X & O For More Fun

The main purpose of RPGs is to have fun but ensuring that everyone enjoys themselves is tricky. First you have to agree on a game, then a play style. A dozen or more things after that can make or ruin a game. John Stavropoulos created an elegant solution to a common fun killer by creating the X-Card.

The main purpose of RPGs is to have fun but ensuring that everyone enjoys themselves is tricky. First you have to agree on a game, then a play style. A dozen or more things after that can make or ruin a game. John Stavropoulos created an elegant solution to a common fun killer by creating the X-Card.

Whether a GM is running a store-bought adventure or their own campaign, no GM is a mind reader. It's also impossible for other players to guess what will turn an exciting time into a major turn-off for their group. Instead of forcing a GM (or the other players) to guess what may or may not work as fun, a simple card with a big X on it is placed in the center of the game table. If something goes too far for someone's comfort threshold, they simply tap the card and the game moves on from that thing. If you're not clear what caused the X-Card to be tapped, a short break is called while the GM confers with the player. Because the player doesn't have to defend or justify the card being invoked, it avoids hurt feelings and increases fun and safety.

While people assume using the X-Card stifles creativity, the opposite is true. A GM running a Delta Green or World of Darkness adventure is liberated to plan whatever scenario or evocative description they like, knowing that their players easily maintain their enjoyment. No mind reading is needed.

While the X-Card is often associated with story games or indie RPGs, I've had them invoked the most in D&D games. While running Tales of the Yawning Portal last year a player of mine tapped the X-Card when the players hit a bug-infested area. Later he explained that while fixing some wiring earlier that day (he's an electrician) he had to go into a crawlspace that was infested with bugs, and it had skeeved him out. This was a guy I've GM'd for years. He had never indicated an issue with bugs before so I couldn't have guessed that on that particular day he'd be bothered. A month later, it wasn't an issue.

The X-Card also makes convention games better. It's impossible for a GM or players to guess what strangers will like.

During a game a few years ago, two players were arguing in character. One guy said, “That plan is suicide. You might want to die, but I don't.” Sounds like a typical argument, right? What none of us knew was that the other guy had had a family member commit suicide recently. By tapping the card and saying “no suicide comments” (so we'd understand the issue) the game and in-character argument continued with a pause of only a few seconds. He didn't have to feel embarrassed or awkward or explain more, though after the game I overheard him mentioning it to a casual friend in the same game.

On the flip side, Kira Scott created its counterpart, the O-Card. It works the same way as the X-Card except it signals “more of this, please.”

As a GM, have you ever wondered if players were enjoying a specific sequence or aspect of a game? By using the O-Card, you don't have to guess. If it's invoked, you know the banquet scene that is all role-playing doesn't have to be rushed or next time, add more word puzzles for the players to solve.

Safety tools provide an easy way to ensure everyone enjoys the game, and the GM doesn't to guess about what is and isn't working.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Eirikrautha

First Post
Sadly, this is an unsurprising idea to see in a modern role playing game. There is a modern cultural movement where some adults seem to believe that they are not responsible for their own lives. These cards (especially the X) are the embodiment of the flight from responsibility and the assertion that others must conform to whatever is best for you. The reality is that, as a symptom of the larger disease, this cultural drift will actually lead to the death of role playing games. You cannot have a shared experience with people who are unwilling to share.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I can see why this would be an attractive option for some DM, especially at conventions and organized play sessions. It is a good-hearted attempt to support people you may have issues with certain content and given them a way to register this without having to go into detail what their personal issue is. I would guess that it would not get much if any use if I were to use it.

But when I try to think through it in practice, I can see it making things worse. The person with the issue still has to publicly indicate discomfort with a topic, which many people with phobias and traumatic experience are not going to want to do, even if they don't have to talk about it. And I can see many instances where, without more context, I may misunderstand what is making them uncomfortable or what their level of discomfort is. For example, the party come across a dissimortuum who is dismembering a corpse and adding the pieces to a large bag of purtrifying body parts.

Player taps X.

I tone down my description. Thinking the level of gore is making the player uncomfortable. I continue with the encounter using less descriptive, more mechanic-focused terms. Some players may be disppointed that the encounter and combat are not colorfully narrated, but most adults are willing to make accomodations. But then the player gets up and leaves. I later find out that the player had recently been present at a suicide at a metro and a part of the person's body flew out and hit them. They still suffer PTSD.

Note - this exact scenario never happened to me, but due to my work in a prior job, I've met many people with stories like this.

I want to be understanding, but an "X" card really didn't help.

I'm planning to run some games at a convention for the first time. Measures that I will take to help ensure that nobody is caught off guard with scenes that they are uncomfortable with are:

1. The con has a pretty clear rating system. I'll make sure I conservatively apply it (i.e., if in doubt rate it more mature)

2. My description will clearly describe the adventure subject and setting and warn of any subject matter that is commonly an issues.

3. Before the session starts -- I will explain that I want everyone to enjoy the session and will go over the rating and description and again point out things that a more likely to be problematic. I don't want to give spoilers, so they will likely be general: "This is a 17+ D&D adventure. It will involve violence and descriptions of injury and gore. It may involve fiends, giant insects, aberrations and other horrors to be found in the various published monster manuals. Romance is unlikely but if it comes up, it will be played 'fade to black.' Same with torture."

I'm not saying I will use that, but I do want to come of with a very quick sentence or two to remind people of the type of game they signed up for.

4. I'll handout initiative tents where I ask them to write their AC, passive perception, character name, etc. and, on the DM side, give space for them to write any topics that they have issues with. That way the need not bring it up in front of others, even touching an X. I will, however, say that while I will do my best to accommodate requests to avoid certain topics, I can't rewrite the adventure on the spot.

If I do the above, I'm not sure what an "X" card adds to it.

As for the "O" card. I feel it could get distracting and it just doesn't seem fun. I've toyed with the idea of "DM inspiration" in the past. If the party really likes a scene or NPC or how I run on something....whatever, they can award me an inspriation point. Every player gives one. I get to use that inspiration the same way that they do, but with NPC rolls. It was fun for a session, but I discontinued it.

With a regular group, you just elicit their feedback and use it in prepping future sessions. For a game at a con or when running an AL module, you are limited in how much you can do with that feedback. It just becomes a metagame distraction.

So I'm not so against them that I would walk away from a table that used them, and I appreciate the intent, but I find them unnecessary and distracting.

Jhaelen

First Post
While I'm not sure about the actual benefits, I don't see any harm in using this in my games.
I'm a bit surprised about some of the overly negative reactions I'm seeing in this thread. What's wrong with you guys?

Sadras

Legend
I'm a bit surprised about some of the overly negative reactions I'm seeing in this thread. What's wrong with you guys?

I guess they were triggered by the X card. We need to respect that and move on to an O thread. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The x card wasn't meant for me. If I have an issue with a game, I'll raise the issue to the group.

That being said, I can understand that it is necessary for some people. If it can make them feel more comfortable, I'm all for it.

In 15+ games at convention using it, it wasn't used once.

AriochQ

Adventurer
We did an entire podcast episode that, while not specifically about 'X' and 'O' cards, dealt with issues similar. It is entitled "Too Taboo for Tabletop" (The Grognards).

It covered many of the points already made here, as well as some other issues relating to morality and such.

IMHO, it boils down to: Know your table. If you don't know your table (e.g. convention game), keep your game PG rated.

I would never include 'X' cards at a table I run. I tend not to include extreme content. If the content I did include 'triggers' a player, they are free to verbally prompt me that they are uncomfortable. D&D is a social activity, interaction is expected. I am an emotionally aware adult and an experienced DM, I know when it is time to move the story along if a player expresses discomfort [I do the same thing if I detect players are bored with a segment of the adventure].

D&D is a game based on social interaction. It is often the case people are slightly uncomfortable in social interactions of any type. There are commonly used, and socially acceptable, methods for dealing with those situations (e.g. excusing yourself from the conversation, steering the conversation to a new topic, informing the speaker you are uncomfortable, etc.).

Taking the concept to the extreme, should people carry an 'X' card with them in case they end up in a random conversation that may have triggering content? Of course not. D&D is essentially an extended social interaction and shouldn't require any extra props when standard social skills suffice.

Sadras

Legend
D&D is essentially an extended social interaction and shouldn't require any extra props when standard social skills suffice.

Damn-it man, why do you resist the need to safe space our hobby.

I could have used an X while watching Starship Troopers.

"It's an ugly planet, a bug planet!"

jasper

Rotten DM
On the flip side, Kira Scott created its counterpart, the O-Card. It works the same way as the X-Card except it signals “more of this, please.”

As a GM, have you ever wondered if players were enjoying a specific sequence or aspect of a game? By using the O-Card, you don't have to guess. If it's invoked, you know the banquet scene that is all role-playing doesn't have to be rushed or next time, add more word puzzles for the players to solve.

Safety tools provide an easy way to ensure everyone enjoys the game, and the GM doesn't to guess about what is and isn't working.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

You know I might have like your article better. You could just said "X Card signals none of this please".
SO X X X X X

Remove ads

Remove ads