D&D 5E Is a Half-Caster -but still Magical- Cleric too different?

Satyrn

First Post
Also: go for your changes. They sound interesting and worth a shot.

There is nothing about the mechanics that really matters so long as I can tank it up and support my allies.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION]

I enjoy the thought of Clerics/Warlocks and maybe Paladins being built on a short rest Invocation(y) mechanic with Wizards/Druids and maybe Bards/Rangers/Sorcerers on the long rest.

It not only offers variety but can be explained though the lore. C/W contact a higher power for their gifts. W/D use their understanding of the world to change it.

Since you don't have paladins (and I would never suggest this in a setting with them), you could give the clerics the angel's healing touch (which cures a bunch of conditions). That would go along way to overcoming the problems with using the warlock as a cleric, since you wouldn't need to have a bunch of "once in a blue moon" spells available (tough with the warlock's limited # of spells that even the limited # of invocations doesn't do much to help with).

Another thought is to borrow from an older warlock tradition (the vestige/binder) and the barbarian to work up a bunch of spirits (and abilities) that the cleric could channel X times per day, so you could have battle channels (possibly similar to totem barbarian rages), utility channels (healing and guidance), and maybe some artillery zapping channels. That way the cleric is a weak warrior until he/she channels. If you did that, you could even do away with spell slots for the cleric all together (channeling is the limitation on how many "spells" they get).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Borrowing from Lunar (a console JRPG), I would suggest using the word "litany" in lieu of "prayer". To me, it just sounds more esoteric. ^_^

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases