D&D 5E Thaumaturgy Cantrip.

gyor

Legend
16. Badger, and other types, of mating calls.
17. The call to battle, the sounding of the horn.
18. Pretending your blind, as opps sorry Princess I didn't realize those where your breasts, as you can see from my pupilless eyes I'm blind ;p
19. For Tiefling Rogues, pretending your a holy man of a God you made up when you were board, "Of course I'm the high priest of Benny Hill, God of Random Groping, see my miracles?"
20. Making Smoothies, just place your goblet of ingrediants on the ground and cause a minor earthquake.
21. Making Drow and other Underdark critters pee themselves, oh look the ground is shaking, the underdark is about to collapse!

MarkB

Legend
Making unlocked doors fly open at a distance is a great way to safeguard against undetected traps or ambushes.

Changing the brightness and/or colour of flames is a great way for sentries on watch at night to signal to each other.

An amplified voice will let you cut through others' speeches or interjections at a crowded meeting.

Since most of these effects last for exactly one minute, stringing a few of them together is a great way to time a boiled egg.

Nebulous

Legend
I trying to think of practical uses for Thaumaturgy.

So far I've come up with...

1. Using it to cause a distracting sound to draw someone away, like scream that draws the guards away.

2. Amplifying ones voice for a performance, like singing in a Tavern, or a Serumon to the faithful.

3. Creeping people out.

4. Intimatation, yelling at someone with an amped up voice, with black eyes with burning flames for pupils, and the ground trembling, is pretty intimadating.

5. When fleeing, shutting doors behind you to deter those chasing you.

6. Ambushing someone, dim thier campfire and turn its colour black before attacking.

7. Pranks, a loud fart sound appears to come from the Princess.

8. Displaying you faith by showing you holy symbol in your eyes.

Really Thaumaturgy doesn't seem to have much use beyond screwing with people and Performances. Especially screwing with people. Can anyone come up with any more practical uses for Thaumaturgy Cantrip?

Well, your list is good. i think it is only limited by the imagination, and it is actually an incredibly powerful spell that in the hands of a clever party can do all kinds of stuff. My group would use groupthink to come up with interesting tactics, not just the wizard player. It seems designed particularly to encourage roleplaying and no mechanical consequences at all, which i like. If anything, it would just give a bonus or penalty to something.

gyor

Legend
Its a Cleric/Tiefling spell, not a Wizard spell, although if the wizard is a Tiefling, Multiclass Cleric, or has a feat that allows him to take a Cleric cantrip he can use it.

[MENTION=40176]MarkB[/MENTION] good list.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Last year during one of the earlier playtest packets, this spell saved the party's life. We were playing Blingdingstone and had just battled a group of orcs. We beat them, but we were all hurt (some pretty badly), and I was out of healing spells (I was a dwarven cleric). So who comes running around a corner about 50 yards away? Another group of orcs. So what did I do?

I strode forward among the bodies of the slain orcs, slammed my war hammer on the ground, causing it to tremble with the spell, and shouted out in orcish "Fun ain't over yet boys! Here comes some more practice!" The DM ruled that with that use of spell, along with my persuasion skill, gave me advantage and a bonus to my check. the orcs skidded to a stop and fled the other way.

To which I turned to my party and said more quietly, "Now run you fools before they catch on!" :D
that is what dnd memories are made of baby yeah!

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Perfect cantrip IMO. Not really directly useful in combat, but it sparks the imagination and adds fun and flair; can be played seriously or for fun, lots of variety in its effect.

ramesh11

First Post
The door one appears like maybe valuable past ability consult a generious DM.

10. Your all locked up as well as shaking in the direction of the door they neglected to unlock, so you cast Thaumaturgy fo open it and also run away.

11. A drawbridge is a kind of door, cast Thaumaturgy to close it while adversary soldiers are encountering it.

12. Murmur a fast message to somebody without any individual observing.

13. B&E, your scaling the wall surfaces of a castle and also you utilize Thaumaturgy to open up the home window you intend on utilizing to get in the castle prior to you obtain thier.

14. You simply dedicated a criminal offense as well as you do not intend to leave finger prints on the door take care of so you open it with Thaumaturgy.

15. Back Massage therapy, you lay on the ground as well as create the ground to shiver.

Remarkably Thaumaturgy for Clerics makes use of Knowledge as its stat, if that every turns up, however Tieflings make use of Personal appeal rather.

Side not Thaumaturgy is a Transmutation spell with just a spoken compenent.
https://dndguide.com/spells/thaumaturgy

The reality its Transmutation isn't really of much usage.

So no Product Compenents required, no divine sign as emphasis required, no geastures required. A fast petition or potentially curse when it comes to a Tiefling and also there you go.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Thaumaturgy is useless in a white-room theorycrafting environment, or for DPR King purposes.

But play in a campaign with some descriptions … oh the trouble you can get out of / get into!

- Darth Vader sound effects before interrogation of prisoners.
- Magnify running horse clip-clop to sound like stampede (requires blocked line-of-sight so enemy cannot detect your fraud)
- Sound of approaching marching feet, say to enemies "here come my friends."
- Plan ahead to make the Face's entrance as impressive as possible, that's just my half-crazy sidekick back there muttering to himself.
- "Earthquake" could break china, glass, &c if you can make things fall off shelves / hooks
- "Earthquake" could threaten to knock fragile vial of Potion of Live-Extending off table and force BBEG to save it rather than turn on his Contraption of Deathtrap
- The Sound of Silence: counter-vibrate other noises (highly DM-dependent) Help I've gone deaf!
- Your eyes shed light. Like a candle? "Here we are in the Underdark, but I look at the knot on his wrists; hey, Rogue, can you untie him now that you can see?"
- Your eyes shed light, and anybody relying on writing 'secret messages' in the dark (due to shades-of-grey vision) will cry

alienux

Explorer
I've been running a game on and off for a group of dads and sons for a year or two. When we first started, my son was 11 and fairly new to D&D. He used thaumaturgy in HotDQ after the group captured an enemy and wanted to intimidate him for info. My son had his character get right up in the restrained prisoner's face and used thaumaturgy to alter his own eyes so that the enemy could see an image of himself dying in his eyes. I gave my son advantage on the intimidation check and the prisoner gave him the info he wanted.

Remove ads