Help me with D&D Lore: Beneath the Waves

Nimblegrund

Explorer
Omigawd! So am I. I am going to be launching my aquatic game this coming week. I'll be using the Pathfinder Rules for undersea gaming called Cerulean Seas. I'm nervous and excited about it. I've created my own Players Handbook and improved some of the badly written rules in CS. Plus, I built six platform trees, so we can have 3D combat. I hope it goes off okay.

Good luck! Unfortunately my group didn't go for my campaign pitch so it's back to the ol' drawing board. *sigh*

Nimblegrund

Explorer
I cleared it with them first. I knew that running an aquatic game would require significant effort on my part. No point having wasted effort.

I wasn't terribly far in, but a week ago I was encouraged to DM and it was my understanding I could do whatever I wanted (3.5 D&D) but I guess not. :mad: :(

I understand the concern but I wish I hadn't been shut down quite like that. Oh well.

DragonMan

First Post
I wasn't terribly far in, but a week ago I was encouraged to DM and it was my understanding I could do whatever I wanted (3.5 D&D) but I guess not. :mad: :(

I understand the concern but I wish I hadn't been shut down quite like that. Oh well.

That sucks that they backtracked like that. I'd be royally pissed if my group did that to me.
I just mentally solidified my first campaign. It will be called 'the plague of the Boggarts'. At 1/3 CR I knew I wanted to start with them. They can level up, attack mounted, and envenomed weapons. It will be similar to kobolds mounted on wolves.

A

amerigoV

I recently had my campaign unexpectantly go underwater for a significant amount of time. I decided to really run with it as I (and my group) had never really had an underwater campaign (and me being a scuba diver, I certainly have an interest).

A very good resource is something from D&D/Mystara - PC3 - The Sea People. Its set up as a campaign world with tons of ideas and backstories on races and regions.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17144/PC3-Creature-Crucible-The-Sea-People-Basic?it=1

I finally got to use creatures like a Morkoth and Ixitxachitl (I believe they are called Devilfish in Basic, but same critter)!

Enjoy!

Edit - sorry to see that your group did not go for it. My underwater sub-campaign was unexpected and we ran with it for 6 sessions. That was about right for the foray - I was getting restless with it as a GM and I could tell the players were as well, although they do reference back to it as the overall campaign continues.

Last edited:

DragonMan

First Post
Well, I ran the first adventure this past week. Character generation took about an hour longer than normal. But I was pleasantly surprised they I did both encounters that I had planned. It turns out the every person choose a different race. We've got a Nixie Summoner, Karkanak Fighter, Shazalarian Triton Kahuna, Sebek-ka Barbarian, Piscean Fighter, and Kai-los Mariner. And I gave everyone homework to write up detailed back stories for their characters. I'm going to use their writing to add to my story lines. The 3D combat wasn't too bad this week, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Remove ads