Ranger Beast Master: errata will add new features to your animal companion!

lkj

Hero
But the UA ranger wasn't even as strong as the paladin. Or an EK. I really don't see an issue. Their abilities actually DID stuff, rather than just mildly improve the stuff most everyone handwaves away (and would still be better solved by a druid).

Really that's the problem. They're basically just a druid that loses half their spell progression and wildshape to shoot a bow twice a round.

Again, I think that Mearls approach for alternate class features will address these problems. At least that's my initial impression.

AD

Pauln6

Hero
But the UA ranger wasn't even as strong as the paladin. Or an EK. I really don't see an issue. Their abilities actually DID stuff, rather than just mildly improve the stuff most everyone handwaves away (and would still be better solved by a druid).

Really that's the problem. They're basically just a druid that loses half their spell progression and wildshape to shoot a bow twice a round.

Rangers are not a pure combat class in 5e. They have a ton of exploratory abilities. Expecting them to perform as well as a class with less out of combat utility is probably not sensible. They are nothing like 4e rangers.

lkj

Hero
Though, I should add that none of the changes would allow the ranger to nova like a paladin. Instead, Mearls goal was to make the class features more meaningful rather than feeling like ribbons.

If I get time later, I'll try to summarize his draft ideas. But no promises.

AD

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Why aren't they just using the revised ranger from UA? It was actually decent and more than just a sad collection of ribbons.

Several of the features of the revised ranger were too good and obviated elements of the exploration pillar rather working with them.

Rangers are not a pure combat class in 5e. They have a ton of exploratory abilities. Expecting them to perform as well as a class with less out of combat utility is probably not sensible. They are nothing like 4e rangers.

The problem is magic and the outlander background basically handles all that stuff. Their exploration class perks are Natural Explorer, which is mediocre and also given at level 1, so a dip handles it. Favored Enemy, Primeval Awareness and Hide in Plain Sight are all thoroughly underwhelming. Land's Stride is pretty good, but couldnt they have let it extend to magical plants? Vanish has at least some use, but most games peter out before 14th level anyways, and Pass Without Trace is a spell druids have had since 3rd level.

You know what rocks in the exploration pillar? Wild Shape. Speak with Plants, Commune with Nature and Scrying. Find the Path. Transport via Plants. Wind Walk. That's a lot to give up for the roughly cantrip level damage of 2 bow shots per round and 1 extra HP on average.

Rangers really need love. Not that they'd admit it, being gruff loners.

Though, I should add that none of the changes would allow the ranger to nova like a paladin. Instead, Mearls goal was to make the class features more meaningful rather than feeling like ribbons.

If I get time later, I'll try to summarize his draft ideas. But no promises.

AD

I appreciate it! I'm not looking for them to nova, just not be half-ass druids. Making favored enemy actually worthwhile in combat would help.

lkj

Hero
Holy cow! Some awesome person already done way better than a summary (and has done them for the other Happy Fun Hours as well if you are interested). Here's the alternate ranger class feature text:

https://thinkdm.wordpress.com/hfh/revised-ranger-2018/

It does lack Mike explaining his thinking. So I do still recommend listening to the VOD. Which can be found at:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/338523993

(Another post edit): The other reason to listen to the cast is that the text is in extreme draft form. It's just a rough idea of where he might go. In fact, one of the alternate class features is a direct copy and past from a fighter subclass he worked on awhile back.

It wouldn't be worthwhile to try to figure out the balance of this stuff. He's just getting ideas down.

AD

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
Holy cow! Some awesome person already done way better than a summary (and has done them for the other Happy Fun Hours as well if you are interested). Here's the alternate ranger class feature text:

https://thinkdm.wordpress.com/hfh/revised-ranger-2018/

It does lack Mike explaining his thinking. So I do still recommend listening to the VOD. Which can be found at:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/338523993

(Another post edit): The other reason to listen to the cast is that the text is in extreme draft form. It's just a rough idea of where he might go. In fact, one of the alternate class features is a direct copy and past from a fighter subclass he worked on awhile back.

It wouldn't be worthwhile to try to figure out the balance of this stuff. He's just getting ideas down.

AD

Some interesting stuff there. Interesting that they are looking at options for a spell free beastmaster and a spell free hunter, although exploits sound like something you'd want fighters to have.

lkj

Hero
Some interesting stuff there. Interesting that they are looking at options for a spell free beastmaster and a spell free hunter, although exploits sound like something you'd want fighters to have.

That table is a straight cut and paste from a fighter subclass he did awhile back. I suspect it will get polished and reflavored

AD

Remove ads