Will 5e be the last edition to emphasize print products?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If they sell pdfs or downloadable versions of some kind, I am okay with no print although I prefer it. If you can only purchase and access your books via sites like DND Beyond, then I would never play that edition.

I don't think it is a binary decision. Print and digital will continue to exist side by side for a long time to come.
Print not emphasized could mean the 3 core books only in print on a regular basis, and everything else only available in print for a limited time with a bunch of collector incentives.

Last edited:

I thought the board games would be replaced totally by videogames, but now there is a new golden age. Internet is helping a lot to sell pdfs by third party companies but it will not the end of the books, because there is a space in the market for tusndoku and bibliomania ( = addiction to buy books although they aren't read). Somebody likes to buy books. It is like the collector edition of a videogame with figures.

Myzzrym

Explorer
I also believe that Print is safe from disappearing - just look at how popular some Prints on Kickstarter are, I don't believe they'll be gone any time soon! (and I sure hope so, I love me some good ol' physical book)

Quartz

Hero
When I pick up my wargaming magazines each month I always lament there isn't a print RPG mag to throw my money at. the UK has at least 3 major wargaming mags but no RPG mags out there?

What are their print runs? From here, Dungeon Magazine had a print run of 40,000. Dragon had a print run of over 125,000 in 1992. Also, their demographics may be different - IIRC wargamers tend to the old (historical) and the young (Warhammer), both groups with higher disposable incomes.

One thing I found interesting brought up in this thread is who seems to have their phones and tablets out for games now around the table and who doesn't. I feel it's often necessary for players since most players if they bother would only bring one book. Most of the time it's at the DM's place so they usually don't have to transport necessary books around, but if isn't then it's they either have to get a rolling box cart or at least reference something on a mobile device. I feel that driving is not an option for me to get to games as I take public transit to get there and back unless I can get a ride.

Dausuul

Legend
One thing to keep in mind is that D&D books are more than just game manuals; they are also read as books for inspiration and entertainment. (One of 4E's big mistakes was failing to recognize this.)

My group is all-digital as far as the gaming side is concerned--there isn't a single book at the table, and only one of us uses a paper character sheet--but I still buy physical books when I want to sit down and read them.

OB1

Jedi Master
One thing to keep in mind is that D&D books are more than just game manuals; they are also read as books for inspiration and entertainment. (One of 4E's big mistakes was failing to recognize this.)

My group is all-digital as far as the gaming side is concerned--there isn't a single book at the table, and only one of us uses a paper character sheet--but I still buy physical books when I want to sit down and read them.

Same here, I’ve bought every book to read, but leave them at home when I go to GM sessions.

My prime table now uses 5 tablets running D&DB, no books and my laptop for campaign structure and notes. The best part is how quickly I can put together an encounter based on what the characters do at the table instead of having to prep everything beforehand. No need to sift back and forth through three different monster books.

But in reading them at home, I’m inspired with ideas for the next session (though I could do that with an e version I do prefer the physical).

Still, I believe digital will be the emphasis. The tools are just too good now, are how a huge portion of new players are being introduced to the game, are more malleable, and IMOHO, speed up and improve the experience at the table.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Still, I believe digital will be the emphasis. The tools are just too good now, are how a huge portion of new players are being introduced to the game, are more malleable, and IMOHO, speed up and improve the experience at the table.

More malleable? Dude, I can take a sheet of paper, and write anything I want on it, in any way. How is an electronic form going to be more malleable than that?

I don't know how many players are *introduced* to the game through electronic tools, and I would like to know how you come to that assessment. What evidence do you have for this?

OB1

Jedi Master
More malleable? Dude, I can take a sheet of paper, and write anything I want on it, in any way. How is an electronic form going to be more malleable than that?

I don't know how many players are *introduced* to the game through electronic tools, and I would like to know how you come to that assessment. What evidence do you have for this?

Electronic forms are more malleable than a printed book, as they can be patched and updated at any time and those changes get distributed instantly to everyone using them. See the updated rules for the Beastmaster Ranger. If you’re on D&DB the next time you pull up your character, the change is there integrated with everything else.

I’ll admit I’m doing a bit of logical deduction for the *introduced* assessment. The popularity of D&DB and Crit Roll, combined with the fact that for the last year or so, every player I’ve introduced to the game has been through the platform via linking them to my DM account (I know, I know, anecdotal evidence). Some buy a physical PHB later, but most have opted for digital.
Add to that the trend towards digital in Home Entertainment and Comics (similar to 35mm film, books, music, magazines and newspapers 10-20 years ago) and I’m comfortable making the case that the trend should be seen in RPGs as well.
In each case, once the technology was strong enough to make it easier/better than the physical version, the transition happened rapidly.
D&DB is IMO the first digital product that truly makes the game easier to play as intended around the table and share with new players.
I’m with you, though, in that I’d love to see the hard numbers, but I’d be willing to bet a 6e Physical PHB that greater than 50% of new players in 2018 and 2019 were introduced via a digital tool.
Physical will be around for the hardcore enthusiast, but the emphasis for growth will be digital.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases