Gallant Knight Games Designing 2nd Edition of WEG’s D6 System

Gallant Knight Games have signed an agreement with Nocturnal Media, the company that owns West End Games, to design, publish and distribute a new edition of the classic D6 System. The D6 System has been a popular system over the last thirty years and with FFG bringing out a limited anniversary edition of the classic WEG Star Wars The Roleplaying Game later this year the system will be in the spotlight again.

Gallant Knight Games have signed an agreement with Nocturnal Media, the company that owns West End Games, to design, publish and distribute a new edition of the classic D6 System. The D6 System has been a popular system over the last thirty years and with FFG bringing out a limited anniversary edition of the classic WEG Star Wars The Roleplaying Game later this year the system will be in the spotlight again.

“Since Nocturnal purchased West End Games, the plan has been to revitalize the D6 System and modernize a system so many gamers have enjoyed.” Steve Wieck says, “This partnership with Gallant Knight is part of our journey to achieve that.”

This new edition will be overseen by Gallant Knight Games’ design team, with approvals from Nocturnal Media & West End Games.

“The West End Games D6 system and it’s classic D6 game of cinematic space opera adventure was hugely informative of my growth as a young gamer,” Alan Bahr, founder of Gallant Knight Games adds. “Helping to bring West End Games back into the mainstream gaming community is an exciting moment for us, and serving as the official West End Games creation and publishing studio is an opportunity of a lifetime!”

More announcements about changes in D6 System: Second Edition, timelines and dates will be forthcoming!

Gallant Knight Games and Nocturnal Media have had extremely close connections in the past, with Nocturnal Media buying GKG and bringing Alan Bahr on board until Nocturnal Media’s founder, Stuart Wiecks, sudden death earlier this summer. Gallant Knight Games returned to Alan and has since merged with novels and comics publishers Ragnarok Publications and Outland Entertainment.

The current D6 System is Open License, allowing anyone to produce games using the system.

You can read the full press release here.

Von Ether

Legend
The thing is though, since it was released as open content and there are many variations on it, I'm not sure how much a new version is actually needed.

Well, here's the corundum. You love a game and you want to publish it and hopefully bring it the attention it deserves. If you just cut and paste the open content with pretty pictures and sell it, some people are going to feel shorted and others will just shrug and decide to use the free online stuff, which helps, but it doesn't exactly put change in your pocket.

If you tweak the system, put in some effort, you offer people something of value. Some people appreciate that and may get it because it's a slight tweak (or collects the best practices for that system) and they can still use the online stuff to supplement.

Either way can succeed, either way can fall flat on it's face and you really can't tell until you try. But one method at least shows there some heart and a desire to offer more to the player.

Danel Fisher

First Post
Look at the newest version of the Star Wars revised, expanded, and updated (REUP) for what might be updated.
It's a fan made creation and it's incredible.

I'll add my 2c here as well. REUP is amazing. WEG Star Wars (1st, 2nd, and revised) was my first RPG and we played it for years. REUP has taken every reasonable house rule I ever read about and put together an amazing professional looking document. Gallant Knight has some tough shoes to fill to surpass this fan-made document.

Also, I've recently tried returning to D6 as a Rules Light alternative to the new versions of Traveller, Shadowrun, and others. The Open License stuff is a bit dated now so professional level revision with good campaign support should breathe some life into an otherwise great system.

aramis erak

Legend
D6 was popular more due to excellent handling of the settings... Star Wars, MIB, Hercules & Xena, revised Indanna Jones, Ghostbusters/GBI, Batman...

WEG was workmanlike, not great, mechanically. Not bad enough to drive people off. Not good enough to be a great universal engine.

WEG's setting handling, however, was absolutely awesome. And not just on the d6 side. Indiana Jones as a masterbook game was awesome. Torg was its own seller. Shatterzone was their weakest link setting-wise.

Unfortunately, they picked several that weren't good sellers - Indiana Jones, Tank Girl, Batman, Herc & Zena...

dbm

Savage!
Finally - "generic" game systems are not doing great right now. Savage Worlds is the only one I can think of offhand and that's mainly because of Deadlands and the other strong settings/campaigns available for it. How big is GURPS right now? Hero? Most systems used in multiple games (and doing well) emphasize the individual games more than the system: It's Conan, Star Trek, Mutant Chronicles, etc., not just "The 2d20 system". It's FFG's Star Wars, L5R, etc. not just "The Funky Dice System". I think this would do a lot better if it was tied to a setting and not just sold a standalone rules system.

Just my $.02
Ironically, FFG has just released Genesys, which is indeed ‘the funky dice system’ and has pretty much sold out the first print run immediately.

Cortex Prime kickstarted last April and ended up with over 2700 backers.

So there is still demand for generic systems out there. Whether this will be a good addition to the stable remains to be seen.

Remove ads

Remove ads