Where Do They Get Their Money? Part Two

Today we’re going to talk more about money. Last column I discussed some of the quirks of coinage as a unit of weight backed by the commodity metal it’s minted from. This time, I’ll talk about other kinds of money.

Today we’re going to talk more about money. Last column I discussed some of the quirks of coinage as a unit of weight backed by the commodity metal it’s minted from. This time, I’ll talk about other kinds of money.

Representative money is a unit with no intrinsic value - such as a zinc disc, or a slip of durable paper - that can be exchanged for a precious commodity, such as gold or silver. Why switch to representative money, however, if the previous coins minted from commodities worked perfectly fine before?

Remember my previous column, where I mentioned how precious metal coinage could be defaced by shaving and milling. Having the coinage itself be base metal, exchangeable for commodity, would help ensure and protect its worth. Moreover, if the coin itself is just a token exchangeable for gold or silver, why not use lighter media such as paper or cloth as units of exchange for units that would be unwieldy to carry around?

Five thousand gold pieces weighs about a hundred pounds, if you go by D&D 5E’s estimations - kind of unwieldy for most purposes. A letter of credit from a certified bank, backed by its reserves of gold, however, makes for a more convenient token of exchange than the coinage itself. This lends itself well to settings with established, entrenched mercantile banking systems, especially if the PCs are going to be dealing in units of cargo.

Representative paper money is vulnerable to forgery, however, which means, of course, that counter-forgery measures will enter use. For example, modern paper currency utilizes watermarks, specially made paper or polymer, and holographic strips of metal embedded in the note’s surface. A setting with widespread magic might have slightly more exotic ways of demonstrating its authenticity. A rather more white-collar thieves’ guild might be locked in an arms race of exploits and countermeasures, with squads of roguish alchemists performing experiments to reverse-engineer an alchemical ink used only on authentic banknotes, while a bank’s own experts examine forgeries in order to refine their techniques.

Magic could also be an interesting way of protecting paper money from forgery. A letter of credit signed to a specific bearer could be reinforced with a silent image displaying the features of its owner. Such a note would require disguises to successfully use if filched, and imagine trying to pick pockets if a banknote screams that it’s been stolen once it’s been taken? The note’s rightful owner would of course have received a token from the bank that silenced the magic as long as both were in their possession.

This can lead to an entertaining world building wrinkle. Imagine if you will, a guild of commercial wizards who specialize more in banking, logistics and long-range communications setting up their own bank. Their arcane measures would make their banknotes the most reliable ones in a region, and their access to non-couriered forms of messaging means that they could establish branches in faraway ports without too much difficulty. Now consider dragons. They are sapient, long-lived, and love piles of treasure. An enterprising dragon could form its own banking system run by kobolds day-to-day, a monstrous counterpart to the wizard-backed bank.

Both the examples above - the wizard’s guild or the dragon - would make for an excellent patron for a group of PCs, especially if they own their own trading vessel, or journey for rare commodities such as spices and gems. Those would also make for entertaining dungeon plans, given the necessity for vaults and guards, and provide an exciting backdrop for a heist adventure.

This article was contributed by M.W. Simmes as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Here's a thought: clip a gold coin, then cast Mending on it. Repeat often enough to amass a small pile of gold dust.

Or: buy a cheap flawed gemstone. Cast Mending. Sell your newly flawless and much more valuable gemstone.

In both cases.

- In order to mend the gold coin you'd need to have the original that you clipped. Mending does not work on the clip.
- In order to mend the gemstone it would have to be flawed due to damage. Mending an object that by default has a flaw, would result in restoring the flaw.

You can't restore something that was never anything to begin with.

Thanks
KB

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
This is a good point - but I think that the "liberated hoards of gold" phenomenon would remain rare - after all, there can only be so many hoards! If "adventuring" is common as a career, soon almost all hoards would be found/liberated.

In general (and this is different for each campaign world but here's my take based a bit on history and a bit on my own game.)

- Hoards happened due to burial rites and banking. Rulers hoarded wealth as a reinforcement of power as well as natural accumulation over time. Banks accumulate wealth to reinforce their trading operations as until recently in historical terms paper needed to be backed up with valuable items.

- Hoards have different compositions and many aren't financially based until someone assigns a value to it. If you run in to a lost library it's likely got as much value as a hoard of gold, but only to the right buyers.

- Adventurers create their own hoards. So if anything, we're seeing a constant redistribution of wealth in a world that can realistically support adventuring guilds. Supply/Demand would indicate that if you create adventuring guilds and there's enough wealth to support multiple groups of adventurers, then it's a matter of time before adventuring groups start stealing from each other, or they die off and leave hoards.

