D&D 5E What setting is best for a first time DM?

Minsc

Explorer
I want to create the best D&D "feel" for the players.

Two of my players are brand new, and have never rolled a d20 before.

On top of that, I'm new to being the DM. While I'm looking forward to this, I do want to make things as easy as possible.

Thanks!!

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I would argue not to worry about setting right now. Start with the Starter Set - that has enough setting that you can get the 'real' D&D feel without having to get overwhelmed with details. After that you can decide whether to go further with the setting that the starter set includes, or whether to try and brand new setting.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The setting that is "best" for any DM is whichever setting it is that the DM finds most appealing, and thus can easily generate interest in their players with their contagious enjoyment of the setting.

Of course, I'll also echo the core of the point [MENTION=60100]Rabbitbait[/MENTION] makes: no matter what setting you happen to go with, start small and build up over time. Trying to take on a large-scale and high-complexity view of a setting right off the bat is likely to cause more issues and also manage an overall feeling of less detail to the setting.

Wik

First Post
Yeah. Keep it simple, and it'll work out wonderfully. You really only need two maps - one of the starting town and surrounding environs (say, everything up to a two days' walk away from town), and one of the starting adventure site.

That's it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
By 'best' I assume you mean 'most authentic' and 'true to D&D traditions.'
You can probably count on the rest of your players to help properly indoctrinate them.
On top of that, I'm new to being the DM. While I'm looking forward to this, I do want to make things as easy as possible.
If you've been a player since 2003 or longer, it shouldn't be a problem. You have the experience, the familiarity with the game's conventions, you just need to apply it.

The larger setting doesn't matter: at 1st you can focus on just the immediate environs. A dungeon to explore. A town to rest in. Off you go.

devincutler

Explorer

Thanks!!

Well, since the starter set and most of the other published official adventures happen in Faerun, I would advise to start there. There is plenty of source material to make it as comfortable as possible to fill in the history and the world as your game develops.

Azurewraith

Explorer
As others have stated you only need to be aware of the initial area surrounding the starter town and the first "dungeon". Others may disagree but the best setting is a Homebrew setting you even better one that the pcs just arrive in so they are clueless and you can fill in details as they come up. I say this because in a Homebrew world you know the details and dont need to worry your self with whats going on in candle keep or wich sorcerer king is which.

delericho

Legend

I would start with the "Starter Set", which is really good. The setting there is what I'd term "Forgotten Realms-lite". That is, it is strictly speaking part of FR, but the adventure is sufficiently self-contained that you probably wouldn't know it.

Li Shenron

Legend

Thanks!!

I'd suggest 'Vanilla D&D Setting', which means 'stick with stuff in core books, no special exceptions or variations, and let it generate the setting by itself'.

So you'll have elves and orcs and undead and dragons and beholders etc... fairly common stuff in character terms and monsters terms.

Grab yourself a random nice map (on the local scale, forget about the larger scales until later) and make up the names of people, locations, and organizations.

Let the setting 'emerge' from the bottom up, i.e. from small scale to large scale, in time, as the PCs progress with the quests...

I think every DM needs every help he/she can get. So I will just repeat my previous posters' advice: Get the Starter Set, it is beautiful. Gives you everything you need (if you are someone who already DMed and just wants to start with the new edition). And judging by your avatar and forum name the setting will also feel somehow familiar. :)
Start small, start casual and do not over-prepare. The material you will find in the set will be more than enough for your game (at least for the first, let's say, six sessions).

Remove ads