DM's Guild Roundup: Wake the Leviathan, Summoner, and Modular Tile Set - Caverns

As the summer gets hotter, more and more folks are working on their summer campaigns and the need for more content increases. Everywhere there are goblins arming for war and liches sharpening their spell casting skills and hoarding spell components. To help out with these summer campaigns, we have three tasty treasures from the DM's Guild. Enjoy!

To Wake The Leviathan
By Rich Lescouflair

This month our regular Guild Adept offering is a great adventure from Rich Lescouflair and a host of talented content creators. To Wake The Leviathan is more than a simple dungeon crawl or jaunt into the outer planes. Within the frozen lands of Stygia, a war machine of immense power, lost for many hundreds of years, is waiting to be awoken. Mordenkainen has decided that you are the right ones to do this particular deed and has contracted with some shady types to get the characters into position to retrieve the Leviathan, which is called Firaljan.

Without a doubt, there is some Spelljammer influence here, but I also detect a hint of an old Alternity adventure. The Last Warhulk was a great deal of fun to play and run and To Wake the Leviathan feels equally entertaining, Several factions can serve as potential enemies or frenemies to the player characters and the action feels appropriate as well as exciting. To Wake the Leviathan is for higher level play as well, so those 11+ level characters will get a workout.

The Summoner

By Nicolo Antonucci

Looking for a new class to play? Do you miss the summoning madness of D&D 3.5? I know I do, which is why The Summoner by Nicolo Antonucci caught my eye. Summoning allies, both good and bad, has been a mainstay of D&D play through several editions, but is largely missing from vanilla D&D 5E. The author has built a fairly balanced character class that has access to magic and spells, but also a number of conjuring abilities and shadow magics to play with. The Summoner has a d8 Hit Die and uses Intelligence and Charisma for saving throws. This makes a Summoner comparable to a Warlock in regards to its basic attributes. Charisma is the spell casting ability,

All summoners have the ability to Conjure Shadows, which are weak shadow forms of themselves. At level 2 however, they begin to specialize in how their magic develops. The Clonemaster uses their experience and magic to make their shadows more potent, eventually allowing these shadow clones to cast spells and perform other actions. A Shadownight imbues themselves with shadow to become more potent in physical combat. Finally, the Tamer of Shadows creates shadow companions that can take forms other than the caster themselves. Over time, these become more powerful and act much like the beasts similar to a Ranger's companion.

I really like The Summoner. It seems easy to play and taps into some older ideas for flavor and ability. Let us know if you try one out!

Modular Tile Set - Caverns
By: Andy Tan

Modular Tile Set – Caverns by Andy Tan is a great accessory for any DM. This set includes chambers, cross sections, hallways, and even some stairs, all of which would be invaluable to making instant random dungeons. And it is not just a few tiles, there are ten pages of printable sections all rendered in color should you desire that. With enough of the tiles you could make quite a large dungeon for your players to adventure in. Alternatively, you can also make effective small caves where a single creature might be making its lair. Cannot recommend these enough for those folks who are not the world's best cave drawers (like myself).

This article was contributed by Sean Hillman (SMHWorlds) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

For me the D&D summoner should be like the one of the pathfinder but with some incarnum soulmelds or akasha powers about adding monster traits, and with elements from the subgenre of monster pet trainer/tamer(for example Digimon, Pokemon, Monster Rancher or Bakugan).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases