If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

5ekyu

Hero
I think there's an allusion or a mechanic here that I'm not getting . . .
Hah... one thing I use in my gsmes is an improv variant that pays of great.

Start of each session each playercdesls me a card from std ddck face down that I alone see. Of course, I pick them up and stare st thrm multiple times during session.

Hearts means give aid or receive it.
Diamond means loot or greed
Spades means passive or environmental threat or hazard (weather, terrain, bridge compromises etc)
Clubs means active threat or hazard (fights)

Value gives severity.

I then use those cards thru the session for the flavors of "what happens" , general outlooks, etc.

When the druid just got his Pass without Trace and they used it to ascend a peak to get st a necromancer unnoticed, I described two different times a group of menacing undead came close and passed them by, each time showing them a clubs card that I was discarding - one was a fade card. Added a bit of umphhh to those "hey, it worked".

One time the hit a raging semi-flooded river on their trek... medium spades. They chose to wait it out. They say loot flowing down river - started trying to get to it - diamonds. Then heard cries from up-river and headed there to find other travellers in dire straights hsvingvtriedvto cross snd got swamped- hearts.

Showed them each card in turn after the fsct.

There are still big plots and stories and of course I work to make these more than "just cards stuff" - often these are cases where it pays off more later or gets call backs.

But, so, for last night, when they met the plague menace snd decided to zig instead of zag, they found their "send word to everyone looking for help" queen of friggin' hearts paid off bigly... and a lot of their prior contacts etc paid off and helped...

And they are gonna keep hearing about it as the help keeps coming, spawning new fertile ground events for the future.

Or put in Star Trek terms - "You mean, for once, we aren't the only starship in the sector?"

Queen of friggin' hearts man!

pemerton

Legend
This suddenly has me jonesing to play Traveller again, after 30+ years. Wish I had my original books.
You can get the revised edition (1980?) on DriveThru pretty cheaply - my physical copies are a 1978 printing of the 1977 edition but I bought the revised PDFs so I would have portable copies.

I've really been enjoying it, and would strongly recommend that anyone thinking about it take the plunge!

Chaosmancer

Legend
That was a really long post, but I'm only going to address the above.

When some of us talk about consequences we mean, pretty much by definition "consequences worse than having done nothing at all." In other words: risk.

The consequences you are talking about (not knowing the information) are the same whether you fail or don't try, so that's not really a consequence.

And the reason (or one of the reasons) consequences are important is because you...or we, anyway...want rolling dice to be a last resort. When you can't solve the problem, you put yourself in the hands of fate.

Example consequences:
- If you fail at finding a trap, it goes off (or perhaps you end up holding the trigger down and are stuck; something of that nature)
- If you fail at disarming a trap, it goes off and you have disadvantage on the saving throw
- If you fail at "lie detection" (whoo boy) the subject knows you don't believe them. Or maybe you get information that's 100% opposite of the truth.
- If you fail at jumping the chasm...well, that one is self explanatory
- If you fail at picking pockets, the subject catches you
- If you fail at tracking quarry, you end up following the wrong spoor and wasting time. Or worse.

Actually, let me expand on that last one. This isn't, "We will try to track the orcs." "Okay roll." It's more like: "We will try to track the orcs." "Ok, you follow them for about an hour, until you get to a place that the tracks are muddled, and some go west toward a hill and some go north toward the river valley. What do you do?" "Ummm...jeez I guess I'l just try to figure out which set of tracks looks like it might have a female human among them. I'm proficient in Survival..." "Ok, I'm going to need a Survival roll, then."

In all of those cases the consequence of failure leaves you in a worse state than before the roll. Which, besides encouraging solutions that don't require rolls, also limits "can I roll too?" syndrome.

Standard Disclaimer
I'm not saying you have to play this way, or that if you don't you are having badwrongfun. Just trying to explain what some of us mean when we talk about meaningful consequences for failure, and the game state changing after a roll.

To add to what [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] already said: the consequences for failing a knowledge/lore roll can be the same sort of thing as failing a search roll, namely, the character confirms the truth of something that s/he'd rather be false. (See eg my post not far upthread where I talk about the PC learning that his brother was evil before being possessed by a balrog.)

I definetly don't see this as calling anything badwrongfun, but I do want to seek to understand here. Because, what you are saying, kills a lot of skill usage.

Quick and dirty one: Perception.

The team is walking through a dungeon, and they come to a doorway. They want to roll perception to see if there is an ambush waiting for them on the other side, because they've been ambushed a few times in this particular dungeon.

Now, what happens if they do not roll perception?

They get ambushed.

So... what happens if they do roll perception?

They get ambushed.

And, to my mind, there is clearly uncertain circumstance if they press their ears to the door to see if they can hear enemies waiting on the other side. This clearly needs a roll.

But the way you are describing this to me, in trying to be cautious and come up with a plan, they are inviting the possibility of worse things happening than just getting ambushed. Failing has to be worse than not trying.

And knowledge skills... yeah, I've heard of the idea of telling the players lies when they roll low. The problem? I let my players roll their own dice. So, they know they rolled low, and they know it is likely what they have learned is a lie. Some players will run with it, but others are going to start trying to figure out how their character can learn what they know is a lie, because it is hard for them to act in a way they know is wrong. Plus, it adds a burden on me to come up with a lie for every failed knowledge roll. Then, I also need to keep those false facts straight.

And, all to make failing worse than it already was?

No. It is not a direct consequence of failing.

Yes. Provided the player has a reasonable approach to the goal of obtaining the information in question, then they gain it.

So, you as well fall into this "Things must become worse because you tried" camp?

And, heck, reasonable approaches abound. "I'm a cleric of the Raven Queen, who is an enemy of Orcus. This ritual is being used by a cult of Orcus, have I ever run across mention of this ritual in old texts about conflicts between my church and Orcus cultists?"

Reasonable, perfectly possible, but knowledge about this ritual might be a key to the mystery that you don't want to just hand away. However, not knowing about the ritual is the only failure of the roll, so you must give away the information by the standards you are setting down.

If how long it took them to get through the door matters, then the time it takes is the consequence of failure. If it doesn’t matter, why bother rolling the die to find out how long it took?

Because it mattered to the players, even if it didn't matter to the plot.

Why am I bothering to lock a door if when the players tell me how they get through it I just say "Okay, you did it"? And sometimes, it makes sense that doors are locked. When you want to get into the Archdukes estate, after killing him, to see if you can find clues to his betrayal... the door isn't going to be unlocked. Why would it? He locks his house when he leaves like a normal person.

But, just getting a "yes, you succeed" isn't always satisfying as a player. Sometimes you want to roll dice, because it's been all politics and cloaks and daggers and you haven't gotten to kick down a door in five sessions.

No. The flaw in your approach is in deciding that your obstacle must be resolved by way of a check, and closed yourself off to other possibilities. You’re treating checks as things that exist in their own right, instead of as the means by which you determine the success or failure of actions with uncertain outcomes.

What other possibilities?

A check is meant to resolve an action, if the actions success in uncertain. If I put a locked door in front of my party, and the barbarian wants to kick it down. That is a check. Rogue wants to pick the lock? Check. Bard wants to canvass the neighborhood for a locksmith to unlock the door? Check. Wizard wants to investigate the grounds for a hidden key? Check.

If they want to attempt these actions, the outcome is uncertain, so there is a check.

They have a pet giant who they have punch the door down? No check. It's a giant.

But just because that possibility exists doesn't mean the other possbilities don't exist. And this discussion is about using checks, so... we are discussing using checks

Chaosmancer

Legend
I hope people don't mind the double post, but [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] is right that responding to everything is starting to get too long for people to go through

Detail is a red herring, here. It's the approach that matters, not the details of the approach. How much detail you add to carefully licking the doorknob clean won't result in an autosuccess, ever (unless, maybe, you're immune to poison?). On the other hand, being skilled at poisoner's tools and wiping off the contact poison may very well result in autosuccess. Don't make the mistake that we're looking for a long, detailed explanation for anything done -- that sounds horribly boring.

Yes, you are, and no, it's not. The game revolves around actions, not skill checks. Skill checks are used when an action is uncertain and there's a cost of failure. You don't call for a skill check when a player declares their character walks across a room, do you? Is this a case where hairs have been split because there should be a roll?

In other words, I say that a discussion about how to handle skills has placed the cart before the horse because we do not yet know how we handle actions. Skills come after we get a handle on actions.

Okay, but let me call back to the original quote by [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION]

"This is why vague statements like, “I check for traps” are a poor strategy. Yes, if I just said I check for traps without saying what I’m doing to check for them, we have little choice but to determine what my character was doing that resulted in that failure retroactively. The dice are generating the story - we didn’t really know what my character was doing until we found out whether it worked or not, and then we came up with a narrative explanation for the result. And if you like to play that way, more power to you! I do not like to play that way, because it puts my successes and failures in the hands of chance. I want my successes and failures to be in my hands. I enjoy the game more when I succeed because I thought of a clever plan or fail because I took a calculated risk and it didn’t pay off."

According to this, the player declared an action "check for traps" but that was not specific enough, so when the roll happened we had to fill in story of why the result happened.

The approach and action of "check for traps" is not enough. By accepting that it is enough for a roll to be called for, I am being told I am putting the cart before the horse... because the player needs to declare an action first? An action that has consequences? Like checking for traps?

How much more is needed? How specific an action must the player take? Where am I justified in calling for a check without somehow doing something seen as wrong by some of the posters here?

You are saying that I am calling for checks instead of actions, but a series of actions were called by the player. Why is that not good enough to call for a check in response?

This is where I'll harp on my hobby horse of not hiding the game. There's always going to be information disparity between the GM and the players in any game where the GM has secret stuff the players are trying to learn (what's in the next room, what the Duke is up to, did this shopkeep steal his own jewels, etc.). This is because the GM already knows the secret and is trying to get the players to learn it in a fun way. Because of this, GMs tend to create mysteries that depend on the players not knowing stuff, and then err on the side of hiding too much information. This is what leads to players spamming knowledge skills or investigation and perception checks to try to convince the GM to give up this hidden information via a high roll. In reality, these checks aren't doing anything in the fiction except convincing the GM to drop the next bit of hidden information. I say, don't do this as a GM. Make your mysteries based not on hiding information from the players, but instead on what will the players do once they learn the information. Then the GM's motivation isn't to hide information because getting it gives away the game, so to speak, but instead get the information to the players clearly so that the game of what they do with it can be played.

If my players are asking for these things (or fishing for them with action declarations), then I take that as me not doing a good job presenting the world to the players. This doesn't mean I don't expect my players to have to do things to learn things, just that such events are clear that they need to do something and with enough detail they can readily form an approach to how they want to do it.

I'm not sure I entirely follow all of this.

Information still needs to be hidden, otherwise the players wouldn't need to form an approach in the first place.

Information can be gained by rolling a knowledge check, otherwise what are knowledge checks used for?

Yeah, don't make plot relevant stuff revolve around a single die roll, but that doesn't mean plot relevant stuff can't be found with a die roll

Well, that seems to benefit you.

Yes, which is why I try and limit myself so that I am not using too much meta knowledge.

That's why I ask to roll instead of just assuming my character knows.

This still leaves the knowledge skills in a weird place. So, I use them in the exploration pillar. You have religion? That's awesome for figuring out a ritual or ceremony detail that can help you do something. A recent example was a sarcophagus with a detailed carving around it in a a language none of the players could read. The Wizard reached for his Comprehend Languages ritual, but the Grave cleric tried to decipher what the carvings might mean based on her experience as a Grave cleric. She rolled poorly on her religion check, and so accidentally triggered a curse that resulted in the occupants of the sarcophagus animating as mummies. On a success, she would have discovered that those in the sarcophagus were sealed in to protect against a cursed axe found in the sacrophagus (a beserker axe). As it was, the party didn't get this information and the dwarven barbarian attuned to it. Later fun was had!

So, you don't roll knowledge checks except when you do?

Edit: May be a bit snarkier than I intended, but seeing if they can piece together those carvings is a perfect knowledge check. However, in my understanding of your conclusion, the check failed so they got wrong information which led to them triggering the curse. Perhaps I’m wrong and the curse was triggered by them touching it in an attempt to decipher… but then success or failure of the roll would have led to the mummies, because touching it activated the curse.

So, either I’m misunderstanding your conclusion, or your knowledge check led to the player learning the wrong information on a failed roll. Which is exactly what you said you didn’t like.

To me it's kind of like playing Monopoly and a player in that game refusing to roll the dice or pay rent when they land on the property belonging to another player. I'm sorry, but you have to roll the dice and pay rent when the rules say you have to do that. Otherwise, you're effectively refusing to play the game. Sure, I can reach over and roll the dice for you and move your token around the board and sort through your cash and pay rent when you need to. But why are you even here?

Same for describing what you want to do as a player in D&D 5e. If you can't even do that, why are you here?

Because they enjoy building a story together?

Just because they can't describe how a lightning bolt killed the lich king in the final climatic moments of the campaign or how Jimmy failed to disarm a trap doesn't mean they can't play the game.

Remember, this line of conversation started because you (and many others) took offense to how I would have narrated a failure of the dice in an extremely sarcastic example. How could a poisoner miss poison on a door handle if they spent five minutes looking at it from every angle?

Well, the only way I can imagine a professional missing that kind of detail is because they weren't paying as close attention as they thought.

And, it isn't a situation I normally handle, because normally, I don't have players call out looking at the door handle. I also rarely have traps on door handles.

That's the DM's problem in my view and why "metagaming" is the DM's fault almost all of the time. If they want not knowing something to be part of the difficulty of the challenge, he or she needs to do that without demanding the player act as if they don't know something they do know.

Since this applies directly to myself and my knowledge, as that was the nature of my answer, then I will respond in the specific instead of the general.

I know a lot, A LOT, more about this game than most of my DMs.

Maybe not knowing something was the challenge, maybe they just didn't think anyone would know and it would be a cool reveal. Maybe they don't even know. Sometimes my asking to roll for a knowledge check about something I know has revealed that I knew a detail about that lore that the DM had no clue about.

This is why I ask to roll, instead of just assuming that my character knows everything that I know. Because I know far more than most characters should know at low levels.

An ability check is not a task. It's a mechanic used to resolve the outcome of a task, when the outcome is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence of failure. "Does my character know what a Black Pudding is?" is not a task either, and likely to get an answer like "I don't know, does he/she?" in my game. Contrast with "I draw upon my experience as a sage to recall what I may know about black puddings, having read about such things in the world's greatest libraries." Now we're getting somewhere. The DM can decide, based on that description, whether the character succeeds automatically, fails automatically, or whether an ability check is called for. An added benefit is that in some cases we learn something interesting about the character's background.

Okay, so square this circle for me.

I should not ask to roll for what my character knows, I should just have them know what I know.

Except that can be dangerous because the world might not be the same as what I know, because the DM changed it.

So I should come up with a backstory reason why I should know.

But how do we know if I actually know, for example, how do we know that this Sage actually read anything about Black Puddings?

To me, there is uncertainty. When there is uncertainty, you roll the dice. But I should not roll the dice unless things can become worse by failing. And failing to know something is not a consequence worth rolling dice about. Also, I should never ask for a check, I should just declare I know.

After all, if I declare my character is a monster expert, then I do not need to ask the DM if I know anything about these monsters. I tell the DM I know, because I am a monster expert, and they cannot tell me I do not know.

This is the morass I am finding myself in, with this thread.

I so very much agree with this. It's the player's job to say what their PC is doing, at least in general terms - and different levels of abstraction are appropriate to different parts of play. Occasionally a player seems to treat it like a video game with the GM as their flesh-server. Not good.

I agree, but as this discussion has progressed we have this,

"I check the door for traps"

failed roll

"Okay, what happens"

"I don't know"

Player is at fault?

So, I should ask the player to be more specific with their action.

"I look over the entire door, taking a magnifying glass to sections that seem likely to hide traps"

Roll? Outcome is still uncertain, they could miss something

But, can't just have them not find anything, that isn't enough of a consequence to their roll. So...

"As you peer through the magnifying glass, you forget to stand far enough back accidentally press against the door and trigger the blade trap"

Also wrong because now I've told the player what they were doing. Also, the player should have told me how they failed?

Taken as a whole, this conversation has grown very confusing to follow what advice people actually are trying to give.

pemerton

Legend
I definetly don't see this as calling anything badwrongfun, but I do want to seek to understand here. Because, what you are saying, kills a lot of skill usage.

The team is walking through a dungeon, and they come to a doorway. They want to roll perception to see if there is an ambush waiting for them on the other side, because they've been ambushed a few times in this particular dungeon.

They get ambushed.

They get ambushed.

And, to my mind, there is clearly uncertain circumstance if they press their ears to the door to see if they can hear enemies waiting on the other side. This clearly needs a roll.

But the way you are describing this to me, in trying to be cautious and come up with a plan, they are inviting the possibility of worse things happening than just getting ambushed. Failing has to be worse than not trying.

And knowledge skills... yeah, I've heard of the idea of telling the players lies when they roll low. The problem? I let my players roll their own dice. So, they know they rolled low, and they know it is likely what they have learned is a lie.
I can only speak for my own approach - and to reiterate my earlier disclosure, I'm not playing 5e (although some people in this thread - especially [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION], if I've understood properly - use a similar approach in 5e). I use a broadly similar approach in 4e, Cortex+ Heroic, and Burning Wheel. (Prince Valiant doesn't really involve knowledge/perception checks, so this issue hasn't come up; and Classic Traveller is a bit different too as I posted not far upthread.)

Your examples seem to take it as a given that the fiction already contains an answer - that there is an ambush, or that the truth of the situation is such-and-such.

But I'm using these checks to establish the fiction. An example, not too far upthread, is of the search for the mace. The check fails, and so the PCs discover something they didn't want to be true (namely, that the brother was an evil manufacturer of cursed black arrows).

If the players declare that they are trying to ascertain whether or not an ambush is behind a door, then there will already be some context in play that makes ambushes a salient stake. A successful check might mean the PCs learn there is no one behind the door; or perhaps - depending on context - allow them to get the drop rather than be ambushed. A failed check would have the opposite sort of outcome.

There's no lying involved, because what's being established is the fiction itself, not simply PC beliefs about the situation.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Because they enjoy building a story together?

If the players are not performing their role of describing what they want to do, then it's really just the DM building the story. The players are just in the room.

Just because they can't describe how a lightning bolt killed the lich king in the final climatic moments of the campaign or how Jimmy failed to disarm a trap doesn't mean they can't play the game.

I think there is some confusion here. The players don't describe how he lich king is killed or what happens when the character fails to disarm the trap - the DM does that. The player describes the goal (kill the lich king, disarm the trap) and the approach (cast lightning bolt and target it here, use thieves' tools to disable the pressure plate). The player does NOT ask to make an ability check. An ability check is not a task and asking to roll a d20 is not good strategy.

Remember, this line of conversation started because you (and many others) took offense to how I would have narrated a failure of the dice in an extremely sarcastic example. How could a poisoner miss poison on a door handle if they spent five minutes looking at it from every angle?

I don't recall the specifics of the example and I don't remember really engaging in the poisoned doorknob example. I do know, however, I've taken no offense.

Since this applies directly to myself and my knowledge, as that was the nature of my answer, then I will respond in the specific instead of the general.

I know a lot, A LOT, more about this game than most of my DMs.

Maybe not knowing something was the challenge, maybe they just didn't think anyone would know and it would be a cool reveal. Maybe they don't even know. Sometimes my asking to roll for a knowledge check about something I know has revealed that I knew a detail about that lore that the DM had no clue about.

This is why I ask to roll, instead of just assuming that my character knows everything that I know. Because I know far more than most characters should know at low levels.

There is no "should." Only "could" or "might." You can choose to play dumb, of course, but I don't think that's a good expectation for a DM to have of the players. Nor do I think it's good challenge design to have the difficulty completely hinge on ignorance.

Okay, so square this circle for me.

I should not ask to roll for what my character knows, I should just have them know what I know.

Except that can be dangerous because the world might not be the same as what I know, because the DM changed it.

So I should come up with a backstory reason why I should know.

But how do we know if I actually know, for example, how do we know that this Sage actually read anything about Black Puddings?

Asking to roll is dangerous, generally speaking, because the d20 is swingy and unreliable. If there are consequences of failure (which is a requirement for there to be a roll in the first place), why are you inviting a d20 to potentially kill you? Now, obviously that outcome is probably unlikely with most rolls to recall lore or make deductions based on available clues. I'm just stating a general principle.

And again, there is no "should," only "could" or "might." So you could describe a task to recall lore or make deductions, if you want, and that's going to generally be a way to mitigate the danger of bad assumptions. As for how you know the sage read anything about black puddings, that's for the player to decide - this is the player bringing backstory to the foreground and fleshing out the character. The ability check is testing recall or deductive reasoning, not whether your character has been exposed to the knowledge before.

To me, there is uncertainty. When there is uncertainty, you roll the dice. But I should not roll the dice unless things can become worse by failing. And failing to know something is not a consequence worth rolling dice about. Also, I should never ask for a check, I should just declare I know.

There are two criteria for the DM calling for an ability check: The task must have an uncertain outcome (not an outright success or failure) and must have a meaningful consequence for failure. The player cannot ask to roll a check and arguably should not want to roll (since automatic success is better than risk). There is no support for players asking to roll in the rules for D&D 5e. That is D&D 3e or 4e legacy thinking.

After all, if I declare my character is a monster expert, then I do not need to ask the DM if I know anything about these monsters. I tell the DM I know, because I am a monster expert, and they cannot tell me I do not know.

This is the morass I am finding myself in, with this thread.

Think about it this way: If you decide that your character doesn't know anything about trolls OR you decide your character does know stuff about trolls, but you fail your attempt to recall lore, are you still prevented from hitting it with a fire bolt spell? No, you are not. Thus, you don't even have to declare that your character is a monster expert. You can just act. But if you want to make sure that the troll you're attacking isn't one that will explode into a fireball when you hit it with a fire bolt (perhaps because the DM telegraphed that something was off about *this* troll), now you might want to be cautious and try to recall lore about *this* troll or deduce how it's different from available clues.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I can only speak for my own approach - and to reiterate my earlier disclosure, I'm not playing 5e (although some people in this thread - especially [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION], if I've understood properly - use a similar approach in 5e). I use a broadly similar approach in 4e, Cortex+ Heroic, and Burning Wheel. (Prince Valiant doesn't really involve knowledge/perception checks, so this issue hasn't come up; and Classic Traveller is a bit different too as I posted not far upthread.)

Your examples seem to take it as a given that the fiction already contains an answer - that there is an ambush, or that the truth of the situation is such-and-such.

But I'm using these checks to establish the fiction. An example, not too far upthread, is of the search for the mace. The check fails, and so the PCs discover something they didn't want to be true (namely, that the brother was an evil manufacturer of cursed black arrows).

If the players declare that they are trying to ascertain whether or not an ambush is behind a door, then there will already be some context in play that makes ambushes a salient stake. A successful check might mean the PCs learn there is no one behind the door; or perhaps - depending on context - allow them to get the drop rather than be ambushed. A failed check would have the opposite sort of outcome.

There's no lying involved, because what's being established is the fiction itself, not simply PC beliefs about the situation.

And this can work, but sometimes there is an answer in the fiction, because I have put it there.

I have definitely allowed checks to create new fiction, especially when players ask me about things I had not considered before that moment (is there any treasure worth finding here? is a common one)

But other times there is a truth, and I need to know that truth before even calling for a check, and a success or failure does not change that truth, only how things react and occur.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

They get ambushed.

They get ambushed.

Players don't declare they are "rolling Perception." They describe a goal and approach. What they hope to achieve and how they set about achieving it. Only then can the DM determine if the outcome is an automatic success or failure, or whether some kind of roll is appropriate. If the PCs are trying to avoid being surprised, that's handled under the rules for determining surprise. PCs that are staying alert to danger while traveling the dungeon (as opposed to engaging in some other task that distracts from that effort) have a chance to avoid surprise. The DM applies their passive Perception.

But honestly, there isn't enough detail in this example to determine what's going on exactly and how to adjudicate. It hasn't been established that there actually are ambushers on the other side of the door, for example.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I can only speak for my own approach - and to reiterate my earlier disclosure, I'm not playing 5e (although some people in this thread - especially [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION], if I've understood properly - use a similar approach in 5e).

I'm sure you're trying to help, but bringing up approaches that are appropriate to other games and might not be a good fit for the one under discussion is in my view needlessly confusing. It's why I'm not responding to any of your posts where I've been summoned with [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]. Stories about Traveller, D&D 4e, Burning Wheel, Cortex+ and other games are of little value in understanding the finer points of D&D 5e and to my mind really muddy waters that are already pretty opaque given the length of these exchanges.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think there is some confusion here. The players don't describe how he lich king is killed or what happens when the character fails to disarm the trap - the DM does that. The player describes the goal (kill the lich king, disarm the trap) and the approach (cast lightning bolt and target it here, use thieves' tools to disable the pressure plate).

Then you are the one confused, because that is what you are telling me my players should be doing.

I said originally that the reason I added the extra flair to my description all those pages ago, was because my players aren't always willing or good at describing what happens. So, I take over that responsibility, and build the narrative.

And my players aren't playing the game because I do that. Despite the fact that I never once said my players do not tell me what they do and I must tell them what their character's are doing in any given moment.

The player does NOT ask to make an ability check. An ability check is not a task and asking to roll a d20 is not good strategy.

My players do, and asking to roll perception to see an ambush is a task. They are looking for an ambush, perception is the skill for looking and listening for hidden things. Asking to roll investigation for hidden doors is a task. They are searching an area, investigation is the skill for searching. Asking to roll deception to convince the king they don't have the McGuffin is a task. They are lying about something in their possession, and the skill for lying is deception.

You can repeat "Asking for a random result instead of seeing if the DM will just give you what you want is a horrible strategy" for another few hundred pages. That doesn't mean my players are not allowed to do so.

There is no "should." Only "could" or "might." You can choose to play dumb, of course, but I don't think that's a good expectation for a DM to have of the players. Nor do I think it's good challenge design to have the difficulty completely hinge on ignorance.

Who says it "completely hinges on ignorance"?

I know the only way to truly kill a Flame skull is to sprinkle the remains with holy water. No matter what character I make, this is a thing I know.

Maybe they wanted this to be a cool moment for the cleric, to have them act as the holy person of the group. But my Barbarian from the Gladiator pits knew the answer before any even thought to ask the question.

I will also guarantee that across about 20 different players I am aware of, I can only think of two besides myself who might know that. And that is because both of them have also been DMs for years.

I have enough advantages as a player, why shouldn't I try and limit myself in terms of knowledge, by asking the DM if they are okay with me knowing certain facts? Why does this seem to flabbergast people so much?

There are two criteria for the DM calling for an ability check: The task must have an uncertain outcome (not an outright success or failure) and must have a meaningful consequence for failure. The player cannot ask to roll a check and arguably should not want to roll (since automatic success is better than risk). There is no support for players asking to roll in the rules for D&D 5e. That is D&D 3e or 4e legacy thinking.

And round and round the circle we go.

"Meaningful consequence" meaning that the failure must make the situation worse. If my understanding of this conversation has gotten me anywhere. It cannot mean that failure results in no change. Even if no change is the logical conclusion of failure. If no change would be the consequence of failure, the character either fails or succeeds with no roll.

Players post a guard for night watch in the inn. I will not call a perception check to see if they hear their neighbor being murdered. If they succeed, they will find the dead body. If they fail, the body is discovered in the morning. There is no meaningful consequence for failure, so I decide what I want to happen.

Also, about legacy thinking. No. It isn't.

Read 3.X, never played it. Only ever played one game of 4e.

I ask for a check, my players ask for checks. People at conventions who have never played DnD before ask for checks. We are not wrong. The game doesn't care if people say "Can I roll perception?"

You care, you'll quote the rulebook at me to try and convince me the game cares, but it doesn't. Gameplay works just fine either way. Nothing breaks.

Think about it this way: If you decide that your character doesn't know anything about trolls OR you decide your character does know stuff about trolls, but you fail your attempt to recall lore, are you still prevented from hitting it with a fire bolt spell? No, you are not. Thus, you don't even have to declare that your character is a monster expert. You can just act. But if you want to make sure that the troll you're attacking isn't one that will explode into a fireball when you hit it with a fire bolt (perhaps because the DM telegraphed that something was off about *this* troll), now you might want to be cautious and try to recall lore about *this* troll or deduce how it's different from available clues.

See, trolls are too easy.

I know Bargheists get dragged to Hell if they get too near a big enough fire.

I know Minotaurs, per RAW, are formed via cannabalism.

I know hags, per RAW, give birth via eating babies.

I know Wood Woads, per RAW, are created by a guardian of the forest having their heart ripped out in a ritual.

Not all of these are direct ties into combat actions. Heck, if I'm allowed to know how Hags give birth then a Hag introducing the party to her Daughter could very well lead to horror. But if the DM doesn't know that then my reaction makes no sense, because that isn't the case here. Or maybe that is the reaction they want, but only so they can reverse it on us. IT depends on if they read that specific section of the lore, agreed with it, and remembered it.

This isn't about "do I counter Troll regeneration with fire or pretend I don't know DnD 101" this can be highly specific lore that changes how we approach entire sections of the campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases