Wherein we ask each other dialect questions we don't quite understand

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Way, way back in the day, I met a girl from England who invited me to "come round and knock me up sometime."

When I lived in a US port city, British military ships would port for a couple of days. The British sailors would flood the local nightlife. I remember they got a kick out some signs in front of the nightclubs:
"Come shag the night away with us."
"Shag contest Saturday night."

A few years ago, when visiting Sweden for work, I spent time with my Swedish and English coworkers. I taught them the meaning of "riding shotgun" and "calling shotgun."

Do our non-Americans here know why "knock up" is funny to Americans? Do you know the terms Shag and shotgun? Do our non-Southerners here know the Shag? (I bet few Southerners even know the Shag, nowadays.)

Bullgrit

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
what does a butter knife look like?

I was hosting an event, and a guest asked for a butter knife. I reached in my drawer and produced what I was raised to call a butter knife and she decried that it was not a butter knife. Lacking any other such thing, she had to make due with what I gave her.

You probably handed her a table knife. A butter knife looks like these:

Attachments

• butter knife 1.jpg
    butter knife 1.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 227
  • butter knife 2.jpg
    butter knife 2.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 220
  • butter knife 3.jpg
    butter knife 3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 221

Ryujin

Legend
Very much so. It's a lilting, almost sing-song accent. I really like it. There are dozens of very different English accents, too - Cockney, Liverpool, RP (the one you probably think of as English), West Country, Birmingham, Geordie, etc., all very different to one another.

I know what you mean, though. In the US I can differentiate "general Southern" and "New York" if they're pronounced, but little else, though I understand there are far more. I can't distinguish US and Canadian accents from each other - is that typical?

Over the years many American newsreaders have actually been Canadian, because a general Canadian city accent tends to come off sounding Middle American. One example would be John Roberts of Fox News who, when I was a teenager, was a VJ on Canada's music TV station "Much Music" and known as J.D. Roberts. The Canadian accents that are portrayed in media are a general mish-mash of rural Canadian and East Coast Canada manners of speech.

On Welsh: Actress Eve Myles (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Merlin, Broadchurch) is one who I think has a beautiful example of a Welsh accent.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A few years ago, when visiting Sweden for work, I spent time with my Swedish and English coworkers. I taught them the meaning of "riding shotgun" and "calling shotgun."

Do our non-Americans here know why "knock up" is funny to Americans? Do you know the terms Shag and shotgun? Do our non-Southerners here know the Shag? (I bet few Southerners even know the Shag, nowadays.)

We know - and use - the shotgun terminology. While American in origin, it's not at all obscure.

The 'knock-up' anecdote is one I've bizarrely heard from every American I've ever spoken to about dialects. I've never used or heard the term in any way except the "get pregnant" meaning, though I am aware of the alternate meaning.

I only know about the Shag because [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION] gave me a book about it at my first Gen Con. As you know, it means something very different over hear. If anyone says to you "fancy a shag?" they are not asking you to engage in a traditional Southern US dance. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Over the years many American newsreaders have actually been Canadian, because a general Canadian city accent tends to come off sounding Middle American. One example would be John Roberts of Fox News who, when I was a teenager, was a VJ on Canada's music TV station "Much Music" and known as J.D. Roberts. The Canadian accents that are portrayed in media are a general mish-mash of rural Canadian and East Coast Canada manners of speech.

On Welsh: Actress Eve Myles (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Merlin, Broadchurch) is one who I think has a beautiful example of a Welsh accent.

The two most famous examples, I suppose, would be Anthony Hopkins and Tom Jones. Although the former doesn't always use it.

Oh, and Christian Bale. Who is Welsh, but when talking in a British accent oddly seems to have developed a Cockney accent instead.

Remove ads