ONE PUNCH MAN (Manga/Anime) - Just a Hero for Fun

horacethegrey

First Post
Searched the forum to see if anyone started a thread. Found none, hence this.

Meet Saitama, once an ordinary salaryman, until one day he becomes tired of his dull existence and decides to become a superhero. To that end, he trains intensely for three years until he gains superhuman strength. Along the way he loses all his hair due to the intensity of his training, but that's a small price to pay to achieve his dream and become the hero he's always wanted to be.

Only one problem... He's become too strong. So strong in fact that any monster Saitama comes across is utterly destroyed with one punch. Hence the name. Now Saitama struggles to find meaning in his life, as his immense power makes any battle a cakewalk, thus robbing him of any excitement he might have felt before as a hero.

I guess that synopsis didn't engender much confidence no? You can take my word or not, but trust me when I say that this is probably the best shonen manga/anime I've seen in years. It's also one of the funniest, because it's primarily a parody of the shonen genre while also being a straight example of it (like all the best parodies). There are hilarious scenes of straight up mockery of shonen and superhero tropes paired with some of the best action you'll see in a manga and anime.

One Punch Man started as a webcomic written and drawn by the manga artist known only as ONE. After it gained some fame, ONE was approached by Yusuke Murata of Eyeshield 21 fame to redraw the series for Shueisha. It's Murata's stunning art on the redrawn version which really made the series explode in popularity. You can read the manga either in digital form or on print from Viz.

And now One Punch Man is a 12 episode anime from Madhouse. You can watch it on Daisuki.net or on Viz's streaming site. For those that are curious, here's the opening:

[video=youtube;ixXqHh_Bts8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXqHh_Bts8[/video]

I hope you guys take the time to watch/read this incredibly hilarious series. :)

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I have been following the anime episodes online since they were released.

I certainly enjoy it and I agree that it has some very hilarious moments.

If you like anime I would certainly recommend it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I guess that synopsis didn't engender much confidence no?

[...]

I hope you guys take the time to watch/read this incredibly hilarious series. :)

Actually, your synopsis has convinced me to watch the show.

A friend of mine has been telling me for some time to give this one a try, citing how awesome it was to have a one-shot-kill hero, and his description never failed to turn me off to the series. That was because a show about someone who could kill anyone in a single hit sounded so incredibly boring. Hearing that the show is actually aware of that, and structures itself accordingly, is enough to pique my interest, since it sounds like an interesting deconstruction of the usual shonen action fare.

Kudos to you for selling me on this!

horacethegrey

First Post
@Alzrius Glad I could help. :) I actually first heard of this series in another forum and they were already selling the comedic aspect of the premise. Had it been advertised in another way I probably wouldn't have bothered, as I haven't been following anime in years.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases