book and I think I will be using that system for most of my games.

Although I think I will use d20 for the Pulp Horror supplements.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I'm hoping the stuff Chaosium does set in teh 30's will be good, and I'll see how that plays out.

I just don't like the idea of a high level cultist with a lot of hitpoints, and still hardly able to cast spells.
I'd also rather keep the lethality of the game, without something as arbitrary as the saving throw.

(Speaking of which, the other change would be to change that so that a failed save reduces you to -5 hp instead of dead.)

Remove ads