The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Zardnaar

Legend
I can never work out when US shows are on. We get criticised for short series, but we show them from start to finish. With US shows it seems to be two weeks on, three weeks off, one week on, a week off, two more weeks off, two weeks on... sometimes I’ve actually forgotten shows exist and suddenly rediscover them a year later!

A British show that has more than 6 episodes is a long UK season for me. Quality over quantity.

Still Blackadder was so good.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It was good, but wasn't the last episode a romance plot? And this one was essentially two simultaneous romance plots (with a murder mystery added in). I'm hoping for some action next week!

CapnZapp

Legend
For a brief moment I went "oh noes, another syrupy story". Bortus and Kelly both.

Then it turned out to be clever and interesting!

Of course with that said the attraction between the two aliens got zero development, but I am understanding nevertheless. If they wanted to earn her tears at the end, they would have had to set up their relationship in a separate episode, and I think it was a reasonable priority to skip that.

That said, this episode provided at least two chances of seeing a Moclan wrestle a Xelayan, and they squandered both: first romantically as a much more likely pastime (why would an interspecies pair ever go for the nostalgia of an unrelated third species??). Then when the Engineer could have tried to overpower Talla in the shuttle.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm hoping for some action next week!

bobs-eyebrows.gif

Ryujin

Legend
For a brief moment I went "oh noes, another syrupy story". Bortus and Kelly both.

Then it turned out to be clever and interesting!

Of course with that said the attraction between the two aliens got zero development, but I am understanding nevertheless. If they wanted to earn her tears at the end, they would have had to set up their relationship in a separate episode, and I think it was a reasonable priority to skip that.

That said, this episode provided at least two chances of seeing a Moclan wrestle a Xelayan, and they squandered both: first romantically as a much more likely pastime (why would an interspecies pair ever go for the nostalgia of an unrelated third species??). Then when the Engineer could have tried to overpower Talla in the shuttle.

With or without the relationship angle, the fact that her devotion to duty and personal morals placed her in a position in which she had to destroy the life of a member of a victimized minority gave the story power.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder how things would have shaken out if the faked death had actually been as it initially seemed.

A murder conviction would have left Bortus as a single parent, a warrior raising his kid in a ship of aliens who don’t get his culture...

Wait...that’s Whorf & Alexander.

Remove ads