From Dogs to Dragons: Kobold Evolution

Kobolds in Dungeons & Dragons have their roots in mythology, but they have gradually transformed into devious trapmakers capable of routing a high-level party, and for that we can thank a DM named Tucker.

Kobolds in Dungeons & Dragons have their roots in mythology, but they have gradually transformed into devious trapmakers capable of routing a high-level party, and for that we can thank a DM named Tucker.

[h=3]The OG Kobold[/h]Aaron Mahnke's Lore podcast, "Tampered," gives the origin of the kobold as beginning with "goblin," a phrase originating in the Middle Ages -- kobold, gobold, gobolin -- the root word being "kob," which means "beneath the earth" (sharing origin with the word "cove").

Kobolds in folklore were fey-like beings of Germanic mythology about the size of a small child, divided into a variety of types depending on where they lived: house kobolds were more human-like, mine kobolds were hunched and ugly, while ship kobolds smoked pipes and dressed like sailors. Of the three types, D&D draws inspiration from the mining kobold:

Folklorists have proposed that the mine kobold derives from the beliefs of the ancient Germanic people. Scottish historical novelist Walter Scott has suggested that the Proto-Norse based the kobolds on the short-statured Finns, Lapps, and Latvians who fled their invasions and sought shelter in northern European caves and mountains. There they put their skills at smithing to work and, in the beliefs of the proto-Norse, came to be seen as supernatural beings. These beliefs spread, becoming the kobold, the Germanic gnome, the French goblin and the Scottish bogle. In contrast, Humorists William Edmonstoune Aytoun and Theodore Martin (writing as "Bon Gaultier") have proposed that the Norse themselves were the models for the mine kobold and similar creatures, such as dwarfs, goblins, and trolls; Norse miners and smiths "were small in their physical proportions, and usually had their stithies near the mouths of the mines among the hills." This gave rise to myths about small, subterranean creatures, and the stories spread across Europe "as extensively as the military migrations from the same places did".

Of the mine kobolds, they were described as two-foot tall old men dressed like miners with pitch-black skin and ugly features. Their hearts glowed with a light "about the size of a cheese plate."

Mine kobolds were often portrayed as malicious, evil beasts who plagued miners. They were blamed for all sorts of noises in a mine, and were were fond of playing pranks on humans who trespassed in their territory. Mine kobolds would fool errant miners into taking an ore that burned to the touch -- what we now know today as cobalt, which bears their namesake.

It's perhaps no surprise that by the time kobolds debuted in D&D, they were portrayed as another variant of goblin. They wouldn't stay that way for long.
[h=3]Consider the Kobold[/h]D&D's Supplement II: Blackmoor portrayed kobolds as weaker goblins. It wasn't until Advanced Dungeons & Dragons First Editionthat they appeared as distinct from goblins. Their appearance would change with each edition:

Since then, they have been scaly lizards with dog faces, dog creatures with scales, dog creatures that look disturbingly like rats, tiny lizard people, and basically baby dragonborn. They are another one of those things that have been in every edition. Even the original White Box in 1974. And they are steeped in D&D Lore. Every group has thumped their way through a kobold cave at low levels, treating the kobolds as experience point filled pinatas. They dwell in every climate, and they can be found just about anywhere where first level adventurers need an opponent. And as much as the books try to tell us that the kobolds are clever, cunning, and inventive alchemists and trapsmiths, that never seems to be borne out at the table. Unless your DM is named Tucker.

Ah yes, Tucker's Kobolds. Then editor of Dragon Magazine, Roger E. Moore, had quite a bit to say about kobolds and none of it good.
[h=3]"Little Things--Used Well"[/h]Moore's editorial in Dragon Magazine #127 would go down in history. He explained how a DM named Tucker ran a dangerous dungeon when Moore was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. The players were in the higher level ranges (6th to 12th, which was considered higher level in First Edition than it would today) and jaded because of a challenge in monster design that faced many gaming groups:

Many high-level characters have little to do because they're not challenged. They yawn at tarrasques and must be forcibly kept awake when a lich appears. The DMs involved don't know what to do, so they stop dealing with the problem and the characters go into Character Limbo. Getting to high level is hard, but doing anything once you get there is worse. One of the key problems in adventure design lies in creating opponents who can challenge powerful characters. Singular monsters like tarrasques and liches are easy to gang up on; the party can concentrate its firepower on the target until the target falls down dead and wiggles its little feet in the air. Designing monsters more powerful than a tarrasque is self-defeating; if the group kills your super-monster, what will you do next--send in its mother? That didn't work on Beowulf, and it probably won't work here.

Tucker's solution? Kobolds of course:

This dungeon had corridors that changed all of your donkeys into huge flaming demons or dropped the whole party into acid baths, but the demons were wienies compared to the kobolds on Level One. These kobolds were just regular kobolds, with 1-4 hp and all that, but they were mean. When I say they were mean, I mean they were bad, Jim. They graduated magna cum laude from the Sauron Institute for the Criminally Vicious.

Tucker's kobolds used every dirty trick in the book, including locking doors, setting corridors on fire, using crossbows and murder holes, Molotov cocktails, and creating a honeycomb of small tunnels they could traverse easily to harry the PCs.

DMs and designers took note. But it would take six years before Moore's tale was put into practice in an official D&D product.
[h=3]Kobolds & Dragons[/h]Paul Arden Lidberg, Colin McComb, and Thomas M. Reid were taking notes when they designed Dragon Mountain, as described by Rick Swan in Dragon Magazine #200's review:

It’s a funhouse of foul-tempered monsters and convoluted traps, designed for characters with the stamina of Greek gods and an appetite for abuse. Best of all, it boasts one of the nastiest, sneakiest surprises I'’ve ever seen in a fantasy adventure. I won’t spill the beans, but I’ll give you a hint: The surprise involves one of the game’s most underused and underappreciated adversaries--hundreds of them, in fact.

Swan's talking about kobolds, of course:

The kobolds of Dragon Mountain have adapted to their surroundings so well that they have learned to use many of the old dwarven weapons and traps that were left after the dragon took power. They utilize their resources to the fullest extent possible, and they acquire additional supplies and so forth from the various villages and towns that they raid and plunder. The kobolds understand that they are heavily overmatched in toe-to-toe fights, so they almost never combat enemies this way if they can avoid it. Instead, they try to lure invaders into specially prepared traps where they can bombard the enemy with flaming oil, deadfalls, poisonous arrows, and so forth.

Their tactics include a witch doctor casting a web on PCs followed by arrows and spears; being lured into a pit trap with a stinking cloud cast into it; heat metal cast by a shaman on warriors while kobolds attack; casting silence on spellcasters; using charm or hold on PCs; snaring them with nets and ropes; and when all that fails, using surprise to attempt to overbear PCs with sheer numbers.

MTlGuy explains the connection between Tucker's kobolds and the Dragon Mountain kobolds:

Long story short, 'Dragon Mountain' is a fallen Dwarf Fortress shared between a Red Dragon and a dozen Kobold clans that has been extensively renovated according to the Kobolds preferences. The mountain planeshifts to another world every few months or so at the behest of its resident Red Dragon. The Kobolds then raid the surrounding settlements for food, materiel, and treasure...The notes suggest that the DM play the Kobolds as though they were on a learning curve. Tactics that work the first time, the second and the third start to provoke responses from the Kobolds that result in diminishing returns or responses that defeat the tactic utterly.

By the time Third Edition was published, kobolds had decidedly changed. They were scaly, crocodile-like beings who worshiped dragons and were known for their ability to create traps. Tucker's demonstration -- thanks to Moore's retelling -- gave DMs everywhere some wicked ideas on how "little things, used well" could be deadly no matter what they looked like.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

pemerton

Legend
And, remember, flaming oil is not a normal missile. Sure, Protection from Normal Missiles blocks darts, but, not those burning bombs.
Agreed. I was more thinking of it in relation to dart-throwing kobolds.

But, as far as doing away with the Caves of Chaos style adventure, AFAIC, GOOD!. Going into the lair/home of these creatures, IMO, SHOULD be a death trap. Yes, it's a home, but, it's also going to be a very defensible place.

<snip>

It's funny. I tell the players that there is a haunted necropolis over there and they are rightfully scared. They are cautious and worried and whatnot. Tell them that there is a cave of goblins over there and it's "Wahoo, xp piñatas." Because, frankly, that's pretty much how humanoids are presented in the game.
Well, if you look at it in wargame terms, there has to be some piece that's at the bottom of the power gradient. Kobolds and goblins are it!

And looked at in genre terms, there's also a certain logic to it. In LotR the orcs of Cirith Ungol are worried that a single great Elven or Numenorean warrior might be asaulting their tower. And the heroes of the Silmarillion are pretty good at orc-hewing.

If the system supports character growth to those sorts of legendary degrees, then it follows that ordinary troops (including orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc) will eventually be fairly easily overcome.

There's a tradition in classic D&D design of coming up with threats to PCs that do an end-run around the level mechanics, but - as I posted in reply to [MENTION=3285]talien[/MENTION] upthread - I'm not a big fan, because these seem like rules exploits rather than genuinely fair play (your save vs poison gets better with level, and your ability to survive pit traps gets better with level because of hp, but because Gygax never bothered to write in any quicksand rules then your 12th level fighter is as vulnerable to submerging and drowning as your 1st level one? - that seems like a cheat to me).

If you want to have "squad leader" style play in a humanoid lair like Caves of Chaos, then use 2nd or maybe 3rd level PCs. That should do the job.

Hussar

Legend
If you want to have "squad leader" style play in a humanoid lair like Caves of Chaos, then use 2nd or maybe 3rd level PCs. That should do the job.

No, what I want is for a humanoid lair to be a decent challenge for, say, 7th, 8th level PC's. 2nd or 3rd level PC's shouldn't even consider entering a humanoid lair for the same reason they don't go to that undead filled necropolis or that dragon's lair - it's certain death.

And, the way you do that is to play your humanoids like the fairly intelligent beings that they are. Ballistas in long hallways, cover points, and encounters that occur OUTSIDE of a room :D . None of this, "oh, well, I'll make the dungeon so that each encounter is so far apart, they won't alert each other" stuff.

I want the PC's to be absolutely terrified to go into dungeons.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Well, if you look at it in wargame terms, there has to be some piece that's at the bottom of the power gradient. Kobolds and goblins are it! And looked at in genre terms, there's also a certain logic to it.

Gygax had what was later termed "Gygaxian naturalism" firmly in mind when he designed a lot of the early work. Obviously he didn't call it that, but he had an ecology in mind that involved the notion of "graduating" from different foes further up the Great Chain of Monster Being. The Caves of Chaos are a good example of that. Lower tier monsters like kobolds and bandits were foes appropriate for starting adventurers. As one "moved up" older foes stopped showing up and were replaced by higher monsters, all the way up to giants and dragons.

The Caves themselves do have some nifty traps and other craziness in it. For example, one of the goblin caves has an ogre that the goblins pay to fight for them. As I seem to recall the party could bribe the ogre, too. The goblins are engaged in a civil war and smart PCs can exploit that. The kobolds have some nasty pit traps and other things. A pit was a pretty unpleasant obstacle for 1st level PCs. The more "advanced" monsters like hobgoblins, gnolls, and bugbears have their own caves and also have better tactics. But those monsters are more appropriate for 2nd and 3rd level characters. Eventually you graduate to the priests and the minotaur. If you finish the whole place off, you're ready to move on to Expert! This was very evident in BESM, but even in the higher levels, say Expert, you'd still see a room full of orcs, who could definitely be a threat to a weakened party or be a waste of resources.

Tucker's kobolds reversed the Great Chain of Monster Being and made kobolds really dangerous not by making them individually powerful but by having them play nasty. As much as the Great Chain of Monster Being is a cliche, so too can Tucker's kobolds.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
As far as "Where do they get their arrowheads" goes, well, come on. Let's not get too carried away here. You don't really need a functioning mine to have arrows. But, since they are digging in the ground, finding iron shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Never minding what they can gather from raiding and whatnot.
Flint layer in the roadside cliff. (Somebody help me out with the geology.) Obsidian near volcanos. Even basic granite works for an arrowhead if you are a lousy craftsman anyways.
Finding material for arrowheads is easy if the arrow is a cheap expendable.

And then when that kobold archer hanging back near the escape hatch finally shoots his one-and-only plundered Arrow of Debuffing a Hero at you...

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Flint layer in the roadside cliff. (Somebody help me out with the geology.) Obsidian near volcanos. Even basic granite works for an arrowhead if you are a lousy craftsman anyways.
Finding material for arrowheads is easy if the arrow is a cheap expendable.

You can make arrowheads from heat-hardened wood or bone, too. But I agree... don't get too carried away with the exact details of monster ecology.

Hussar

Legend
Jokes aside though, I do wish that D&D would be a bit more ... what's the word, aggressive when dealing with intelligent monsters in lairs. Far too many modules are designed with the notion that we can't make this or that dungeon crawl too difficult.

There are so many very simple changes you can make to a dungeon crawl to make it a LOT more challenging:

1. add encounters between rooms. Traveling guards or whatnot.
2. three conditions of a lair - at rest, when the alarm is raised and high alert. All this would take is a couple of added maps - simply note encounter changes on the new maps.
3. far more use of three dimensions - add verticality to the dungeon makes crawling a lot more interesting
4. actual defenses being built by the inhabitants. Whether traps or weapons, or, heck, simple stuff like defensible locations and actual guards, not some sleeping kobold in the corner.

It does bother me a bit that DM's and players too have been trained to think of dungeon crawls as xp pinatas. Very simple stuff can really, really change the tactical situation and make it much more interesting.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Jokes aside though, I do wish that D&D would be a bit more ... what's the word, aggressive when dealing with intelligent monsters in lairs. Far too many modules are designed with the notion that we can't make this or that dungeon crawl too difficult.

It does bother me a bit that DM's and players too have been trained to think of dungeon crawls as xp pinatas. Very simple stuff can really, really change the tactical situation and make it much more interesting.
As a thought experiment, I once used a GP limit (what can the lord afford to build?) to figure out what traps and defenses might be on the door of a well-guarded keep that wanted to prevent bandits from plundering the family / jewels.

I blew out the XP budget for the scenario without even putting any monsters inside.

Portcullis barrier, arrow slit and "click plate" to trigger a crossbow, stairway with 55-gal drum of Grease at the top ... and the "intruders" were still in the foyer.

rmcoen

Adventurer
Someone upthread posted the design question for a lair: Is this a Home? A battlefield? A mix of both (like a castle)? Think about your house - okay, maybe not. Think about a house in a wartorn land, or where law and order isn't ubiquitous (inner city slums, perhaps). Your basic home has significant entry deterence - locks, barred windows, doubled doors, doubled locks. But once inside, it likely has nothing else beyond an irate homeowner with a makeshift weapon (bat, firepoker, maybe a gun). A rich homeowner, perhaps a "safe room" hidden away. Most people don't want to have to unlock doors or avoid boobytraps inside their living area - especially if they sleepwalk, get the midnight munchies, etc.

Now a castle, that's a little different. Castles have guards, walls, moats, weapon towers, and a killing gr... um, parade ground. And then maybe another set of locked barred doors to get into the central building. And once inside... well, you have guards, and spiral staircases designed with the handedness of the inhabitants. But mostly no traps, no deathfalls, etc, because again, you live here. A border fort that expects constant combat... still focuses the defenses on the entrance (the walls), not the inside where you live and work and runa round in panic.

So why would a humanoid lair be different? You've already got (sans magic or umber hulks) a pretty good defensive setup: one entrance. Defend the heck out of the entrance, despite the inconvenience when running down the stream for water, or berry gathering. Then some guards deeper in, to keep the peace. Locked doors / blockages for family groups, the chief, the treasury... okay, maybe a trap or three at the treasury too. But no deathtraps where your kids run around.

Unless you live on a road, where invaders routinely barge in, on their way somewhere else. *Then* you either move out of the way, encouraging the invaders to speedily leave your territory, or you make it as absolutely inconvenient as possible, with deathtraps all along the main route - while you and your tribe live *off* the main route. This has the likelihood, though, of pissing off the invaders enough that they stop and "deal with" you, though...

Hussar

Legend
Someone upthread posted the design question for a lair: Is this a Home? A battlefield? A mix of both (like a castle)? Think about your house - okay, maybe not. Think about a house in a wartorn land, or where law and order isn't ubiquitous (inner city slums, perhaps). Your basic home has significant entry deterence - locks, barred windows, doubled doors, doubled locks. But once inside, it likely has nothing else beyond an irate homeowner with a makeshift weapon (bat, firepoker, maybe a gun). A rich homeowner, perhaps a "safe room" hidden away. Most people don't want to have to unlock doors or avoid boobytraps inside their living area - especially if they sleepwalk, get the midnight munchies, etc.

Now a castle, that's a little different. Castles have guards, walls, moats, weapon towers, and a killing gr... um, parade ground. And then maybe another set of locked barred doors to get into the central building. And once inside... well, you have guards, and spiral staircases designed with the handedness of the inhabitants. But mostly no traps, no deathfalls, etc, because again, you live here. A border fort that expects constant combat... still focuses the defenses on the entrance (the walls), not the inside where you live and work and runa round in panic.

So why would a humanoid lair be different? You've already got (sans magic or umber hulks) a pretty good defensive setup: one entrance. Defend the heck out of the entrance, despite the inconvenience when running down the stream for water, or berry gathering. Then some guards deeper in, to keep the peace. Locked doors / blockages for family groups, the chief, the treasury... okay, maybe a trap or three at the treasury too. But no deathtraps where your kids run around.

Unless you live on a road, where invaders routinely barge in, on their way somewhere else. *Then* you either move out of the way, encouraging the invaders to speedily leave your territory, or you make it as absolutely inconvenient as possible, with deathtraps all along the main route - while you and your tribe live *off* the main route. This has the likelihood, though, of pissing off the invaders enough that they stop and "deal with" you, though...

Sure, you don't want death traps in the middle of the hallway in your home. But, what about emplacing ballista? Or having barrels of oil at strategic points? Fairly organized guard rotations? Dogs/pets to warn of intruders?

Heck, even something as simple as heavy doors at intervals to seal off areas. Heck, barred gates? There are all sorts of nasty things you can do to defend an area.

Remove ads

Remove ads