Kickstarter, RPG Zine Quest, and Luke "Burning Wheel" Crane

Kickstarter’s February initiative, Zine Quest, promises to feature a variety of RPG zines to crowdfund. Since its announcement, we’ve been gathering requirements, talking to publishers about the projects they’ve planned for February, and written the first in a series of articles to raise awareness. To that end, we spoke with the project’s originator, Luke Crane, Head of Games @Kickstarter and owner of the Burning Wheel, a tabletop gaming publisher responsible for the Mouse Guard RPG, Dungeon World, and, of course, Burning Wheel. We asked Luke a variety of questions about the initiative and what he hopes to accomplish with the project.

Egg Embry & Sean Hillman (ENW): Getting right into it, do you have a sense of the size of the publisher pool that plans to participate in Zine Quest?
Luke Crane (LC): I’ve talked to a lot of folks who are interested, but it’s hard to say who will launch projects. I have seen some very exciting previews though.

ENW: What actions do publishers need to take to drive their RPG zine's to succeed?
LC
: This initiative is meant to be an easy pitch. Zines take some work, but not as much work as a full-color RPG hardback. You know? I hope to see modest goals of between $1000-$2000 with rewards set around $10. Publishers should make this one easy on themselves!

ENW: Is this part of a larger program to bring in even more RPG business to Kickstarter?
LC
: I’ve been personally tracking and tagging RPGs on Kickstarter for over six years. According to my research, there have been over 1,500 RPG projects, to which backers have pledged more than $65 million. These projects have an incredible 78% funding success rate. So, it is more to acknowledge the already amazing RPG community that exists on the platform.

ENW: Are there specific types of RPG zines that you hope to see?
LC
: I hope to see a good range, everything from complete games to articles, from comics about RPGs to bestiaries. I hope folks take the chance to do some weird stuff.

ENW: Is there a threshold that would mark this as a successful initiative for you?
LC
: My threshold is if I get to support a few creators making weird stuff, and to add some RPG ephemera to my collection.

ENW: On our open call article, EN World forum user, callinostros, asked if this initiative would only apply to print material? Would PDF-only or PODs count for this initiative?
LC
: Digital rewards count, but they still have to be in the format of a zine (no cheating with color interior art!).

ENW: Where did the inspiration come from for this initiative?
LC
: I love the games community on Kickstarter. I wanted to find something that acknowledged the creative energy of the backers and creators, without asking for everyone to do too much work. Zine-format projects seemed like the sweet spot there.

ENW: Do you have a favorite fanzine either from today or from back in the 80s or 90s?
LC
: It’s not quite old-school cool, but Vincent Baker’s Kill Puppies for Satan is a landmark achievement in zine-format RPGs.

ENW: Is there a specific word or phrase Zine Quest participants need to add to their project so it can be "counted"?
LC
: Folks should send their project links to games@kickstarter.com. We’ll tag them with #zinequest so they’re all added to the Zine Quest page.

EN WORLD (ENW): Are there any resources for publishers that you’d like to point out?
LC
: If folks are looking for a good zine printer, I’ve used SmartPress in the past. Lots of options for cover stocks and very reasonable prices.

ENW: Any chance of a Burning Wheel zine?
LC
: Would that I had time.

Writer’s Note: If you plan to publish an RPG zine for Kickstarter’s Zine Quest, please contact Sean (here) or Egg (here) to share any details about your zine so we can help spread the word in February.

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps! This article was contributed by Sean Hillman (SMHWorlds) and Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Is the advantage of this venture that zine designers/creators will have "built in" promotion for their work? Otherwise, what is the difference between doing this and running your own KS independently?

Bill,

Yes, that's it exactly! :) Kickstarter will give an additional promotional push, sites like EN World will write articles that share your work, and there will be more focus on RPG zines as a product during that time period.

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity in a future article or discuss your RPG crowdfunding project, please contact me here.

Bill Edmunds

First Post
Yes, that's it exactly! :) Kickstarter will give an additional promotional push, sites like EN World will write articles that share your work, and there will be more focus on RPG zines as a product during that time period.
Can you explain what you mean when you say "Kickstarter will give an additional promotional push?" I've got a project I think will be perfect for this!

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The periodical nature of a zine is a major reason I want to do one and am looking to submit to Zine Quest. However, the focus on monotone is really a time / money saver for me too. I will not steal art for a product I want to publish. So if I want to add art I have to do it myself or pay someone to do it. It is quicker and/or cheaper to legally acquire black and white art than color art.!

If you want to commission art then yes black and white is cheaper, but if I were starting a zine, I wouldn't do that. There are plenty of ways you can get free or inexpensive art that you can legally use in your publication. Sites like Wikimedia Commons have a ton of public domain art, DriveThruRPG has a ton of quality stock art that you can use for a few dollars each, and if you wanted to do a D&D Zine that you distribute through DM's Guild they have a ton of art from old WOTC books that you can use for free. If I were to start a Zine in this day and age, these are the types of resources I'd use.

Can you explain what you mean when you say "Kickstarter will give an additional promotional push?" I've got a project I think will be perfect for this!

Bill,

Luke Crane shared this, "We’ll tag them with #zinequest so they're all added to the Zine Quest page." The initiative as a whole will be shared via Kickstarter on their social media and the like.

If you plan on doing an RPG zine in February, please contact us Sean (here) or Egg (here) so we can share it via EN World. :)

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity in a future article or discuss your RPG crowdfunding project, please contact me here.

dave2008

Legend
If you want to commission art then yes black and white is cheaper, but if I were starting a zine, I wouldn't do that. There are plenty of ways you can get free or inexpensive art that you can legally use in your publication. Sites like Wikimedia Commons have a ton of public domain art, DriveThruRPG has a ton of quality stock art that you can use for a few dollars each, and if you wanted to do a D&D Zine that you distribute through DM's Guild they have a ton of art from old WOTC books that you can use for free. If I were to start a Zine in this day and age, these are the types of resources I'd use.

That is fine for you, but it not how I want to go about it. I can't speak for all the free / low cost options, but I have looked into it quite a bit over the years and I have not been satisfied with the quality and or content (not what I need). Now I was previously looking for a more polished product, so I will revisit these options, but that is also my point. The zine format has opened my eyes to the possibility of using the lower quality free products or producing my own. That is something I couldn't really do for a full book and be happy with it. With a zine I do not feel bound by the need to commission art - though I still might.

For example, when I looked into it more seriously about 1-2 yrs ago I figured I would need $10,000 min and more likely $20,000 of art to get a book product I would be satisfied with (I actually had goal of $50,000). I think I can get a years worth of zines out for less than $2000 in art, probably significantly less. It is really a whole different mindset for me.

dave2008

Legend
dave2008,

Sean Hillman and I want to ask you about your zine and share it with the [EN] World. Please contact us Sean (here) or Egg (here).

[Side note. It just occurred to me to use the "share it with the [EN] World" joke... I gotta sharpen my dad jokes game!]

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer

Egg and Sean,
I sent you both an update at the links you provided. Feel free to get in touch anytime and I will update you as I move forward. Thank you!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases