Star Wars: Republic and Empire (IC)

G

Guest 11456

Inside RNS Taelros, the chief engineer tried to concentrate on one thing at a time. It was difficult. She was responsible for keeping the ship running now that it had formally left the yards. There were still yard workers on board; they wanted to keep close tabs on the first few of the new Sacheen-B frigates. They weren't all that different than the originals, but ten years of combat experience and new developments had produced some incremental changes, and the first of the new frigates were going out to 3rd Fleet and 12th Fleet. And all those little changes had caused some problems. Problems Lt. (senior grade) Saricia Targon and her subordinates had to fix.

Going from a department head on a cruiser to chief engineer on a frigate should not have been as much more work -- and less interesting work, at that -- as it seemed to be so far. She was beginning to wonder if she could have left her tools back on the Chandrila; she was spending far more time filling out forms than doing anything she considered actual engineering.

Sarcia was pouring over the tech specs when one of her subordinates came up to her and saluted. "Lieutenant Targon! I need your assistance, please sir... er ma'am... er..." Sarcia sighed. This was the part of the military she disliked the most. All the saluting and fanfare. She knew she would have to address this and now seemed the best time.

She stepped out into the middle of things and cleared her throat. "Could I have everyone's attention for a moment? I realize we are all in the military here, but as long as it is just us down here please address me as Sarcia. I want everyone to treat each other as equals. We have a job to do and we don't need PROPER PROTOCOL getting in the way. Don't be worrying about saluting either. You have much more important things to be doing with your hands. However, if we get a visitor from the command staff down here, I expect you to show proper protocol to them. Now! Let's get this bucket o' bolts working in top condition. OK!" There was a resounding, "Yes, Lieutenant Targon!", at which she held up her hand. "What did you say?" Then there was a resounding, "Yes!", and then a stumbled through, "Sarcia!", with a few still saying "Lieutenant Targon!". "That is better. Now get back to work."

She turns to the one that had come to ask her help before. "Now! What did you need help with?" The wide-eyed young man nodded. "Yes ma'a... I mean Sarcia. I am having trouble getting a power coupling to lock down." Sarcia nods to the young man. "Then show me where it is and we'll have a look." As she followed him to the spot she simply smiled.

Shayuri

First Post
Zenith smiled at the lieutenant's words, even at the subtle condescension implicit in calling the fighter pilots 'kids.' Unlike a lot of other pilots she knew, she was fine with practice. Flying was flying, and a well-done practice was challenging and competitive enough to satisfy her. Zenith didn't shy from combat, but she didn't eagerly anticipate it either. One consequence of feeling the Force was knowing deep in her bones that there were people in those Imperial fighters, people who were by and large no worse than their foes.

She always felt a little sad, having to kill them. Oh, not TOO bad. The war had to be won, most definitely. The Empire's policies were far more destructive than the Republic's, and hurt many more people over time and space. And the Imperial pilots made the same choice the Republic ones did; that she herself did...to put their lives on the line for their side. They didn't have anything to complain about then, if that life was lost.

Nevertheless, it wasn't work she enjoyed. It was duty, taken seriously but not celebrated.

"Are we shipping out soon then, 'dad?'" Zenith inquired lightly. "The spaceways here are too crowded for us I think."

possum

First Post
Rosa takes a brief look at the dossier handed to her, intending to look over it more on the turbo and/or tram ride to her new designated station. The 187th... she thought, wondering why that named seemed somewhat familiar to her. Must have been a holobroadcast, she mentally added.

"I may not," she replies to the commander's words with a slight chuckle. "It's still much better than the alternative, sir. Is there anything else, sir?" she asks, and will leave when she's dismissed.

drothgery

First Post
All I'm saying is that we have these turbolasers onboard for a reason, and we shouldn't omit the drills with them just because we don't expect to need them as much as before. But if you feel the need to increase the missile drills, we do it your way. I was just giving you a suggestion. That's what subordinate officers are for ma'am.

[sblock=OOC]I gathered that as tactical officer she is outranking Storm in ship hierarchy, and at least she's senior grade whereas Storm is only jr.[/sblock]

"I think we'll do both. We've still got a few days left on station here before we ship out." She said.

She knew she came across as more than a little arrogant to her fellow officers. And that she had a case of hero worship for the Fleet Admiral that really wasn't healthy. But it was hard not to; she'd changed Anaxes so much just by being herself and in so showing Anaxses' daughters could command warships just as well as its sons -- and that Anaxsi could be more than just the sword arm of whoever ruled the galaxy. Ariel didn't think she was any kind of revolutionary, but she was glad for the revolutions that already happened -- that meant being on the bridge of ship of war made her a proper daughter of high society on Anaxes, not the black sheep of the family.

[sblock=ooc]
That's correct on ranks; chain of command is Commander Cyn, then Rosa. Ariel, Sarcia, and Lynial Gelian (the fighter squadron commander) have roughly equal rank (Lt. Gelian is actual the most senior of them), but Ariel's command track and the other two aren't.
[/sblock]

drothgery

First Post
"Are we shipping out soon then, 'dad?'" Zenith inquired lightly. "The spaceways here are too crowded for us I think."

"A few more days. Scuttlebut has it that the old man found us a replacement exec," Lt. Gelian said, "which would be the last of the senior officers to join our merry band. Giver her a few days to get to know the ship, and our lovely chief engineer a few more to make sure nothing's going to happen to the ship while it's still under warranty, and we'll be ready to go."

Shayuri

First Post
A few days. That gnawed a bit. She wasn't aching for conflict, but Zenith did get bored of sitting in one place for too long.

"Any idea where we'll be going?" the Jedi pilot asked hopefully.

drothgery

First Post
She turns to the one that had come to ask her help before. "Now! What did you need help with?" The wide-eyed young man nodded. "Yes ma'a... I mean Sarcia. I am having trouble getting a power coupling to lock down." Sarcia nods to the young man. "Then show me where it is and we'll have a look." As she followed him to the spot she simply smiled.

When Sarcia and the engineering rating she was working with were just about done solving his problems with a power coupling, she got yet another page. This one was from the captain, though. Commander Cyn wanted her to show the new exec around the ship, and give an overview of what it could do.

Rosa takes a brief look at the dossier handed to her, intending to look over it more on the turbo and/or tram ride to her new designated station. The 187th... she thought, wondering why that named seemed somewhat familiar to her. Must have been a holobroadcast, she mentally added.

"I may not," she replies to the commander's words with a slight chuckle. "It's still much better than the alternative, sir. Is there anything else, sir?" she asks, and will leave when she's dismissed.

"Not just yet. I'll see you and some of the other officers at dinner." He said, dismissing her.

She had just enough time to look up why the 187th was significant. Special operations command. Usually spread out across half the galaxy in single ships or pairs and only part of the main body of 3rd Fleet enough to provide a cover. And, as of six months ago, under the command of the recently re-activated Vice Admiral Han Solo. Rumor had it that he'd demanded a command from Admiral Serrano a few weeks after Leia died... and she'd sent him to the flag officer's course to prove he was up to it.

And at that point, her cabin door chimed.

drothgery

First Post
A few days. That gnawed a bit. She wasn't aching for conflict, but Zenith did get bored of sitting in one place for too long.

"Any idea where we'll be going?" the Jedi pilot asked hopefully.

"Not just yet. We're the 187th; the captain might tell us where we're going once we're in hyperspace." He said. "Though we might be sticking with the main body of the Fleet for once; the Admiral can't be concentrating this much force here unless she's planning something big. Unless she thinks the Imperials are going to attack Anaxes... but I think that's up there with attacking Coruscant as the dumbest thing that keeps being tried in this war."

drothgery

First Post
The captain was waiting for the fighter squadron when they finished their manuevers, along with a young woman none of them recognized -- or rather, Zenith did, the Jedi Academy being rather too small to not know someone roughly the same age, but none of the others recognized her. "I'm sorry to do this to you," He told Lt. Gelian, "Especially before we even leave home port, but I'm afraid high command's decided to steal your second. The officer slated to command Narren's starfighter wing was lost in action yesterday, so they've elected to promote Lt. Naadar to fill the slot. Congratulations, and good luck.

"That does leave us down a fighter pilot. However, our friends in the Corellian Expeditionary Force have loaned us a replacement. Lt. Starglow? Welcome aboard."

Shalimar

First Post
"Thank you sir. I'll try not to be too Corellian for you to handle." the young woman replied the ghost of a smirk on her lips. She was wearing a flightsuit in the colors of the Corellian Expeditionary Force attached to the 3rd Fleet, and had a helmet tucked under her left arm.

Turning to face Lt. Gelian and her new squadron mates the young woman sketched a salute in the looser manner of the Corellian Armed Forces as opposed to the more professional Republic style. "Lt. Istara Starglow, nice to meet you." she says simply, her name conjuring up images of two seperate admirals serving with the third fleet.

Tapping her helmet to emphasize an image painted on it, that of a trio of Sabbaac cards making up the idiot's array, Istara added for the benifit of everyone but Zenith "Feel free to call me Wildcard, Zenith knows the story behind it. I graduated from the Jedi Academy, joined the Corellian Navy, and then was immediately trasnferred here as my first assignment." the brown haired pilot explains, giving a brief thumbnail of her history to those she would be working with. Her lightsaber jangles on her thigh for those who look to see it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases