WotC President: D&D Up 30% in 2018; More MtG Crossovers Coming

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Or could it be that they are calling for DMs because of the level of demand? Spoiler: it is.

As I said in my original quote, I am not involved with AL anymore, but what I am hearing from friends is that the changes to season 8 rules are less fun than previous rules. Is it an self-selecting sample and an anecdote? Sure.

So your statement could very well be true. I'd like to make sure that your comment also isn't just an anecdote and that they are actually increasing the number of DMs/tables. (Remember, even if they are looking for more DMs, there's also a factor if it's replacements for ones who have left or growth). Can you share how you made such a broad statement? Are there by-season numbers of players or tables available that we can confirm this? Something more inclusive than just a specific locale.

Thanks.

The Big BZ

Explorer
As I said in my original quote, I am not involved with AL anymore, but what I am hearing from friends is that the changes to season 8 rules are less fun than previous rules. Is it an self-selecting sample and an anecdote? Sure.

So your statement could very well be true. I'd like to make sure that your comment also isn't just an anecdote and that they are actually increasing the number of DMs/tables. (Remember, even if they are looking for more DMs, there's also a factor if it's replacements for ones who have left or growth). Can you share how you made such a broad statement? Are there by-season numbers of players or tables available that we can confirm this? Something more inclusive than just a specific locale.

Thanks.

Nah not really, partly because no one outside of Wizards has the specifics but mainly because I'm not bothered. All I wanted to do was point out the stupidity of the narrative that in the face of positive news says 'aw man, they're messing up and killing x or y or z'. They're not, they are absolutely smashing it out of the park. Are there people who have stopped playing AL because of the Season 8 rules? Yes. Does it make the smallest bit of difference when compared to the upsurge in new players? I doubt it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nah not really, partly because no one outside of Wizards has the specifics but mainly because I'm not bothered. All I wanted to do was point out the stupidity of the narrative that in the face of positive news says 'aw man, they're messing up and killing x or y or z'. They're not, they are absolutely smashing it out of the park. Are there people who have stopped playing AL because of the Season 8 rules? Yes. Does it make the smallest bit of difference when compared to the upsurge in new players? I doubt it.

Are the new rules attracting new players, or would the same number of new players have played regardless of those new rules? If it's the later, then it seems the new rules might be a mistake if it is losing older players and DMs with no net gain in new players to compensate.

Fandabidozi

Explorer
Great news all round. It’d be awesome if we got a new D&D supplement to coincide with each new MTG set. Really hyped for Ravnica. WotC are knocking it out of the park!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Could be, but I think the number of players at conventions is a smaller part of the number that want to go. So large player numbers swells the ranks of convention goers, AL included.

I also think that it’s significant that the other big conventions D&D “goes to” have a large AL turnout, like winter fantasy and origins.

But I do suspect AL is a fraction of the larger player base. I wish I knew how much. Maybe WoTC does?

Yeah, it's hard to talk about without numbers.

We know about conventions. Gen Con is 60 000. Most of those aren't playing D&D there.

The active 5e player count in NA is 12-15 million.

If I had to make a guess it would be that AL includes 3-5% of the 5e player base. But then, I don't have the numbers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, it's hard to talk about without numbers.

We know about conventions. Gen Con is 60 000. Most of those aren't playing D&D there.

The active 5e player count in NA is 12-15 million.

If I had to make a guess it would be that AL includes 3-5% of the 5e player base. But then, I don't have the numbers.

I doubt the percentage is anywhere near that high.

gyor

Legend
Great news all round. It’d be awesome if we got a new D&D supplement to coincide with each new MTG set. Really hyped for Ravnica. WotC are knocking it out of the park!

Well the next setting in MtG won't appear till Summer or Fall 2019. The next set is in January and it's the other 5 guilds of Ravnica, and set in spring 2019, code name MILK, is a Gatewatch vs. Nicol Bolas show down set on Ravnica, so no new settings for MtG until after that.

I'm okay with that however as fans of many D&D older settings have been waiting along time for a 5e update, so they should get done first, then once that is done we can do a new MtG D&D crossover setting.

Although I could see adding some MtG stuff to regular D&D supplements, like maybe add Eldrazi Titans to a D&D MM or VGTM style book or sneak Azra into Planescape as the demonic equavilant to Infernal Tieflings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well the next setting in MtG won't appear till Summer or Fall 2019. The next set is in January and it's the other 5 guilds of Ravnica, and set in spring 2019, code name MILK, is a Gatewatch vs. Nicol Bolas show down set on Ravnica, so no new settings for MtG until after that.

I'm okay with that however as fans of many D&D older settings have been waiting along time for a 5e update, so they should get done first, then once that is done we can do a new MtG D&D crossover setting.

Although I could see adding some MtG stuff to regular D&D supplements, like maybe add Eldrazi Titans to a D&D MM or VGTM style book or sneak Azra into Planescape as the demonic equavilant to Infernal Tieflings.

I'm really beginning to suspect that we will see D&D get into Magic, which would mean classic D&D settings in D&D as part of the cross-pollination strategy.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I doubt the percentage is anywhere near that high.

Yeah you're probably right about that.

I was thinking about adding in that I was being generous for the sake of argument.

Do you think 1-3%?

Regardless, what I'm trying to get at is that all this talk of 'mismanagement of AL hurting D&D' is not true. AL could crash and D&D would still be growing at an astounding rate.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah you're probably right about that.

I was thinking about adding in that I was being generous for the sake of argument.

Do you think 1-3%?

Regardless, what I'm trying to get at is that all this talk of 'mismanagement of AL hurting D&D' is not true. AL could crash and D&D would still be growing at an astounding rate.

If I had to guess, less than 1%. I think you are basically right.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases