Gygax IP To Be Made Available For Video Games

I don't usually cover video games on this site, but this news item involves D&D co-creator Gary Gygax. Gail Gygax (Gary's wife) contacted me last week about this -- unpublished work by Gary Gygax is to be made available for video game developers to develop using a "community publishing platform" named Fig.

47f407db0aa3e1e46166c5dc6308c437.png

Fig describes itself thus: "Fig is a community funding and publishing platform for independent video games. Fans back games on Fig to get exclusive rewards, or invest to earn returns from game sales." To be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand it, but it kind of looks like Kickstarter but your funds are an actual investment. The press release is below.

The Gygax Trust and Community Publishing Platform Fig Collaborate to Bring Unpublished Works To Life

Unpublished Works from Famed Game Designer and Co-Creator of Dungeons & Dragons Will Be Made into Video Games Using the Fig Platform

Fig, the only community publishing platform created by gamers for gamers that offers rewards and investment-based funding, and the Gygax Trust, who owns unpublished I.P. from Gary Gygax, the famed game Designer and Co-Creator of Dungeons & Dragon, are working to develop and publish video games based on Gary’s works that formed the inspiration for creating Dungeons & Dragons. Leveraging Fig’s community publishing platform, the Gygax Trust will work with Fig to find developers for Gary’s I.P., launch Fig campaigns, and publish several titles. Additional information will be announced later this year.

“The worlds and characters to be discovered in my husband’s unpublished intellectual property are an incredibly important part of his legacy,” commented Gail Gygax.
“Therefore, it was paramount that we partner with an advanced and innovative platform such as Fig that gave us complete control of his creative vision.”

“As a gamer, I wanted to bring my father’s works to life in a medium that I enjoy. I’m looking forward to working with talented developers who love my father’s work as much as I do,” said Alex Gygax, CEO of Gygax Games.

“At Fig we already offer our partners a full channel of services without forcing them to limit their creative endeavor, from helping them find the right developers for a project, to funding, and all through the development cycle to launch. Gary’s unpublished works were some of his most cherished, shared only with his closest friends, and now we will help the Gygax family bring them to gamers,” said Justin Bailey, CEO, Fig.

Fig is democratizing video game publishing by inviting the community to financially support the development and release of games they love. Fans can back a game funding campaign on Fig to get exclusive rewards or invest in Fig Game Shares to earn returns based on game sales. Fig Game Shares are available to both accredited and non-accredited investors, in accordance with the SEC’s Regulation A+ (JOBS Act).

Each series of Fig Game Shares generate returns from the sales of individual titles. Investors can earn returns from revenue shares from Fig’s publishing operations, distribution arrangements, publisher and first party buyouts, and advances on distributions. Since its inception in August 2015, Fig has had four of the top 10 most funded video game campaigns: Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity 2 ($4.4M), Psychonauts 2 ($3.8M), Wasteland 3 ($3.1M) and Phoenix Point ($766K).

Three Fig games have already driven positive returns for Fig investors: Fig investments related to Annapurna’s Outer Wilds (developed by Mobius Digital) more than doubled; sales from Kingdoms & Castles (developed by Lion Shield) tripled investments; and Trackless (developed by 12 East Games) and Solstice Chronicles: MIA (developed by Ironward) have generated sales, with Solstice Chronicles driving positive returns for Fig investors. In 2018, a dozen new releases will launch including the follow-up to
Obsidian’s Game of the Year title, Pillars of Eternity 2, Julian Gollop’s Phoenix Point, Make Sail, Flash Point and Solo in Q2.

Alex Gygax was interviewed by Polygon. He speaks a little about some of the available Gygax IP -- "One of the major ones that everyone knows about is his personal dungeon. It was his personal D&D campaign that he had never released to the public. He didn’t want his game nights being destroyed by publishing his work and then having his group go out and buy it and find out all of his secrets. So that’s one of the main things that we have to use, and all the little side derivatives of that.”

Alex says that "Pen and paper is a dying art. Computer games, video games, they’re the next generation, the next wave of games and I’ve always wanted to see them on that new medium and I’ve always wanted to be working with someone who’s excited as I am about it.”

Of course, the statistics from sources like ICv2 show that tabletop gaming -- and, indeed tabletop roleplaying games -- have been growing rapidly for years, not dying. Since 2013 the hobby game market has gone from $700 million to $1.4 billion, with tabletop RPGs leaping from $15 million to $45 million, a threefold growth in just the last five years.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I remember when everyone was saying that MMORPGs were going to wipe out the tabletop RPG forever! Funny thing - it costs considerably less to make a tabletop RPG than an MMORPG, and MMORPGs have considerable upkeep costs. Even if you're making an offline RPG, it still costs more money to make one of those (unless you're doing a Unity Asset Flip, and if you are - Stop it!)

I mean, World of Warcraft is certainly one of the most profitable pieces of media of all time; the point being that the video game industry is substantially more lucrative, and there's never been a better time to be an indie game publisher (or a worse time to be a AAA game publisher, not coincidentally). There's a pretty significant hole in the market currently for traditional RPGs, what with traditional AAA RPG brands long having gone Action-heavy and traditional AAA action brands swiping RPG gameplay, and all the umpteen Divinity se/pre/sidequels and Beamdog revamps are only going to scratch that itch for so long.

I can't speak to the family dynamics behind this move, and I definitely think Alex is clearly wrong when he says Tabletop RPGs are dying (as has been pointed out countless times in this thread, tabletop games have never been so popular and mainstream), but this sounds like a pretty solid business decision, all things told, and will hopefully lead to some fantastic old-school indie RPGs. Lord knows we could use some more.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I mean, World of Warcraft is certainly one of the most profitable pieces of media of all time; the point being that the video game industry is substantially more lucrative, and there's never been a better time to be an indie game publisher (or a worse time to be a AAA game publisher, not coincidentally). There's a pretty significant hole in the market currently for traditional RPGs, what with traditional AAA RPG brands long having gone Action-heavy and traditional AAA action brands swiping RPG gameplay, and all the umpteen Divinity se/pre/sidequels and Beamdog revamps are only going to scratch that itch for so long.

I can't speak to the family dynamics behind this move, and I definitely think Alex is clearly wrong when he says Tabletop RPGs are dying (as has been pointed out countless times in this thread, tabletop games have never been so popular and mainstream), but this sounds like a pretty solid business decision, all things told, and will hopefully lead to some fantastic old-school indie RPGs. Lord knows we could use some more.

Well, we've got Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity games (and related titles Tyranny & Torment: Tides of Numenera). We've got the hordes of Wizardry-style Dungeon Crawlers coming out of Japan that are getting localized (the Etrian Odyssey series, the Class of Heroes series, bunches of other unrelated dungeon crawlers of the same style). Hell, while the Dark Souls (and Bloodborne) series has action gameplay, they're also RPGs that promote an Old-school tabletop level of caution. And then there's stuff like Darkest Dungeon (which feels like someone made a rogue-like based on Lamentations of the Flame Princess) - and that's received console and handheld ports. So, we're getting a lot of indy PC RPGs. They're not in the AAA space, but they're there.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Well, we've got Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity games (and related titles Tyranny & Torment: Tides of Numenera). We've got the hordes of Wizardry-style Dungeon Crawlers coming out of Japan that are getting localized (the Etrian Odyssey series, the Class of Heroes series, bunches of other unrelated dungeon crawlers of the same style). Hell, while the Dark Souls (and Bloodborne) series has action gameplay, they're also RPGs that promote an Old-school tabletop level of caution. And then there's stuff like Darkest Dungeon (which feels like someone made a rogue-like based on Lamentations of the Flame Princess) - and that's received console and handheld ports. So, we're getting a lot of indy PC RPGs. They're not in the AAA space, but they're there.

I had forgotten about many of these (and I even banged my head against Etrian Odyssey IV for a while... twice!) I'll agree that From Software is definitely hitting the closest to hitting that old-school dungeoneering vibe in the AAA space; I think that there's definitely a strong market for old-school RPGs (and not just isometric) in the indie market. Significantly more than in the non-D&D tabletop arena (and if I'm reading the room right, this particular branch of the Gygax legacy has already burned quite a few bridges with the community).

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age, Divinity Original Sin are all great examples of how video games with strong worldbuilding can be married to the depth of TTRPGs to produce a satisfying hybrid for people coming in from both sides.

But I feel that when a gamer plays one of these games, it often makes them yearn to get back into the tabletop swing rather than replace the desire. A fire is lit.

And I am saying this as someone whose incidental purchase of Baldur's Gate sparked an introduction and a 20 year (and counting) love of D&D.

darjr

I crit!
Flumphs are all about the love of D&D!

I hope it works out great. I hope that tabletop products come from all this too.

Geoff Thirlwell

Adventurer
I’ve just been in touch with Alex who told me that “We haven’t forgot pen and paper products! Don’t worry, be patient.. more goodies are in the works!! ”

R

RevTurkey

I can’t see this doing anything of note. It’s way beyond time they let somebody publish/re-publish his legacy within the tabletop rpg community/hobby. There are plenty of very competent companies out there to choose from who would do cool things with the products. I would have thought Gary would like people to play in his worlds. I don’t understand why they pulled the plug of Troll Lord Games and their efforts...seemed like Gary was happy with them.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Eh. I can tell you from personal experience that were I to get my table group together and we all decided to go play WoW or ESO or some other AAA title for about 3-4 hours a week it would replace our need to get together for tabletop sessions, especially if we did the voice server video server thing while playing.

The difference between video game co-op and table game co-op is that the table itself determines the pace of content completion and reward cycles. You can get more done in 4 hours at a table than you can in 4 hours gaming unless you're very good at the game and exhibit practiced teamwork.

Some folks are going to be turned off by that, but there's no doubt that the video game has more options for replacement players if someone can't make a session than the table does.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Eh. I can tell you from personal experience that were I to get my table group together and we all decided to go play WoW or ESO or some other AAA title for about 3-4 hours a week it would replace our need to get together for tabletop sessions, especially if we did the voice server video server thing while playing.

The difference between video game co-op and table game co-op is that the table itself determines the pace of content completion and reward cycles. You can get more done in 4 hours at a table than you can in 4 hours gaming unless you're very good at the game and exhibit practiced teamwork..

If that's your experience than great. But I feel that ttrpgs offer many things even the best video games are a long ways off from replicating. In a tabletop campaign your character can have a personal history, goals and ideals that actually matter in the world.I'm video games, you are usually cast as the key player in an epic storyline. But that story isn't personal to you. It was designed without knowledge of what you might bring to the character. Your backstory is in your headcanon only. Your objectives may not be achievable unless your only objectives are those the game designers gave you on a serving platter.

And no matter how large of a map an open world game has, the map of a tabletop game extends further. No matter how many monster modelss, types of magic items and wondrous mounts a video game can reproduce, a gamemaster can produce more.

And deaths matter. You don't just respawn back in town with half your gold or revert to your last saved game. You have to play smart, work as a team, and deal with the consequences of failure.

I enjoy playing these games but they cannot truly replace the joy of playing in an evolving dynamic world that is affected by choices video games could never foresee, where story and interaction is not reduced to a dialog tree with three responses possible.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases