Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Never. Roleplaying is for £$%&*£’s!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am Tarquin the shady squid

Votes: 2 2.1%

Schmoe

Adventurer
Roleplaying level? It's over 9000!

Seriously, I love my group. Everyone has strong personalities and motivations. Dialog word choices and vocabulary would immediately tell you what character was talking if it was just transcribed, and for the ones that do it also an accent/way of speaking. Personalities are full-fledged, with flaws as well. We give out little "good RP" bennies and players who have missed the session sometimes still get them because they have such a strong personality that someone chimes in how they would respond to something and we all nod knowingly. We "pose" during combat, describing the attack and effects, and character personality affects tactics. We often do sessions without combat, occasionally with minimal dice roll of any type. We had a memorable session that ended up being nothing but great intra-party RP over a night of watches. Not at all what I had planned for the session but it was great.

Part of me wonders how much of a correlation there is between frequency of playing and amount of roleplaying that a group does. For example, I can see your session as something that might totally be taken in stride with a group that met weekly, and there would still be room for some feeling of campaign/character development. On the other hand, for a group that meets only once a month, and not always monthly at that, an entire session spent role-playing a night of watches might be a huge let-down due to lack of progress or development in the campaign.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
The best!

Well, except Hruggek (Bugbear deity). He's all like, "S'up. How YOU doin'?"

bugbears2.gif

There was a great one with Thor and the Midgard Serpent though.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Part of me wonders how much of a correlation there is between frequency of playing and amount of roleplaying that a group does. For example, I can see your session as something that might totally be taken in stride with a group that met weekly, and there would still be room for some feeling of campaign/character development. On the other hand, for a group that meets only once a month, and not always monthly at that, an entire session spent role-playing a night of watches might be a huge let-down due to lack of progress or development in the campaign.

We meet every other week after work, play about 7:30 to 11:00 so 3.5 hours. We will play down 1 player but not down 2 so we end up skipping sessions occasionally, and the summer is particularly hard.

The session of just role-playing watches was notable because it was just intra-party, usually there's plot happening even if not combat.

(And I run "sandbox positive" - I throw more adventure hooks at them then they can deal with, including repercussions of things they don't do, plus they often come up with their own things to pursue.)

Part of the reason we have so much RP is because the players get a lot of enjoyment out of it. They have interesting characters, have in-character drama (though not player drama). Characters have different goals and there's a lot of talk about what to do next to pursue them. But the interplay is just as big a factor to player enjoyment at my table as concluding plots.

The flip side of this is that, as you say, a lot of RP takes a lot of time. My campaigns advance both in plot and in level at a slower rate than "average".

The last two campaigns I ran were 5 years and 7 years long, and my current one had "Session 0" on Feb 25th of 2014 so it's 4.5 years and coming to a conclusion.

Crud. Missed it was multiple choice.

The group I DM for is quite often in character. The group I play in streams the game; unless we’re asking a question and dealing with mechanics, we’re in-character.

guachi

Hero
Best D&D campaign I was ever in would either be your second or third choices - "Most of the session" or "All but in combat".

Getting into character made the multi-year campaign so much more fun.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Latest Poll Research suggests; Tarquin the Shady Squid seems to be generating some love here. Are we going:

Triton Warlock Mask and At One...

or a straight up

Water Genasi Rogue here...?

KenNYC

Explorer
I fell in with a group that up and down the line are terrible role players. One guy if he is playing a character with low intelligence talks sort of like Goofy. That's as far as it goes. Another one when playing someone a little not all there mentally decided this was best shown by talking like Mickey Mouse. Another person when asked if her character was brave broke character to tell us she had 66 HP. Yet another one ignores everything the DM says in order to create sitcom situations which he personally finds amusing. The final player talks in rules, telling is what he is doing with his action, bonus action and so on.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I fell in with a group that up and down the line are terrible role players. One guy if he is playing a character with low intelligence talks sort of like Goofy. That's as far as it goes. Another one when playing someone a little not all there mentally decided this was best shown by talking like Mickey Mouse. Another person when asked if her character was brave broke character to tell us she had 66 HP. Yet another one ignores everything the DM says in order to create sitcom situations which he personally finds amusing. The final player talks in rules, telling is what he is doing with his action, bonus action and so on.

I feel your pain.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The whole time - since roleplaying is just playing a role.

If you mean portraying the character according to established characterization, then it's most of the session. Especially since Inspiration is on offer.

Remove ads