Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mars, of Space: 1889

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • the Ubiquitous "Other"

Votes: 47 41.6%

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Ah, good. I did it correctly.

As I said above, the choices were arbitrary; I expect "Other" to get quite a bit of use. Tell us which setting and why.

Glyfair

Explorer
I have to go with other:

Glorantha gets my vote as the best non-D&D world. Plus, it's not even close. It's a rich world, with lots of color. It is easily the campaign world with the best thought out mythology.

Glyfair of Glamis

Talislanta, WotC's first RPG. It was original, fresh, and full of magic, but not too full of magic. There was a limit to only 7 enchantments and/or magic items on a person at any one time, or else none would work. That really added a lot of flavor.

No Elves, and few of the common fantasy stereotypes, but everything made sense enough that it only took one read-through of the worldbook (which had great illustrations, in my opinion) to 'get' the world.

www.talislanta.com

Also, it had a fairly free-form magic system. Magic was limited in what it could do, but within those bounds, it could do a lot.

Nikchick

Explorer
Earthdawn. I was a big fan of Earthdawn back in the day. In fact, the more I've played around with 3E, the more sentimental I feel about Earthdawn. If the mechanics didn't feel so tied to the setting, I might even go so far as to run a 3E game with the whole Earthdawn setting, blood elves and Horrors and all.

Nicole

Cullain

First Post
Nikchick said:
Earthdawn. I was a big fan of Earthdawn back in the day. In fact, the more I've played around with 3E, the more sentimental I feel about Earthdawn. If the mechanics didn't feel so tied to the setting, I might even go so far as to run a 3E game with the whole Earthdawn setting, blood elves and Horrors and all.

Nicole

Seconded. Until 3E came out, I couldn't imagine running a fantasy game that wasn't Earthdawn. Everything about that game was just incredibly well done, IMO.

Cullain

Fenros

First Post
I had some fond memories playing in the following universes:

-Star Wars
-Castle Falkenstein
-Vampire: The Masquerade, Mage , Werewolf

Although I think there are many more interesting settings out there, its just I haven't played in them yet. So its not fair for me to truly list them here because my knowledge of them is only casual.

Last edited:

gubaru

First Post
Glorantha

Glyfair said:
I have to go with other:

Glorantha gets my vote as the best non-D&D world. Plus, it's not even close. It's a rich world, with lots of color. It is easily the campaign world with the best thought out mythology.
For the above and a big dose of nostalgia.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases