D&D 5E Clone spell vs Deck of Many Things

Matatabi

First Post
So we were at a magic shop in a casual campaign I'm part of and the shop had lots of uncommon items that could be useful for the party. We asked if the storekeep had anything "exotic" and flashed him some coin. He opens up a mini pocket dimention and pulls out a small box. Inside is a Deck of Many things. The rest of my party doesnt know what this thing is but they were intrigued. Partially because of the name, partially because of how many times I kept screaming "NO!" at the DM. We eventually decide to leave it alone but I got to thinking of ways to work around the deck of many things. The clone spell seems like the best choice but there was one card and the deck that was a little iffy on the wording. The one that captures your soul and sends it to some random place being guarded by powerful beings. It says that your body is incapacitated afterwords, but doesn't say that the body dies. If my soul happens to travel to some other place, can my teammates kill my body, essentially activating the requirements for the clone spell. Because the clone spell just says that my soul travels to my new body but doesn't say anything about whether the soul is trapped or not. This is all hypothetical by the way, I'm not nearly higher enough to use the clone spell but this is more of a thought experiment.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Depends on your DM. The question would be "Does the Clone spell trump the Deck of Many Things" when it comes to claiming your soul. I would say "No, the Deck of Many Things is a Legendary Item and is more powerful than most mortal spells. It's quest time buddy."

MarkB

Legend
The clone spell seems like the best choice but there was one card and the deck that was a little iffy on the wording. The one that captures your soul and sends it to some random place being guarded by powerful beings. It says that your body is incapacitated afterwords, but doesn't say that the body dies. If my soul happens to travel to some other place, can my teammates kill my body, essentially activating the requirements for the clone spell. Because the clone spell just says that my soul travels to my new body but doesn't say anything about whether the soul is trapped or not.

Yeah, it does. It says that your soul transfers to your new body, providing that it is free and willing to do so. In this scenario, your soul is not free, so the spell fails.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I agree with the supplied answers thus far, but just wanted to comment that I am glad to see this kind of "What if..." thinking being done by someone outside my own group. Don't see if often, but it's nice to get confirmation on not being the only people doing that sort of thing.

We have a love-hate relationship with the ol' deck-o'-stuff; We love to see it in campaigns, and we hate to not pull at least a couple cards, even though that can put a big twist into where the campaign is headed.

Skip the clone spell. Just pay some random street kids 5 gp apiece to draw cards in exchange for whatever magic items they get and half of the gold. (If they try to renege on the deal, you can "grudgingly" agree to pay a kid an extra 100 gp for the Longsword +2 he just drew.) Once one of them draws a Fate card, you can offer him 100 gp to use it on you if anything bad happens when you draw cards. Way better and safer than a Clone spell and a lot more available too. You can protect the kids from the Avatar of Death if they draw one.

After all, street kids don't care if they lose all their magical items or property, get permanent penalties to their saving throws, make a powerful political enemy, or lose their soul.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases