Dragonlance Dragonlance adaptation to D&D 5th Edition

PabloM

Adventurer
Might I make a suggestion regarding Moon Magic?

Instead of increasing the DC of the caster's spells, allow them to cast those spells as if they were of a higher caster level. That, or allow the casters to count as a level higher (like they were in previous editions). While this doesn't allow them access to new spells when they are of a higher level, it will allow them to access to more spells and the ability to cast one of their known spells at a higher spell level.

Just a thought.

Nice thought, but I´m afraid that I don´t follow you. The caster level in 5e is a diminished factor in comparison to spell slot used to cast a spell. In most spells you have to spend a higher spell slot to enhace the spell efects, so enhace the effective caster level it won´t necessarily enhace the spell.

PabloM

Adventurer
Cool! I'm running a Dragonlance 5E campaign myself (set 300 years after DoSF). I just ignored the whole Age of Mortals/War of Souls timeline and branched off from DoSF.

I’ll admit my approach was just to reskin or only lightly touch up the available 5E races and classes as much as possible.

Thanks! This document started with that approach too, and in fact we never wanted to get away from the core book as the only tool to play.

In another vein, interesting time line you have...

PabloM

Adventurer
Fun! I started converting the Heroes of the Lance, which is far easier in 5e than it was in 4e. They transfer over ok with their original stats, although picking the right sub-classes and feats is fun. Tika even got a write up as a fighter with her thieves' abilities being covered off with her background in 5e.

Totally fun! We made this list, but we never actually passed from the first:

Tanis: fighter (battle master), Folk Hero
Raistlin: wizard (abjurer), Sage
Caramon: fighter (champion), Folk Hero
Sturm: fighter (cavalier), Knight
Tas: Rogue (thief), Far Traveler
Tika: Like the PHB
Flint: fighter (champion), Guild Artesan
Goldmoon: cleric (life), Noble
Riverwind: barbarian (berserker), Outlander
Laurana: fighter (baneret), Noble

Pauln6

Hero
Totally fun! We made this list, but we never actually passed from the first:

Tanis: fighter (battle master), Folk Hero
Raistlin: wizard (abjurer), Sage
Caramon: fighter (champion), Folk Hero
Sturm: fighter (cavalier), Knight
Tas: Rogue (thief), Far Traveler
Tika: Like the PHB
Flint: fighter (champion), Guild Artesan
Goldmoon: cleric (life), Noble
Riverwind: barbarian (berserker), Outlander
Laurana: fighter (baneret), Noble

Nice! I did a rough draft of Tanis and Laurana and I came to similar conclusions. Laurana had quite high stats and really benefits from the edition change. I suppose one option is to give her a built in stat boost instead of a feat. With his crap armour Tanis possibly lends himself more towards a ranged fighter. Tika in the novels is pretty much just a fighter so I think giving her thieves skills from her background is probably the best option. I wish there were more alternatives for the fighter subclasses but I suppose the tavern brawler feat would let Tika fight with her frying pan.

Nice thought, but I´m afraid that I don´t follow you. The caster level in 5e is a diminished factor in comparison to spell slot used to cast a spell. In most spells you have to spend a higher spell slot to enhace the spell efects, so enhace the effective caster level it won´t necessarily enhace the spell.

Let's say I'm a 6th level wizard. My moon's in High Sanction. I now count as a 7th level wizard for the purposes of spell-casting. I don't get to learn any new 4th level spells, but I do get the extra spell slots associated with a higher level spellcaster, and I can cast my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells at 4th level if I am able to do so (since I have a 4th level slot).

Let's say I'm a 7th level wizard now, and my moon is in Low Sanction. I effectively cast spells as a 6th level spellcaster, which means I lose access to 4th level spells.

Irda Ranger

First Post
In another vein, interesting time line you have...

Well I really didn’t like the Fifth Age stuff at all, so I just stopped reading the novels at that point. So I’m not personally vested in any of that and preferred the setting (and pre-Great Dragon geography) I knew.

PabloM

Adventurer
Let's say I'm a 6th level wizard. My moon's in High Sanction. I now count as a 7th level wizard for the purposes of spell-casting. I don't get to learn any new 4th level spells, but I do get the extra spell slots associated with a higher level spellcaster, and I can cast my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells at 4th level if I am able to do so (since I have a 4th level slot).

Let's say I'm a 7th level wizard now, and my moon is in Low Sanction. I effectively cast spells as a 6th level spellcaster, which means I lose access to 4th level spells.

I understand, but I think while is a good idea, adds too unnecessary complexity to the game. The same effect (demonstrate the enhaced power of a Wizard in a High Sanction and the decrease of that power in a Low Sanction) can be done by adding or substracting a number to spell attack and save DC.

PabloM

Adventurer
Well I really didn’t like the Fifth Age stuff at all, so I just stopped reading the novels at that point. So I’m not personally vested in any of that and preferred the setting (and pre-Great Dragon geography) I knew.

I don´t know anybody who really likes the 5th Age stuff. I made peace with it after reading the 3e era books. Cam Banks made a really good work.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I don´t know anybody who really likes the 5th Age stuff. I made peace with it after reading the 3e era books. Cam Banks made a really good work.

Most of the SAGA era books made the classic mistake of focusing on new characters I just couldn't get into. And while the War of Souls books were fine and arguably Weis & Hickman's highest-quality writing, they smacked hard of being exactly what they were: an attempt to lend legitimacy to the setting's return to D&D proper by way of its most respected authors.

Last edited:

PabloM

Adventurer
Most of the SAGA era books made the classic mistake of focusing on new characters I just couldn't get into. And while the War of Souls books were fine and arguable Weis & Hickman's highest-quality writing, they smacked hard of being exactly what they were: an attempt to lend legitimacy to the setting's return to D&D proper by way of its most respected authors.

I agree. I quit reading the novels a long time ago (in fact I don´t think they are particularly good, even the Chronicles), but I keep playing in the setting understanding it as it is: a very good classic D&D setting. Thereby, reading the 3e books (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, Age of Mortals, Races of Ansalon, etc.) made me change my mind about the current time line (with little changes here and there of course).

Anyway, it´s nice to realize there are some Dragonlance fans out there. The setting is far from dead, although is far form its best moment of popularity too.

Remove ads