BLUE ROSE Returns, Championing Diversity & Inclusiveness

Back in 2005, Green Ronin published a roleplaying game called Blue Rose. It was designed by Jeremy Crawford (yep, him who works at WotC on D&D 5E), Steve "Mutants & Masterminds" Kenson (that's his actual middle name), Dawn Elliot, and John Snead, and was billed as a "romantic fantasy" game, of the genre for whom Tamora Pierce, Mercedes Lackey, and Jacqueline Carey are known. It used the True20 System, which was a slimmed-down, modified version of the d20 System, and won multiple ENnies. And now it's back!

Back in 2005, Green Ronin published a roleplaying game called Blue Rose. It was designed by Jeremy Crawford (yep, him who works at WotC on D&D 5E), Steve "Mutants & Masterminds" Kenson (that's his actual middle name), Dawn Elliot, and John Snead, and was billed as a "romantic fantasy" game, of the genre for whom Tamora Pierce, Mercedes Lackey, and Jacqueline Carey are known. It used the True20 System, which was a slimmed-down, modified version of the d20 System, and won multiple ENnies. And now it's back!

This time round, the game will be using the Adventure Game Engine, which powers the Dragon Age RPG, and will be funded via a Kickstarter launching in April. One of Green Ronin's reasons for bringing it back is that the game tackled a number of diversity and inclusiveness related issues, and those issues are very much the subject of intense - and often unpleasant - debate and conflict today.

You can click on the cover image below for the full announcement from Green Ronin's Chris Pramas.

BlueRoseCover.jpg

What's Romantic Fantasy? It's "a subgenre of fantasy fiction, describing a fantasy story using many of the elements and conventions of the romance genre". According to Wikipedia, the genre's focus is on social, political, and romantic relationships.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Meh. While I'm willing to discuss how much of a person's political beliefs are represented as an active part of this or her work, I'm not going to go into the theory here, beyond noting that I've seen some psychological theory that supports that they are more than just hats for tribes. More than that is real-world politics not appropriate for the open forum.
Actually, I was just reading an article the other day about the measurable psychological and physiological differences observed in those who self-identified as "right" or "left". They didn't get into the direction of causation, though- I don't think that was the point of that study.

The problem is that there's a non-scholar political sort that has already created their own political narrative, and historical works, for them, exist only to validate their positions (and at the expense of the work or its author). Sadly its not particularly new. Thanks to the internet, the volume is though.

This. It's like one would need to make some of those 2012 "Get Over It"-shirts.

It's not a matter of education alone, or political intent alone, though; most people these days try to substitute fact-based debate with discourses about semantics, á la: "What's racism, really?"

That's part of the reason why we apparently need a game that specifically endorses LGBT equality: Because it's not enough to say we're okay with it. We need to give detailed, pseudo-objective reasoning to our cause - since, apparently, simply stating that one doesn't mind boys kissing is not enough.

I wonder how future generations will evaluate our present social discourse; like, it's not that they simply will be more advanced - it's that we may look outright bad, and petty, with our ersatz debates.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's part of the reason why we apparently need a game that specifically endorses LGBT equality: Because it's not enough to say we're okay with it.

Stop there for a second.

Broadly speaking, we *don't* say it. Broadly speaking, there's still a ton of folks who say the exact opposite, and in fact take public action against it being okay - or have you missed that GenCon may end up moving over such public action? Less broadly, other than Blue Rose, and the most recent edition of D&D, what game has explicitly said we don't mind boys kissing?

We need a game that endorses it because there's a segment of gamers who are still told it isn't okay. This has nothing to do with ersatz debates, and much to do with how some folks are still feeling the weight of discrimination.

You know what? You are right, and I was wrong. I apologize.

It's just that the issue - and that's coming from somebody who really considers himself as pro-American as they come - is so completely alien to me: I've visited, and I've lived in many countries over the world, and the racism and the discrimination that are reportedly happening in the US is something I have never witnessed, not to a degree that would be even slightly comparable. - I've since read up a bit on the new law in Indiana (I was not aware of it, Spaniard that I am), and I am shocked at this display of barbarism. Like, I've discussed this with my coworkers over our coffee break, with the same words we talked about the tragic plane crash in France last week. Not sure how to respond to this, really: Be careful some :):):):):):):)s don't pull you back into the middle ages, folks.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Less broadly, other than Blue Rose, and the most recent edition of D&D, what game has explicitly said we don't mind boys kissing?

Tianxia is the most recent I've seen. Exalted before that. It's certainly not common, although to be fair the number of RPGs which talk about relationships of any sort is not that high.

I don't think it was ever made explicit, but Duke Norris of Traveller's Third Imperium canon is generally assumed to be in a relationship with his Seneschal - both male - and he's been a major heroic canon NPC since the 1980s. That's the oldest I can remember.

Mikaze

First Post
Less broadly, other than Blue Rose, and the most recent edition of D&D, what game has explicitly said we don't mind boys kissing?

Adding to those above, Pathfinder(the setting) too, though your point still stands.

Throw in the embedded homophobia in the videogame community, which has a ton of cultural and player crossover with tabletop gaming, and the need becomes even more apparent.

nomotog

Explorer
Broadly speaking, we *don't* say it. Broadly speaking, there's still a ton of folks who say the exact opposite, and in fact take public action against it being okay - or have you missed that GenCon may end up moving over such public action? Less broadly, other than Blue Rose, and the most recent edition of D&D, what game has explicitly said we don't mind boys kissing?

I'm not countering your argument here (because you know an exception doesn't invalidate a trend.), but it made me think of Hot Guys Making Out. http://www.tao-games.com/hot-guys-making-out/

Remove ads

Remove ads