Most people in a world won't want to develop themselves enough or can't develop themselves enough to take the risks of adventuring life successfully. So as long as I keep in mind that game death happens, the whole model is sustainable to some degree of believability.
-

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you wanted to be "realistic" about it, yes. :)

That's the thing. Some people think that PCs finding a huge hoard would drive up inflation in a significant manner, and that they (as a GM) should raise prices to be "realistic"

I'm pointing out that if they want to be realistic... it wouldn't drive up prices.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
- Adventurers create their own hoards. So if anything, we're seeing a constant redistribution of wealth in a world that can realistically support adventuring guilds. Supply/Demand would indicate that if you create adventuring guilds and there's enough wealth to support multiple groups of adventurers, then it's a matter of time before adventuring groups start stealing from each other, or they die off and leave hoards.

This could lead to an EVE-online esque situation, where some adventurers specialize in preying on other adventurers - why bother dungeneering, when we can just murder those suckers in their sleep and take their stuff?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
That's the thing. Some people think that PCs finding a huge hoard would drive up inflation in a significant manner, and that they (as a GM) should raise prices to be "realistic"

I'm pointing out that if they want to be realistic... it wouldn't drive up prices.

I'm not an economist by any stretch of the imagination. So I'm probably completely off-base, but I suspect that in many cases any sudden price increases are for a different type of realism - that of the locals fleecing the rich tourists who are flush with new money. :)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm not an economist by any stretch of the imagination. So I'm probably completely off-base, but I suspect that in many cases any sudden price increases are for a different type of realism - that of the locals fleecing the rich tourists who are flush with new money. :)

flush with old money, but yes, that could happen :)

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
This could lead to an EVE-online esque situation, where some adventurers specialize in preying on other adventurers - why bother dungeneering, when we can just murder those suckers in their sleep and take their stuff?

EVE Online - Sure, why not? I get that you're mentioning it in a negative context, but it's a great game with probably the best overall competitive environment. It's just not friendly to new players which is part of the charm if you're looking for realism.

Murder suckers in sleep and take their stuff - Another adventuring party is the least of your problems as a successful adventuring group. I'd count thieves guilds, nobility, opposed churches, and the forces of evil all as a higher risk and a reason why hordes are supposed to be defended in the first place. If another adventuring party can actually murder you and take your stuff in your sleep.. why are any of these other more numerous and better funded folks not doing it already?

Point is.. even if you only need to develop your world to the degree that your players interact with it, the world does not have to behave the same way and shouldn't. If a thieves guild catches wind of your windfall and the nobles feel you've not been taxed, or the evil church next door decides they're tired of your contributions to Pelor.. meh.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
EVE Online - Sure, why not? I get that you're mentioning it in a negative context, but it's a great game with probably the best overall competitive environment. It's just not friendly to new players which is part of the charm if you're looking for realism.

Murder suckers in sleep and take their stuff - Another adventuring party is the least of your problems as a successful adventuring group. I'd count thieves guilds, nobility, opposed churches, and the forces of evil all as a higher risk and a reason why hordes are supposed to be defended in the first place. If another adventuring party can actually murder you and take your stuff in your sleep.. why are any of these other more numerous and better funded folks not doing it already?

Point is.. even if you only need to develop your world to the degree that your players interact with it, the world does not have to behave the same way and shouldn't. If a thieves guild catches wind of your windfall and the nobles feel you've not been taxed, or the evil church next door decides they're tired of your contributions to Pelor.. meh.

I've played a lot of EVE online, and this cuthroat philosophy may be... unpleasant. Unless the PCs were ultra quiet about what they were doing, it would essentially guarantee a fatal ambush sooner or later.

Nobles and thieves trying to press them for cash? That is more manageable.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I've played a lot of EVE online, and this cuthroat philosophy may be... unpleasant. Unless the PCs were ultra quiet about what they were doing, it would essentially guarantee a fatal ambush sooner or later.

Nobles and thieves trying to press them for cash? That is more manageable.

The folks most likely to stage a fatal ambush in any environment are those who either make or are above the law. I don’t know that the nobility or the thieves guilds are more manageable than a group of adventurers. Depends on how your world works.

I guess mine reflects a certain sensibility that all things being equal, and the world being very dangerous, adventurer group or not, if you don’t make powerful friends, all you’re going to have is lots of powerful enemies.

This is a good point - but I think that the "liberated hoards of gold" phenomenon would remain rare - after all, there can only be so many hoards! If "adventuring" is common as a career, soon almost all hoards would be found/liberated.

So, you move the main currency to silver (SP = GP), make gold rarer and copper useful as change. I always felt there was too much gold lying around, and that was my solution. As for adventurers, given how many die I just see them as an instrument to redistribute the treasure they find :)

Remove ads

Remove ads