Drinking Problem

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I have never heard a drink referred to as a “mild alcoholic beverage” before! Sounds like what Data from Star Trek would call it! :)

I'll consider that a compliment sir, and say thank you!

I'm not a fan of beer, more specifically, so I get those nifty flavored drinks; Mike's Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, etc, and they have about as much alcohol as kid's grape juice past its expiration date, so yeah - mild alcoholic beverage heh.

Besides, the Kentucky Bourbon isn't for DnD, and going blind from the local Moonshine wouldn't work well at all for DMing.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm not a fan of beer, more specifically, so I get those nifty flavored drinks; Mike's Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, etc, and they have about as much alcohol as kid's grape juice past its expiration date, so yeah - mild alcoholic beverage heh.
Someone must be watering down your Smirnoff Ices, then; because - and I say this from dire experience - I find if I knock back a few of those they'll hit me like a ton o' bricks; far harder than the same amount of good strong beer even though the beer, in theory, has a higher alcohol content.

Sweet cider is the same way, leading me to blame the sugar.

Besides, the Kentucky Bourbon isn't for DnD, and going blind from the local Moonshine wouldn't work well at all for DMing.
Drinks like this work just fine for DMing provided your players are keeping up with the pace you're setting... :)

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Someone must be watering down your Smirnoff Ices, then; because - and I say this from dire experience - I find if I knock back a few of those they'll hit me like a ton o' bricks; far harder than the same amount of good strong beer even though the beer, in theory, has a higher alcohol content.

Sweet cider is the same way, leading me to blame the sugar.

Drinks like this work just fine for DMing provided your players are keeping up with the pace you're setting... :)

I wouldn't know honestly how many really has an effect on me. For many reasons, I never partake of excess - but I've never felt it affect me after one or two. Interesting you'd consider them stronger than a higher proof beer though, I'll keep that in mind for inquiring friends, however.

I mostly emphasize the blind aspect about moonshine being bad for DMing.

Me: "I'm just going to assume I rolled a 20 and let the giant clobber you for 30."
Mage: "He's nowhere near me."
Me: "Oh... then he clobbers whoever he's near, you pick."

I suppose I could use it to brush up on my theater of the mind, right?

Moonshine, real moonshine, is dangerous stuff. The stuff I had at the in-laws Thanksgiving the one year, well, one taste was enough. I knew more than that and I’d be in trouble. And it was frightfully smooth.

I will say that sometimes, when gaming at home, I look like I’m drinking more than I am. I’ll disappear into the kitchen and come back with a tall tiki mug. But really, it’s something like iced mint tea with lavender simple syrup and a splash of bitters.

going blind from the local Moonshine wouldn't work well at all for DMing.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Moonshine, real moonshine, is dangerous stuff. The stuff I had at the in-laws Thanksgiving the one year, well, one taste was enough. I knew more than that and I’d be in trouble. And it was frightfully smooth.

I will say that sometimes, when gaming at home, I look like I’m drinking more than I am. I’ll disappear into the kitchen and come back with a tall tiki mug. But really, it’s something like iced mint tea with lavender simple syrup and a splash of bitters.

Right? I grew up in a Kentucky mountain town and I avoid the stuff as best as I can (moonshine), though I had it enough earlier on to know I don't want it now.

As far as tea and spirits, I've not once ever tried that - now you've got me curious.

The two that spring to mind immediately are Fish House Punch and Hot Buttered Rum:

Fish House Punch:

2.0 quarts Jamaican Rum
1.0 quart brandy
0.5 pint peach brandy
0.5 pint maraschino liquor
1.0 quart freshly made green tea
1.0 pint lemon juice
1.0 pound powdered (not confectioners’) sugar
1.0 bottle champagne

Stir together in a large pot with lid. Let brew (they advise for two days). When ready, pour over ice in a punch bowl and stir in the champagne

Hot Buttered Rum:

1 1/2 oz dark rum
1/4 oz maraschino liqueur
very hot black tea
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz sugar (1-1.5 tablespoon)
cloves
slim pat of butter

Pre-heat your glass, preferably a clear one. Add your rum, maraschino, lemon and sugar while the tea is steeping in another container. Add the hot tea. Garnish with a strip of lemon peel studded with cloves and float the butter on top.

Of the two, I prefer Hot Buttered Rum. Though, I think it is a little smoother with gold rum in place of dark.

As far as tea and spirits, I've not once ever tried that - now you've got me curious.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My HS Biology teacher explained one way to avoid hangovers: drink one can of beer early in the evening. The rest of the evening, refill it with water. If you drink more water than you drank beer, you will be fine in the morning.

For reasons he never explained, he refused to offer that advice during class time. :p

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Thank you, [MENTION=30438]Ralif Redhammer[/MENTION] - I'll have to try one of those soon - probably the Hot Buttered Rum (gold rum variant); I've always preferred gold to dark there, sounds like it'd go better with lemon anyway, for my tastes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tea & spirits? The only ones I’ve had were a Long Island Iced Tea and an Icepick.

The Icepick is surprisingly dangerous: it’s unsweetened tea with vodka; it tastes like unsweetened tea.

One coffee mix I drink with relative regularity is a Café Oscar: black coffee with a shot of coffee liqueur and a shot of amaretto.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases