Baldur's Gate Countdown Ends... Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition for Summer 2012

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
As much as I loved BG and BG2, my gaming tastes have evolved. Micro-managing a party in and out of combat and the isometric nature of the game would just drive me bonkers these days.

Now if it was an entire remake that brought it into the modern age of gaming, THEN I'd be excited.

<Pats Kzach's shoulder in a comrade-like manner> Don't you worry yourself, sir. I will be willing to make the sacrifice, purchase this here item, and micro-manage the party enough for the both of us a few times over. Gog.com has Planescape: Torment with links to restored content fan mods.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I wish people were a little more open-minded about consoles. I used to be a PC-only kind of guy with all the Quake mods and Deus Ex and all that jazz. Back then the attitude was consoles couldn't have deep games or console gamers didn't want them or something. Consoles don't suck anymore (although access to the PC mods would be awesome!). The games have gotten remarkably deep on consoles. But since they're aiming for a primarily PC-base and a hardcore market it's very hard to imagine the new PC game would be compromised in order to make it adaptable to the console.
You know... as a PC gamer who very rarely plays consoles, I've come to resent consoles. It's purely a market size thing; console gamers vastly outnumber PC gamers. So when a neat game idea comes along, 4 times out of 5, it's a console-only title. And when it does come to PC, 4 times out of 5, it's a poorly done port which is painful to play. Resident Evil 5, for instance, does not support a mouse (?!).

There are games which play better on consoles, and the systems do have their charms. But my beef is all the games I'm missing out on because they opt not to come out for my chosen platform.

I'm hoping System Shock, Thief, Deus Ex, Torment, and all the other classics get the same treatment.
I would love to see an update of System Shock. That game is pure genius. It would be great for more folks to recognize GladOS' inspiration. :)

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
For those that haven't seen it, Baldur's Gate Tutu allowed you to play through BG1 and TotSC using the enhanced rules from BG2 (Kits, Barbarian, Monk, Sorceror, Wild Mage, Fighting styles, more spells and goodness knows what else).

I cross my fingers they have the wisdom to do the same in the enhanced edition!

3catcircus

Adventurer
Because if you buy the enhanced editions, you'll be supporting the narrative that a Baldur's Gate 3 would be a worthwhile project to fund. Trent Oster stated today that he wants to see a Baldur's Gate 3, and that the Enhanced Editions are part of the "master plan".

Makes no sense. If they have a budget, spend it on a new game. If they are doing this on a shoestring, then they should go back and rethink their strategy. If they need people to buy this in order to fund development of a new game, then I stand by my original statement - its a money grab. I don't think the new game will be BG3 though, since it is on record that BG3 has been in development (off and on) since 2004 (to be published by Atari)

It's not just new content, though. The graphics will receive an overhaul, the UI will be upgraded, etc. I think you can expect some new content, but for me the real pull is going to be a version of the game that is designed from the ground up to run at 1920x1080.

Couldn't. care. less. The original BG2 plays just fine the way it is - it doesn't need the new shiny treatment in order to get people to play it, especially when you can get it on gog.com for $9.99 and it'll run out of the box on Win7. More importantly, beamdog is a digital distribution service, not a game development studio, so I expect that they won't be doing the development of BG3.

Roman

First Post
I loved the Baldur's Gate series, especially Baldur's Gate II, but I must say a remake does not get me very excited and I will probably pass on buying it. After all, I still have my original BG II discs if I want to replay the game (and sometimes I still do). Now if this were merely presaging a sequel, that would be a different matter... ! :)

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Excellent, I hope they have an iPad version! :D

Just a month ago I started daydreaming about BG with new graphics.

From what I understand, they are going to give it a face lift up, I hope they won't make it extremely different visually than the originals though.

Warder

Remove ads