So, you've won initiative, now what?

Wolfix

First Post
I'm looking for tips on what you could do if you win initiative. I'm planning on playing a Psychic Warrior lvl4 with +9 to init, so he should get to go first a lot (I hope :) ). In your average encounter, I expect to either buff myself, or charge, but that's about it. If you could build him, what would you do with high init?

DarkMaster

First Post
Sneak attack to death.

Edit
Woups you meant with your character. I don't know why you want to have high initiative to buff. Buffing will still take a round to perform. Personally I wouldn't invest much in improving my initiative with such a character, I would use my precious feat on something more usefull for this type of character.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Geek the Mage!

No, seriously, if you can identify a "glass cannon" among the enemy, threatening them early before they can fire off any of their nasty offensive magic will probably do more to dictate the course of the battle than any other action you could take. Even if the Mage has mooks in a defensive line, if you beat them on Initiative then they are flat footed and can't make AoO's. Run right in there and smack the spellcaster. Be aware that this will very likely make you the primary target of nearly all the bad guys, so make sure your friends will come to your rescue early and often. Also invest in the best equipment you can get to bolster your AC and hit points.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
a few ideas

Take the feat "powerful charge" (Complete Warrior?) to add +1d8 damage when you charge and hit, which is what you'll probably be doing to all those flat-footed berks.

Move yourself into position early to provide flank for your buddy the rogue.

'Ready an Action' to blast "the first guy who looks like he's casting a spell" with a ranged attack.

:)

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

DarkMaster

First Post
Rel said:
Geek the Mage!

No, seriously, if you can identify a "glass cannon" among the enemy, threatening them early before they can fire off any of their nasty offensive magic will probably do more to dictate the course of the battle than any other action you could take. Even if the Mage has mooks in a defensive line, if you beat them on Initiative then they are flat footed and can't make AoO's. Run right in there and smack the spellcaster. Be aware that this will very likely make you the primary target of nearly all the bad guys, so make sure your friends will come to your rescue early and often. Also invest in the best equipment you can get to bolster your AC and hit points.

Good Idea but I wander if a fighter or rogue would not be more optimal for this type of strategy, without any buffing the Psywarrior is nothing more than a sub-par fighter and since buffing takes at least a round there is no point for this guy to rush like crazy on the "glass cannon" just to be killed the following round because without his buffing he wasn't able to kill "it". The Rogue will benefit from sneak attack seriously crippling it and the fighter will be in a better position to continue the fight since feats don't take a round to activate.

Henry

Autoexreginated
High init really works for Rogues more than anyone - it's their element to "gut and run". For a psywar, I would suggest looking at "Lion's Charge" as a Psionic Power.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
DarkMaster said:
Good Idea but I wander if a fighter or rogue would not be more optimal for this type of strategy, without any buffing the Psywarrior is nothing more than a sub-par fighter and since buffing takes at least a round there is no point for this guy to rush like crazy on the "glass cannon" just to be killed the following round because without his buffing he wasn't able to kill "it". The Rogue will benefit from sneak attack seriously crippling it and the fighter will be in a better position to continue the fight since feats don't take a round to activate.

This is why your PsyWarrior takes the Combat Reflexes and Stand Still feats and uses a Reach weapon. You run into the center of the battle with your Glaive (or whatever), stab the mage for decent damage and when the mooks try and close on you, some or all of them are (hopefully) stopped cold by your Stand Still attacks. On the mage's turn, if he's stupid enough to provoke an AoO, you snag him with the Glaive again (again using Stand Still if you still have any AoO's left), and he takes damage PLUS goes nowhere.

It's still risky but it has oodles of style. I've seen this done in a previous campaign and it was pretty effective.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
DarkMaster said:

If you win initiative without a suprise round, you could buff as a standard action and move to threaten the wizard...

DarkMaster

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
If you win initiative without a suprise round, you could buff as a standard action and move to threaten the wizard...
Then 5 step or Concentration DC 16-24 and your are blasted to obvilion

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases