D&D 4E A gathering of Martial Controllers - what do you think

Realistically of course the most likely multi attack with such weaponry would be using the back end of the glaive/halberd interchangeably so you can threaten and block enemies behind you and in front.. ie you might actually loose the reach AND having to have a feat or class feature to extend the area actually works ;) Not that realism is exactly a goal.

Yeah, I like it!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK Mearles has gone whacko.

I mean, here's the thing, I may not be some sort of published game designer, but I've written a LOT of games, actually. From the time I was 12 I wrote games, RPGs, wargames, table top games, etc. I've made some decent games that bunches of people played, usually with a few other people working on the better ones. I feel like I have SOME idea what the process and constraints are to building games and getting people to play them. I'm sure there's plenty I don't know about what goes on in Mike Mearls' office and career and WotC, nor could I do his job. Still, some of the stuff the guy says is just so utterly weird and doesn't ring true to me. Every decision he makes goes in a direction that seems to make me cringe. 5e seems completely antithetical to what feels right in evolving a version of D&D to me, and having played 1e and 2e for 20+ years I just can't even recognize 1e in what he's describing.

Now, if he'd said it about OD&D, I would have found it to be a much more credible statement in many respects. Not that the game is some wondergame by modern standards, but it did do certain things, and had certain qualities, that are not easy to produce in a game.

The guy basically said designers should ignore action economy... what a flipping loon.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think he just approaches game design more as an art than science...
Sloppy overly narrow and prone to breaking - Its like telling engineers building tools to ignore friction and gravity and go with their gut... or making brushes and other art tools using the pretty materials instead of the ones that work.

My degree is in computer science with minors in art and physics ... art does not mean ignoring the science.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sloppy overly narrow and prone to breaking - Its like telling engineers building tools to ignore friction and gravity and go with their gut... or making brushes and other art tools using the pretty materials instead of the ones that work.
D&D is more DeLorean than Honda Acord. ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Or Martial Controllers whichever thread this is [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] and [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases