tell me about your non-D&D campaign (a semi-poll)

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm kind of interested in knowing what non-D&D games are played out there. I know that D&D is probably the most popular but I'm curious about other games people are playing.

Also, if you play a game that allows for many possibilities (d20 Modern, Grim Tales, etc), post a little blurb about it.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I'm playing/running in three games right now
  1. 3.5 Freeport Game (play and GM)
  2. 3.5 RttToEE game (gm only)
  3. Mutants and Masterminds (play and GM)
The last game is obviously the one that is germane to this thread.

We have been playing this game for about 2 years now. It is set in a home-brew fictional city (Meridian City) on the west coast of the U.S.

We started it as a Pulp game set in the early 30s. Played about 15 sessions in that setting, then moved the timeline up to the late 30s and ran a Mystery Men game. Same setting, new characters (some of whom are related to the Pulp characters [actually, one of the Pulp characters is the now the mayor!]). We did about 25 sessions here.

We just wrapped up the Mystery Men game a couple weeks ago, and moved the timeline up once again. Last Wednesday we started a Golden Age Heroes campaign and have updated the timeline to 1941. We determined that all of our Mystery Men characters have been drafted into a special unit by FDR and sent over to Europe. Our new characters are heroes on the home-front!

The game's been going really well, and everyone seems to be having a blast.

Future genres will be...
Atomic Age
Silver Age
Super Family (Fantastic Four-esque)
Uncanny Mutants
A School for Gifted Youngsters
A gritty, street-level heroes game
etc, etc...

We've been having a great time building up the background of Meridian City, and it's fun to have old PCs showing up as NPCs in later genres...

Arnwyn

First Post
I sometimes run a FUZION futuristic anime campaign. Think of a cross between Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Macross, Armitage III, BGC, and the Dirty Pair.

MonsterMash

First Post
I keep planning to run Paranoia (the old WEG version, rather than the new XP) , but it's been hard enough getting together my group to play D&D recently without playing anything else.

Galethorn

First Post
I run a campaign in a homebrewed setting with Grim Tales, which used to be a heavily UA-modified and house-ruled D&D game, which had about 20 pages of houserules. Now, with GT, I have, oh, about four pages of setting-specific races, and a few notable changes that don't even need paper to be maintained (VP/WP instead of HP and a massive damage threshold, to name one).

So far, I've noticed a few things...

1. Only one player made a magic-user right off the bat, and he's not in the 'always there' group of players. One other person wants to eventually learn magic, but isn't actively seeking tutelage out at the moment.

2. The characters are a little more powerful, relatively speaking, but their power is more in line with each other's, and I started them out about a level higher than they would have been in D&D.

3. It's pretty easy putting together NPC mooks in short order, especially if you have a fairly standard form for each 'type' (like one for archers, one for generic spear-wielding warriors, and one for bigger, beefier warriors). I think this is specifically because 'ordinaries' don't get the talents, making the creation process a lot less complex.

4. The players don't moan and groan about each other's characters, or about how they want to be more powerful*.

(*that could be because most of them playing in this campaign are relative gaming novices, compared to my players in the last campaign I ran)

Anyway, I'll try to put together a blurb now...

On the world of Yril, in the lands of Thoria, the people live in fear of a vague and distant threat. Some say it's the decline of the once great nation of Arnadun, and others say it's the rise of a warlord-tyrant in the deep and distant south, but few can say for certain.

Brought together by luck, old friendships, and duty, Delethorn and his companions have made their first move to become part of the terrible events that the future holds, and cannot know how closely their fate will be tied to that of the very world.
Join us next week for the thrilling conclusion of the perilous journey down the River Elond!

That's the best I can do...I'll be able to give some more specifics in the blurb once the group gets out of the boonies and to the port-city of Fort Tirad.

Last edited:

kdanger

First Post
My group has two campaigns running. One of course is DnD set in an Iron Kingdoms setting. The other campaign is Call of Cthulhu. Our campaign is running a couple years after WWI and has been a blast. Creepiness, insanity, fun!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'm currently running an Arcana Unearthed game. After that, it's probably a Vampire: tR game set in an as-yet undetermined East Coast or lake port city. I'm thinking, right now, of simply not naming it if I go with one of the major themes being Disconnection. It'll just be The City to them, unconnected to the daylight world.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm in a SLA campaign where I play a Frother (think Juicer from Rifts) known as Mr. Jack who is almost a psychopath who uses a two handed chainsaw to cut his foes up that he calls "Sweet Ivory."

I'm in another campaign using Mutants & Mastermind ruleset that combines bits from the Meta-4 campaign and the Freedom city one. Good stuff overall.

Remove ads