Morgrave Miscellany: Eberron Sourcebook from Keith Baker

Keith Baker, Eberron's original creator, and other authors have teamed up for a new 164-page PDF Eberron supplement, following up on last year's Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron. It's available for $14.95 on the DM's Guild.

Keith Baker, Eberron's original creator, and other authors have teamed up for a new 164-page PDF Eberron supplement, following up on last year's Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron. It's available for $14.95 on the DM's Guild.

270012.jpg

Along with Eberron's creator Keith Baker, this supplement features writers Ruty Rutenberg, Greg Marks, Shawn Merwin, and Derek Nekritz,

It contains new archetypes based on the 3E Eberron prestige classes, races, racial feats, new forms of dragonmark,more Eberron lore and information, and plenty of plot hooks.

jgsugden

Legend
I've read in some places (ther DM's Guild reviews included) that the mechanics are not very good, ann that makes me iffy to buy it right now.
Is there a rush? If you're not playing an Eberron game today, you can wait and see.

For me, the biggest issue is that KB is working on a book that contains the same/similar elements as this bok, but that book has not been finalized and released, yet. That puts this in the same neihborhood as a Kickstarter board game that puts out an expansion Kickstarter before the base board game ships - finish step 1 before selling step 2.

A

André Soares

Is there a rush? If you're not playing an Eberron game today, you can wait and see.

For me, the biggest issue is that KB is working on a book that contains the same/similar elements as this bok, but that book has not been finalized and released, yet. That puts this in the same neihborhood as a Kickstarter board game that puts out an expansion Kickstarter before the base board game ships - finish step 1 before selling step 2.

Keith is not working on the WGtE. His part of the book is finished. The only thing missing is the Artificer, and it's WotC's responsability. Also he is not in charge of the mechanics in the Miscelanny, he said he did only the lore, because he is not familiar enough with the 5e mechanics to design for it.

lkj

Hero
Keith is not working on the WGtE. His part of the book is finished. The only thing missing is the Artificer, and it's WotC's responsability. Also he is not in charge of the mechanics in the Miscelanny, he said he did only the lore, because he is not familiar enough with the 5e mechanics to design for it.

That said, Jeremy Crawford on one of his Dragon + chats on twitch said that he was working with Keith on the Artificer. At the very least getting extensive input.

AD

A

André Soares

That said, Jeremy Crawford on one of his Dragon + chats on twitch said that he was working with Keith on the Artificer. At the very least getting extensive input.

AD

yeah, but getting imput is a different thing from being working on WGtE... the notion was that that book was unfinished, so Keith should not work on a second book until that one was done. But he does not have editorial control over the artificer, not what is in it, neither when will it be added to WGtE, so that point of him having to wait for the book to be finished to work on something else makes little sense to me.

lkj

Hero
yeah, but getting imput is a different thing from being working on WGtE... the notion was that that book was unfinished, so Keith should not work on a second book until that one was done. But he does not have editorial control over the artificer, not what is in it, neither when will it be added to WGtE, so that point of him having to wait for the book to be finished to work on something else makes little sense to me.

That's fair. And I don't at all disagree that he should feel free to work on private Eberron projects while Wayfinder's is being finalized. I just thought it was worth mentioning that WotC were definitely getting his input (which I know is important to some folks).

Also, having looked at Keith's blog topic on Margraves, he makes it pretty clear that Margrave's is unofficial content and not canon.

http://keith-baker.com/the-morgrave-miscellany/

Couple quotes:

"The Wayfinder’s Guide is officially sanctioned by WotC, even though it is playtest/UA content. The Miscellany is unofficial content, exploring ideas developed by myself and the other authors. As such, it needs to be a separate product."

"The Miscellany isn’t canon. It presents alternate ideas you can use if you find them to be interesting."

AD

Rellott

Explorer
I’m still skeptical about the balance of a lot of the races in Wayfinders, and a number of the reviews for this new Miscellany book mention a significant lack of balance in the archetypes. I worry that Keith Baker is ultimately not a 5e designer - that he’s instead one of the many designers for old editions who are riding the bandwagon of this popular edition without really having a solid grasp of it.

I’m still skeptical about the balance of a lot of the races in Wayfinders, and a number of the reviews for this new Miscellany book mention a significant lack of balance in the archetypes. I worry that Keith Baker is ultimately not a 5e designer - that he’s instead one of the many designers for old editions who are riding the bandwagon of this popular edition without really having a solid grasp of it.

Well, rather than making insinuations, lets get practical.
Which of the archetypes did you find to be out-of-balance, and do you think that they were too powerful, or too weak compared to the current 5e range of subclasses?

Wrathamon

Adventurer

Wayfinders balance of races was/is done by WotC. It was in UA and playtested by wotc. This balance/design work was not done by Keith Baker (even thou he may have input). Wayfinders is an OFFICIAL WOTC product.

This new book is Homebrew. I would look at any mechanics as that. BUT, the lore I would take as official since its Keith :)

I find DMs Guild mechanic stuff doesnt have the extensive playtest needed

ChaosOS

Legend
Bought and read through the book. The lore pieces of the book (>50% of the pages) are excellent as we expect from Keith, he really gets into things like the nature of magic.

The mechanics are pretty heavily from Ruty, to the point that a few of the subclasses (College of Keys for example) are reprints from a previous product (Xanatha's Lost Notes to Everything Else). Given that subclasses are what draw a lot of attention, it's important that these are balanced. Unfortunately, most of them don't feel like they're contributing unique *Eberron* flavor, compared to the various PrCs in 3.5 supplements. The most flavorful of the subclasses, the Bone Knight (originally a PrC in Five Nations) has major balance issues. In addition to being a third caster pulling from the Cleric spell list, the Bone Knight gets *majorly powerful* features - free skeleton and skeletal warhorse companion, with the skeleton upgrading to a dread skeleton at level 10. What's worse is the dread skeleton, a non-MM monster, doesn't have so much as a *pointer* to where you can find it, let alone reprinting the stats as they're supposed to. The later features aren't that much better than eldritch knight, but for something that was supposed to be a highlight of the book I'm disappointed more development time wasn't spent on getting it to a reasonable level.

The other subclass that stands out as a mess is the Host Warlock, which breaks all sorts of 5e design standards in a confusing take on symbiotes. While I like the flavor (even if I consider the symbiote/graft emphasis of Magic of Eberron one of the weirder things in the setting), the execution just isn't there.

There's a few "alternate class options" sidebars, most of which are reasonable, but the Silverbow is just egregious. A divine variant on the Arcane Archer, the Silverbow gets a hilariously overpowered stunning+2d6 radiant arrow option. THe base Arcane Archer only gets blind+2d6 necrotic as its equivalent, a much worse proposition.

For the Races section, the (sub)races themselves are both flavorful and balanced. However, the halfling section brings back some old favorite unique halfling weapons as hideously complex designs, oozing with 3.5 weapon design. One clever highlight is the "Children of Khyber" section, which allows a character to start with an aberrant mark. Rather than making an aberrant mark subrace for every race, there's an aberrant mark race with each subrace representing human or dwarf or elf or...

For Feats, they establish some racial feats that would fit right in with anything out of XGTE. The fledgeling dragonmarks allow a character to develop a dragonmark post-character-creation, however I'm not sure that's totally necessary. I had a PC who wanted to develop their mark of making mid-campaign, and it was easy enough for them to just swap from Vuman to Mark of Making in a small rebuild. The advantage of just rebuilding is it means you're not stuck waiting for 4/8/etc. to make this important story transition.

The most disappointing chunk of the feats section is the Siberys marks, which are a power level mess (Mark of detection is *really* good, Mark of Shadows isn't), a history mess (Mark of Passage iconically got access to Teleport at the Siberys level. Now, it's... Another casting of Teleportation Circle, redundant with the greater mark?), a design mess (Why do Scribing and Cannith get a weird bonus to social rolls with other dragonmarks and dragons?), and an editing mess (any of the siberys marks that improve the associated intuition die). Given that this was supposed to be one of the "big pieces" of the book when Ruty and Keith advertised/described it, I'm rather disappointed.

The last two chapters felt like a waste to me - the advice on noir campaigns is eh, and the level 0 rules just don't have any place in 5e, where level 1 characters already die to a stif fwind.

Overall, a 3/5 product - the mechanics are a 2/5, the lore is a 4/5 (-1 for Dragonforged and the weirdness of the Mark of Death section, plus the last two chapters being ???). Fortunately, Ruty has indicated that they will be taking feedback and issuing a revision in a month, which will hopefully fix all the mechanical issues.

Remove ads

Remove ads