Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

innerdude

Legend
I have to say, I actually find this interesting. Depending on how well it shakes out for fantasy, this might be something I'd be very interested in as a change of pace from Savage Worlds.

The dice mechanic certainly isn't any more confusing than Savage Worlds'. Without fail, at least once or twice per session, I'll STILL have to remind a player to roll their wild die on a check, or that a raise on a damage roll only gives them a single extra d6. I'd imagine after 2-3 sessions, this wouldn't be any harder.

The real test is in what kinds of stories will it all allow groups to engage in?

Rupert Gilliand

First Post
I've run a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game for 10 or so sessions. Within a couple of sessions the dice felt just as intuitive as any other dice system I've played with.
Assemble dice pool with nice and easy GM guidelines for throwing in positive or negative modifiers in the form of the boost (blue cubes) and setback (black cubes) dice.
What I really enjoy is that the symbols cancel, rather than the dice. So if there's a positive modifier to stealth (for example) such as foggy conditions, simply add a boost or two. But if there's also a negative modifier like a loudly malfunctioning cybernetic leg, add in a setback die as well!

I found that the success (starburst symbols) with threat (the Imperial symbols) or failure (caltrop-y thingys) with advantage (Jedi wingy symbols) builds in a really fun dynamic with good guidelines in the rules for what that can look like. I really enjoy how a blaster shot can miss (uncancelled failure results) but still achieve a positive result like flushing the target out of cover, perhaps (with uncancelled advantage results).
Dungeons and Dragons (which I love dearly), as a simpler dice system example, doesn't have any way aside from DM fiat for showing that kind of nuance (and that's OK, there's lots of ways to include that if we're so inclined as DMs).

heptat

Explorer
And I mostly came here to post about FFG's lack of an L5R rpg. However, I don't think this would be a good fit for L5R like heptat seems to suggest.

I suggest it might be a good fit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Then again, heptat might just be saying it'd be nice to have a new L5R rpg.

I'm not sure a new edition is required—4th edition is pretty good. But now that FFG own the rights, it seems quite possible they'd would work on a new RPG for L5R...and Genesys is their new (and only) RPG system...

But what would I know? :)

imagineGod

Legend
I'm intrigued, but a little annoyed that the symbols are different than what are on the dice I already own.

I with the Star Wars games improved upon what was used for Warhammer. I'm aware the concept is the same, but I think the SW games implemented the concept better. If this manages to improve upon the concept again, I think it will be a great product.

The GENESYS symbols look different but still map one-to-one for every FFG Star Wars symbol. I think FFG opted to have GENESYS be more generic and stay away from Star Wars specific iconography (like the Imperial symbol used for Threat on various dice).

If you have played FFG Star Wars for a while you can easily convert the symbols between both systems on the fly during play.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'm really looking forward to this. We've had a great time with Star Wars and I'm looking forward to seeing what other settings will be available.

We've found the system much more involving, because the whole table throws out ideas for roll results.

Argyle King

Legend
The GENESYS symbols look different but still map one-to-one for every FFG Star Wars symbol. I think FFG opted to have GENESYS be more generic and stay away from Star Wars specific iconography (like the Imperial symbol used for Threat on various dice).

If you have played FFG Star Wars for a while you can easily convert the symbols between both systems on the fly during play.

I can see the reasoning for it. It likely prevents future problems with selling a product in the event that the SW license becomes unavailable.

JeffB

Legend
If anyone cares or is concerned about/intimidated by the dice, below is the link to my thread about running AOR for 2 very casual gamers. My 17yo and his buddy. We have been playing D&D casually for 6+ years but they are not into rules or reading books and definitely not into "crunch". Anyhoo, they picked up the game and dice in about 2 hours or less.

2nd page also has the rundown on the second adventure I ran for them. The dice mechanics really make the game/make for memorable moments, IME.

FFG-STAR-WARS-Revisited

aramis erak

Legend
I loved the concept when reading it in the Warhammer 3e rules ... wow sounds so fun. In play I had a hard time with it from a player and gm perspective. It seemed really slow to resolve. Maybe with experience this speeds up but we never got past more than 2 sessions each time we tried. I have not tried Star Wars, so unsure if anything changed.

Star Wars changed the odds a bit, reduced the number of symbols (from 9 to 6 in common task use; force users use two more symbols), and made the result finding for advantage/threat more straightforward and open than WFRP's Fortune and Misfortune aka Bane & Boon.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads