D&D 5E Regarding the Mage Hand cantrip spell...

Horwath

Legend
But whether the "weight no longer held" hits its target or not should be resolved with a die roll, meaning skill. Otherwise dropping things on character's heads would become the go-to tactic of all monsters.
"No, I don't have to roll because he is right below me, why did we have to learn how to use swords when this is so much easier?"

Have you ever tried to aim with something dropped towards a target 30 feet away? It is difficult at best. Wind, movement of the target, movement of yourself, and not being able to "eyeball it" to see that your aim is true would all come into play. Being 30 feet away would make aiming next to impossible. Yes, the mage hand can drop things, but hitting something with a dropped item should be more of a happy accident rather than the norm. Distraction is easier, just sort of in a general direction, close to its target with no chance to hit.

That being said, I would not be opposed to a feat that would allow this feat (haha, get a feat to perform a feat) and maybe one other minor ability (not only drop but maybe throw: use str mod as attack roll, so highest possible roll would be 15 for -5 Str). No proficiency, no skill, just a roll for the price of a feat. Something that can't even be done normally even with special training (arcane trickster), is now allowed because of the feat. Yes, it does seem mean to not allow mage hand to open vaults and cart away all the gold and jewels while that rogue/mage waits around the corner. Maybe there should be another, higher-level spell that could do that effect the way you want. 0=level spells should be limited as they are the weakest of spells, extremely minor magics (and don't get me started on the warlock and his 9th level cantrip).

ofc it would be a roll. I would call Int check for that, as you must calculate all things you said.

Maybe opposed int roll vs dex save. Or simply int check vs AC. with disadvantage.

Horwath

Legend
Feat: Mage hand master. Requirements: must know mage hand cantrip
+1 to int, wis or cha.

Your mage hand is always active. You still need to spend an action to make the hand do something.
Range is increased to 60ft.
Hand has effective strength equal to your spellcasting stat.
Hand can attack as unarmed for 1 damage +modifier, attack roll is your spell attack.
Hand can also attack with a 1handed weapon, add proficiency to attack only if you are proficient with the weapon.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you want to drop stuff your Mage Hand used to be carrying and claim "but it's not really an attack", then you can hit the square directly underneath the Hand.
The guy you really want to target gets every check the DM can think of (Perception to see it, DEX to get out of the way, &c) before it lands and goes SPLAT.
And you might discover you are facing an NPC Monk who catches the falling Flask of Alchemists' Fire in mid-air and throws it at YOU. Because turnabout is fair play.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases