The Mad God's Key (Bront Judging)

Someone

Adventurer
Aristeas said:

"Or else he wants to be the only one with access to the contents for long enough to unlock them. The ancients clearly considered the document important. I doubt they went to all the trouble of mystical wardings for a list of foodstuffs. Perhaps the thief is hoping to boost his reputation by decoding the book himself and publishing the results after the furor dies down. Or perhaps he thinks the book will mention some location that he can raid for archaeological findings at his leisure. There are any number of possibilities."

"That's true. And adding the real possibility that the robber didn't act in a rational way, we shouldn't discount anything. Except that they are dangerous and don't hesitate to kill"

GwydapLlew

First Post
"I see that I made an excellent choice in selecting the five of you! I can easily list a score of collectors who may be interested in the book, and of those twenty, I would say a dozen would not stoop to theft and murder.

The book has been subjected to all manners of divinations to determine what would unlock it or what lay in its pages. No satisfactory information has ever been gleaned from them.

He rests a forefinger on the letter of marque and taps it.

"This will allow you access to the scene of the crime. It has been left as it was, and the corpse has been preserved by means of a gentle repose. The five one-hundred gold letters of credit are yours; consider it a down payment."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Clearly if the lock is resistant to normal means of dispelling, then whoever took it already knows more about the book than any of the researchers, or at least she thinks she does--she must think she knows the secret method of opening it too..."

"Made during the time of Malleon the Reaver...the turmoil and upheaval of the period would likely lead to discontented parties, and discontented parties stay hidden, their anger festering away from the watchful eyes of those in authority. Perhaps this book is meant to serve some dark purpose that made the jaws of our murderer slaver with desire."

Aristeas

First Post
"Perhaps we should save the speculation until after we've examined the scene. Do we have anymore questions for the Proctor? Myself, I'd like to know how much the faculty and students have been told about what happened. Rumors will fly no matter what we do, and if we want to avoid stirring up more, whatever we say had better coincide with the official story."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Weapon stands silently still. His job was not in these details. He protected or defended. Until then, he could wait.

Patlin

Explorer
"Well, let's be about it comrades. Do any of you have particular skill at healing? If not, we might consider pooling our resources for a healing wand."

[sblock=ooc]On the way to the crime scene, Rio wishes to send a short letter to his superior officer. It reads as follows:

Lord Odriel:

My travels have taken me to Sharn. I'm investigating a theft on behalf of Morgrave University in order to broaden my experiences, as per your instructions. I can be reached at the Tower's Shard Tavern, a local establishment in Sharn that offer certain advantages as a temporary base and a source of needed funds.

I eagerly await recall to the order and the opportunity to further serve Aundair. I hope you will not hesitate to call on me, should the opportunity arise.

Your Servant,

Rionus

I'm not sure what the standard charge is for House Orien to send this sort of message, I'll check mr ECS when I get home. I'm thinking it will be a couple of gold pieces.[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
"Such accessories are of little use to my make-up." He pats a sack. "I have some items of repair for my constitution if needed."

Aristeas

First Post
"I have some small skill at healing. If we plan to be mauled to badly, we might want to suppliment it, but we don't lack healing entirely."

[sblock=OOC]Sirrel is a 1st level archivist, meaning she casts like a much-less-versatile 1st level cleric. I can manage a Cure Light Wounds or two a day, though sadly I can't spontaneously heal. Also, unless we've got another source of income, can we even afford a wand of healing? They cost 750gp...

Orien mail service is 1 cp per mile. You could also send it by House Sivis Speaking Stones for 5gp, if your superior is far enough away to make that cheaper.[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
"I can't think on more questions, for now. I'm sure later we'll have others." says Tam, getting up.

"A healing wand would be great, but I doubt our total payment can afford one. Wouldn't be foolish to spend all of it and then some more to do the job we're paid for?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases