D&D 5E Druid Class, Wildshape: Which feats are retained when in Wildshape form?

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I've been trying to find information on which feats (if any) are retained when a Druid is in Wildshape form.

For example, is the Alert feat retained and therefore grants any Wildshape form +5 initiative, can't be surprised etc...

Appreciate an official ruling on this (link).

Thanks

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
That's easy. Whatever makes sense. :)

pp. 66-67:
While you are transformed, the following rules apply:
Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to those of the creature. I the creature has the same proficiency bonus as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creatures bonus instead of yours...

So. If a feat is depending on Int, Wis, or Cha it would seem you can use those.

...You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them [IF the new form is physically capable of doing so.

emphases mine.

If you have the Polearm Master/Weapon Master/Sharpshooter/etc... feat and your animal form can't wield weapons, then no. You can't use it.

If you have the Riutalist or Magic Initiate feat, you can't cast spells/speak. So no...though you can maintain concentration on magic you perform before shaping!

Things like Tough or Skulker [13 Dex. prereq] or Resilient or Observant....does it rely on/effect your Int, Wis, or Cha? If not, nope. If so, have at it.

So, yeah...depends on what the feat does, it's prerequisite (does your animal form have a 13 or higher Dexterity to use Skulker?), and which abilities [Int, Wis or Cha] it relies on/effects. So...whatever makes sense. :)

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
That's easy. Whatever makes sense. :)

pp. 66-67:

While you are transformed, the following rules apply:
Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to those of the creature. I the creature has the same proficiency bonus as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creatures bonus instead of yours...

So. If a feat is depending on Int, Wis, or Cha it would seem you can use those.

...You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them [IF the new form is physically capable of doing so.

emphases mine.

If you have the Polearm Master/Weapon Master/Sharpshooter/etc... feat and your animal form can't wield weapons, then no. You can't use it.

If you have the Riutalist or Magic Initiate feat, you can't cast spells/speak. So no...though you can maintain concentration on magic you perform before shaping!

Things like Tough or Skulker [13 Dex. prereq] or Resilient or Observant....does it rely on/effect your Int, Wis, or Cha? If not, nope. If so, have at it.

So, yeah...depends on what the feat does, it's prerequisite (does your animal form have a 13 or higher Dexterity to use Skulker?), and which abilities [Int, Wis or Cha] it relies on/effects. So...whatever makes sense

Thanks for the feedback. A feat list (excludes any adjustment to Str, Dex, Con stats, focusing on the "features" gained) below would be fair for Druids to retain in Wildshape form (and if the form was capable, e.g. martial adept with a tiger form, or grappler with giant crab):

Feat (Prerequisite)
Alert (none)
Actor (none)
Charger (none)
Dungeon Delver (none)
Grappler (Strength 13 or higher) - If Wildshape form has Str >=13, and maybe the grapple action/attack
Inspiring Leader (Charisma 13 or higher)
Keen Mind (none)
Linguist (none) - Wildshape form only speaks languages the creature knows, but understand all known languages
Lucky (none)
Mage Slayer (none)
Martial Adept (none) - If Wildshape form has physical characteristics to perform maneuver?
Mobile (none)
Observant (none)
Resilient (none) - If Int, Wis, Cha chosen as stat (actually inclined to keep the saving throw proficiency for all stats, as written in the PHB)
Savage Attacker (none)
Sentinel (none)
Sharpshooter (none)
Skilled (none)
Skulker (Dexterity 13 or higher) - If Wildshape form has Dex >=13
War Caster (The ability to cast at least one spell) - If Druid cast a concentration spell prior Wildshape form (e.g. call lightning)

Cut and edit the list as you see fit, I'm interested to know what would be a more solid guideline than just making an ad hoc list, some make sense, some are maybe.

Green - makes sense, obvious ruling.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I see no reason why Charger, Dungeon Delver, Mage Slayer, Savage Attacker, or Sentinel wouldn't also work in Wild Shape. The Monster Manual errata might clarify what a "melee weapon attack" is in terms of claws and bites.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Cut and edit the list as you see fit, I'm interested to know what would be a more solid guideline than just making an ad hoc list, some make sense, some are maybe.

As you wish.

Feat (Prerequisite)
Alert (none)

Yes.
Actor (none)

You skipped "Athlete", which is just as well since it's a "no." Your body and movement, in my book/game, are the animal's. Your athleticism in your normal form does not translate.

Actor? Sure. Ok. It's Cha. based, you get to keep it. Obviously, the "mimic speech/animal sounds" feature can't be used unless you are an animal that can mimic speech/sounds, such as a raven, parrot or magpie, a hyena could laugh, a goat could scream, etc...

Charger (none)

Specifies the use of a melee weapon, so no to that. I would probably be inclined to rule the "shove" use of the feat (provided you were an animal of some size/bulk) was ok.

Dungeon Delver (none)
Wis. & Int. dependent. This is a yes/fair game.

Grappler (Strength 13 or higher) - If Wildshape form has Str >=13, and maybe the grapple action/attack

Right. If the animal has the strength and means to grapple or, like, a constrictor snake or something that specifies a grappling attack in the animal's stat block, then fine.

Inspiring Leader (Charisma 13 or higher)

Ohhh, I see now, you already eliminated all of the weapon dependent ones. Good man. ;)

Inspiring Leader...mmmm, it is Cha. dependent...but I would say it requires speech, "inspiring your companions, shoring up their resolve...". Yeah, I'm gonn amake this the exception to the Int/Wis/Cha "rule." This will be a no at my table.

Keen Mind (none)

Yeah. No problem here.

Linguist (none)

Can't speak. No.

Lucky (none)

Sure. I don't see why not.

Mage Slayer (none)

This gets split, like Charger. The first feature specifies the use of a melee weapon, so, no. The second feature, imposing disadvantage on the concentration save from the damage you inflict...yes. Advantage to spell saves, also, I see no reason would change.

Martial Adept (none) - If Wildshape form has physical characteristics to perform maneuver?

The wildshape having the form to perform the maneuver is not as important as the fact that most of the maneuvers are melee weapon attacks. In fact, a quick once over the Battlemaster maneuvers shows nearly every one is the result of you making "a weapon attack" or "melee weapon attack". The feat is based on using the BM maneuvers and the BM maneuvers are based on the assumption that you are attacking (whether you hit or not) with a [unspoken] "wielded" weapon. The few that don't are so corner that, for simplicity's sake, I'm just going to say this is a No.

Mobile (none)

For me, this is a no. For Remathilis' table, this is a yes (even though 5e is fairly clear in limiting/eliminating "stacking"). SO this is really a call you have to make...and stick to. You can move faster in your normal form...when you become an animal, you take on THEIR movment rate...to say you automatically "fly faster" than other eagles when you turn into an eagle or "slither through tight spaces faster" as a salamander just doesn't sit right with my immersion spidey senses[tm]. So I say this is a no.

Observant (none)

Wis/Int based. So yes.

Resilient (none) - If Int, Wis, Cha chosen as stat

Right. Yes for Int. Wis. Cha. No for Str. Con. Dex.

Savage Attacker (none)

Specifies "melee weapon attack", so no.

Sentinel (none)

Add it to the Charger list. The first two features (about OAs) are fine. The "reaction to make a melee weapon attack" within 5' of you doesn't fly. So this is split.

Sharpshooter (none)

You are using a ranged weapon how? No dice.

Skilled (none)

Would dependent on what the skills or tools were. Let's try to follow our own system and just say "Int/Wis/Cha" based skills, sure. "Str/Con/De" based skills, unless the animal has proficiency with it, no. Obviously, no one in animal form are using tools...unless, maybe they are a chimpanzee.

Skulker (Dexterity 13 or higher) - If Wildshape form has Dex >=13

Right. Yes, if the animal form has >=13 Dex.

War Caster (The ability to cast at least one spell) - If Druid cast a concentration spell prior Wildshape form (e.g. call lightning)

I would rule, if you want to insist, that they can have the advantage to Con. saves to maintain concentration. Fine. The other two features, obviously are non-starters.

So, like I said, whatever makes sense and/or your table/houserules agree.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Specifies the use of a melee weapon, so no to that.

No, it say "melee weapon attack"

"When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature."

Now, look at the attack section of say, the brown bear.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8+4) piercing damage.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage.

Furthermore, the errata for Unarmed strike says

"“Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an unarmed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons)."

So Charger, Sentinel, Savage Attack, and Mage Slayer are all legal as long as the form you take has a melee weapon attack (a bite, claw, gore, etc)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases