D&D 5E Ultimate Sorlock (Coffeelock) villain! How to defeat him? Is It possible? A party vs one

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
1v1 against a rule-breaking 20th level character with a Similacrum and an undead army at their beck and call is just not going to work.

However, I would like to point out this abomination of a character just screwed up, big time.

This character may be immune to Divination (whatever that means) I will assume it prevents him from being Spied on, and also prevents other Divination Spells an effects (like the Diviners Class features) from effecting him. However, your previous characters are not.

There are the goals for your next expedition:
Get the bodies of your old team back. This is accomplished by Simply Scrying them, teleporting in, killing or capturing their undead forms, and getting the heck out of there.

After you have your old bodies back, Raise them. Preferably with either Twinned True Resurrection or Reincarnate.

This should attract the attention of the Warlock, who should hunt you down. Use this to your advantage by fighting him in some kind of enclosed structure, that has been warded against teleporting out of it.

This means you are going to need no less than three Divine Souls, some other caster who can use divination and teleportation magic (probably a Wizard), and whatever other two party members you want. I would recomend Monks, (simply because they need less gear and that can be used to give the resurrected characters something to fight with), or An Oath of Peace or Conquest Paladin or anything else that can prevent him from simply flying away and sniping you with impunity while trapped inside the building.

Now you have the battlefield of your choice, and 12 PCs to fight him with. If you can't win with those odds, nothing can help you.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
An Open Hand Monk min-maxed for total speed could run in and stun = game over.

I'm sure a Gloom Stalker Assassin build could solo if played correctly.

Would an Open Hand Monk have any abilities that lend well to finding him before he can get the drop on you? Furthermore, Con is a good save for him, so even if you hit his AC 29, your odds of stunning him are only about 50/50 per hit. Also, don't forget all his undead and simulacrum hitting you while you try to capitalize on actually stunning him.

Why Gloom Stalker? (The Villain sees in darkness using Devil's Sight, not Darkvision, so he is unaffected by your Umbral Sight) Ranger/Rogue would be good for finding him, but in the fight you probably wouldn't fare as well.

I'm also curious what your plan would be with a Paladin, as your previous post suggested.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Assassin, equipped with a flying carpet with Turbo Boost. 2 Potions of Invisibility (pour one on the carpet). Get Surprise and Sneak Attack and declare all the special Assassin conditions are in effect because he doesn't know you are there. Prepare ahead of time a huge pile of dice and roll that.
Plan on arguing with the DM because you just zapped him out of nothing the same way he zapped you out of nothing in the first place; he will not appreciate 'turnabout is fair play'.

But I suggested a way to get rid of this nuisance in the other thread (drowned in a hot-water / coffee urn at Starbucks) which I still think you should employ.
The prep work needed will help you immensely with understanding the rules of the game and how they work. Your DM could use the lesson too.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm also curious what your plan would be with a Paladin, as your previous post suggested.
Here's a thought:
Dual-Oath (can you do that? It doesn't seem that RAW is really binding for this DM/group) to get all the Ancients auras (so you succeed at every possible save) and the capstone with Wings. Magic-up armor-and-shield to get an equally-unhittable AC as the BBEG's. Wield a Holy Avenger of Coffee'lock Slaying (two properties in one greatsword). If/when you ever do hit him with something, expend ALL your spell slots to Smite him.

Lodes

Villager
So its pretty easy if you think about the problem.

First you need to deal with the simulacrum; just ask the DM how a 17 Sorcerer / 3 warlock got access to a 7th level spell that iss not on either of their lists. This will result in the simulacrum disappearing.

Next, 18 Lore Bard / 2 Diviner wizard.
Take the encounter when you have a super low portent die.
Cast True polymorph on the target, the bbeg turns into a potted plant. Don't think it will stick? that is what your nat 1 on portent die is for. Considering that he has zero legendary resistances (of course until he magically has one).

If you want to take a party, just take 5 other people with counter spell so he cant cast anything.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
So its pretty easy if you think about the problem.

First you need to deal with the simulacrum; just ask the DM how a 17 Sorcerer / 3 warlock got access to a 7th level spell that iss not on either of their lists. This will result in the simulacrum disappearing.
Wish : Simulacrum

Next, 18 Lore Bard / 2 Diviner wizard.
Take the encounter when you have a super low portent die.
Cast True polymorph on the target, the bbeg turns into a potted plant. Don't think it will stick? that is what your nat 1 on portent die is for. Considering that he has zero legendary resistances (of course until he magically has one).

If you want to take a party, just take 5 other people with counter spell so he cant cast anything.

Unfortunately, this tactic does not work.
First problem is that it is stealth, using Subtle Minor Image cantrip.
Second problem is that Villain and his simulacrum can use Subtle Counterspell and has Darkness, impossible to counterspell it.
Another problem, also has the Sanctuary Spell (Wis save or lose 9th spell slot), which can be problematic here.

Out of curiosity, how to use teleport and True Polymorph on the same turn with this build? That's not possible.
I can not see the utility of 5 character with counterspell if the villain ignores counterspell with subtle metamagic and / or darkness.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Assassin, equipped with a flying carpet with Turbo Boost. 2 Potions of Invisibility (pour one on the carpet). Get Surprise and Sneak Attack and declare all the special Assassin conditions are in effect because he doesn't know you are there. Prepare ahead of time a huge pile of dice and roll that.
The villain has access to See Invisible spell, so unfortunately that would not work.
Also, It seems a little strange to use sneak attack against a stealth target.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Here's a thought:
Dual-Oath (can you do that? It doesn't seem that RAW is really binding for this DM/group)

Has the DM actually broken RAW? Where? He's certainly been exploiting his position as DM, but anything impossible has been claimed to be either a mistake or a transcription error as far as I'm aware?

Also,@Hygor_Haas just making sure you saw my post regarding the Villain's AC.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The villain has access to See Invisible spell, so unfortunately that would not work.
Also, It seems a little strange to use sneak attack against a stealth target.
One character can't cast every spell at once.
Option 1) He casts See Invisibility on the off chance there is an invisible assassin stalking him - now he is tied up for a turn and the other 5 members of the group take advantage of this opportunity to pull THEIR prepared alpha strike
Option 2) He casts some other spell - and the Assassin gets / takes his shot.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
One character can't cast every spell at once.

A coffeelock can do it with 1~5th spell level. Also, It's 2th spell and 1 hour duration, easy to do. Right?

And It has this detail, The villain can be stealth while using metamagic subtle spell against the team. For example Subtle Enemies Abound.
And it has this detail, it can be stealth and using metamagic subtle spell against the team. For example Subtle Enemies Abound.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases