Another take on the Ranger class...would love some (a lot) input/opinions/etc

G

Guest 6801328

I'm not bothered by the number of features in Natural Explorer. Swimming and climbing at normal speed are quite potent, though. Maybe save those for a higher level?

Alternatively, you could come up with 5 or so good abilities and let the player choose one at certain levels.

An alternative for "Scout" could be simply that you have double proficiency (or Advantage?) on Perception whenever it involves spotting hidden enemies. So, effectively, Rangers are really good at spotting ambushes. That seems Rangerly to me. And a very useful skill.

"Cover of Darkness" rubs me wrong. Sure, Rangers might travel in murky forest and/or by moonlight, but not so archetypically in the pitch black of underground. So Darkvision doesn't make sense to me. Also, that is only a benefit for a few races. Maybe change it so that Dim Light is treated as Bright Light, but Darkness is still Dark? (Or borrow from Skulker feat and simply say that Perception is not reduced by Dim Light. Or they could just take that feat...)

Improved Scout: I saw your comment about the Thieves' Tools, but it still feels out of place. Seems to me a Ranger would be good at spotting traps, but would be just as likely to simply go around it as to disarm it. So maybe they would get double proficiency or advantage for spotting traps, or perhaps just "large" traps (pit traps, bear traps, etc., but not poison needles in locks and stuff like that).

New thought: detecting ambushes and detecting traps could be options for Natural Explorer, as per my 2nd comment above.

Greater Scout: I'm not a fan of a universal "you get to go first" ability. The Ranger could always take the Alert feat if they don't want to be surprised.

My advice is to make the climb and swim speeds 20 ft at level 4, and then 30 at level 8, if the character has a relevant speed already (such as from a racial ability, they instead get a +10/+15 bonus to that speed).

ccs

41st lv DM
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=&]They eventually learn Thieves' Tools. The reason is as per Xanathar's Guide, to disable traps such as Bear Traps and Trip Wires (trap types you would find set up in natural environments), you need Thieves' Tools.

So my training with thieves tools represents a high Wis, proficiency in perception/investigation, some common sense (just don't step on it/go around it), &....a 10' pole?

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I'm not bothered by the number of features in Natural Explorer. Swimming and climbing at normal speed are quite potent, though. Maybe save those for a higher level?

Plan to move swim/climb to 6th level Improved Scout and move the ability of tracking fast pace without penalty to 1st level Natural Explorer.

An alternative for "Scout" could be simply that you have double proficiency (or Advantage?) on Perception whenever it involves spotting hidden enemies. So, effectively, Rangers are really good at spotting ambushes. That seems Rangerly to me. And a very useful skill.

I wanted to make certain to have survival as the chosen proficiency to avoid creating other features with the advantage in survival phrase. The reason the other skill is a choose is to allow a player to choose what she/he envisioned to character to be. I agree to spot (perception) is also very good, but how many abilities can be placed. For each additional, another would need to be removed i guess.

"Cover of Darkness" rubs me wrong. Sure, Rangers might travel in murky forest and/or by moonlight, but not so archetypically in the pitch black of underground. So Darkvision doesn't make sense to me. Also, that is only a benefit for a few races. Maybe change it so that Dim Light is treated as Bright Light, but Darkness is still Dark? (Or borrow from Skulker feat and simply say that Perception is not reduced by Dim Light. Or they could just take that feat...)

Wanted something unique that was not found in any other class. Also, when in a overcast sky in the woods camping at night is extremely pitch black. The blackness is not only in the underground. The groups I play in love it and just like anything thing, there are features that no one will like. It is also in present PHB classes. I was more concerned of making certain it is a balanced class

Improved Scout: I saw your comment about the Thieves' Tools, but it still feels out of place. Seems to me a Ranger would be good at spotting traps, but would be just as likely to simply go around it as to disarm it. So maybe they would get double proficiency or advantage for spotting traps, or perhaps just "large" traps (pit traps, bear traps, etc., but not poison needles in locks and stuff like that).

But there are "small" traps that are also applicable like wire traps and pressure plates. It would be an ordeal to specify what trap falls into what category. Also, then one would then have to place a stipulation that the rogues use of tieives tools are limited to small traps.

Greater Scout: I'm not a fan of a universal "you get to go first" ability. The Ranger could always take the Alert feat if they don't want to be surprised.

Alert only allows a chance to go first. This allows the ranger to possible go twice before the creature attacks. Also is a natural progression of the 6th level bonus to initiative, the 14th level advantage to attacks against creatures who haven't acted, the this. The other "fighter" classes have bonus to attacks or other combat features that give extra damage. This is the ranger's niche.

Again not everyone is going to agree to what a ranger is, I was hoping to gain opinion on balance issues.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
So my training with thieves tools represents a high Wis, proficiency in perception/investigation, some common sense (just don't step on it/go around it), &....a 10' pole?

Have no clue to what you are trying to say.
I am going to assume that you are a person who believes rogue feature should only stay with the rogue. If i am incorrect, I apologize.

Rangers are also hunters and trappers of beasts and presumably also hunted by their prey who could also set traps for them in turn. And there are some traps you can not avoid/go around. That is our opinion and what we envision the class to be capable of doing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Ok, so it seems like "would love some (a lot) input/opinions/etc" maybe didn't mean what it appears to mean.

Sounds like you're pretty happy with it the way it is. Enjoy.

Remove ads