Do you have $6666? Rob Schwalb Launches Shadow of the Demon Lord!

Veteran RPG designer Robert J. Schwalb (a name which always takes me three attempts to type!) has launched his Shadow of the Demon Lord Kickstarter. You know his work - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, various editions of D&D, Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and more, and this new game is designed to offer "intuitive rules, fast play, and a dark and nasty setting perfect for creating stories of dark fantasy." The Kickstarter launched earlier today, as in almost funded already.

Veteran RPG designer Robert J. Schwalb (a name which always takes me three attempts to type!) has launched his Shadow of the Demon Lord Kickstarter. You know his work - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, various editions of D&D, Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and more, and this new game is designed to offer "intuitive rules, fast play, and a dark and nasty setting perfect for creating stories of dark fantasy." The Kickstarter launched earlier today, as in almost funded already.

Schwalb cites Joe Abercrombie's novel, Glenn Cook's Black Company, and WFRP as his influences. I mentioned it before back last October. Shadow of the Demon Lord is already written and playtested - the Kickstarter is for layout, printing, and so on. You can get a copy of the starter guide for as low as $6, and the game in PDF for $24. Print versions start at $66. If you're willing to pay $6666, Rob will even travel to your home and run a game for you. In fact, many of the rewards are "6" themed - $6, $66, $666, etc.

Click on the image below to jump straight there!

GMXFlyer.jpg

dm4hire

Explorer
What I find interesting is that he is using achievements to also increase the size and they have nothing to do with paying for the product. Seems they are geared toward advertising, which is an interesting concept. Most of them are just posting to their page different things with the tag #SOTDLKS. So it's a free marketing drive.

dkheinrich

First Post
Hello all!

First off thank you for all the kind words and help backing Robert's new game, yesterday was a whirlwind of chaos as you can imagine with funding in just short of 7 hours. That said, I am one of Robert's minions who has been involved with the game since the start, maybe even before the start if that is possible and can answer most anything you need answered about the game.

To touch on what has been asked above here goes... Crunchy Bits 1st and that will lead into Money & Backer Levels

Crunchy Bits! The game is designed to tell stories without the crunch getting in the way of that goal, that being said it is full (very full) of tech for those who want that in the game, but it comes into play as your group levels up. So if you start a game at lvl 0 (you are just joe schmuck) you have a minimum amount of system stuff to fight with to get up and going, as your group levels up to lvl 1 you make a decision about the path you will take (warrior, priest, ect) and that really adds the first layer of complexity to your character. That choice will give you benefits right away, and during the rest of your career - getting more and more crunchy as you go along. As your group continues to level up to 3 and again at 7 you make additional path choices (none of which are reliant on your previous choice/s) that add additional layers of complexity to your character based on what you pick.

If you want to run a game that is full of crunch from day one... start your group at lvl 7, everyone gets all the cool toys, and then instead of gaining a level at the end of each adventure (normal pace for the game) gain a level every 3-4 adventures - and you will still get about eleven adventures (normal amount for the game) out of those characters.

The book in its current form, what has been designed and tested and is ready to send to editing and beyond (what the Kickstarter is covering), is pushing 400 pages of content - the VAST majority of which is system and players options. The actual setting is the smallest chapter because the setting info is instead going to be expanded via stories (adventures) and regional pdf expansions (see current list of stretch goals). This is done for a few reasons, but the main one being that the game is meant to be easy to access - if you have to spend a hours on hours reading about every minute detail for an entire world... well that is not easy access.

Money & Backer Levels! Of those 400 pages of dark and nasty goodness Robert will have to trim until he gets it to fit into whatever size book ends up funding... the initial goal of 128 page soft cover is just that. Initial. Like many Kickstarters have done, Robert is going to be adding tons of content via stretch goals. Some of these are already reveled and others, such as converting the core book to a hardback, and increasing page count, additional stories, locations, and fiction.

$66 is a lot of money, entertainment dollars are tighter than ever and they go less and less far... (here it comes) But is it to much money for what you are getting now (let alone as the stretches hit)? I guess that is for everyone to decide, but for me its a bargain - You get a pdf of a Starter Guide (think mini-players handbook) the full game (at what ever page count it gets to - so the bigger the funding the bigger the book) and a pack of (5) adventures (20-25 hours of play experience)... for 48$!

IF you want a printed copy of the book (again at whatever size it ends up at) you are paying 18$ more... 10$ of which covers your shipping (via a shipping credit - if you dont use it all you can use the balance at the company store for more swag)... so now you are down to 8$ for what could easily turn out to be a 200-300 page hardcover full color core book.

But for now its 128 page soft cover full color (with kick ass art) for 8$ more than just going digital and that is still a really good deal.

If you like the game, if you like what Robert has done in the past, if you just want to play a solid game that is fast to learn but still has the teeth to keep even the most jaded of gamers involved... jump into the Kickstarter, fund at any level - it all helps. Keep up with the goals and the achievements and see how much value is added to what you saw up front. Or wait until the end and jump on then once its all unlocked. Either way you will be happy as hell with your rewards.

Again thanks for posting and I will do my best to check in as often as possible to answer any and all questions about Shadow of the Demon Lord!

~dkheinrich

dkheinrich

First Post
Oh crap.

I forgot to mention that last night the game hit its 1st stretch goal.

So now if you are at any level that gets you 'all pdfs' you will get three additional stories (adventures) written by BRUCE CORDELL, CHRIS PRAMAS, and STEVE WINTER.

And we are only $9,000 away from the 1st page count upgrade to the core book - boosting it to 160 pages!

Thanks again!

~dkheinrich

dkheinrich

First Post
[MENTION=14848]dm4hire[/MENTION] - also a rumor floating around about a possible bonus gift for backers to celebrate funding in under 7 hours. I will update as I can.

Also - you hit the nail on the head - free content additions for hitting achievements, it is meant to be a fun wacky way to keep the #SOTDLKS tag floating about as much as possible. Take a look at the Schwalb Entertainment Facebook page and see some of the things posted so far!

dkheinrich

First Post
Here is the bonus gift! 32 pages of extra content added to all but the base backer level!

Update #4

Mar 13 2015

A Gift for all you Awesome People

Yesterday went better than I could have ever hoped or imagined. To show my eternal gratitude for funding this project in less than 7 hours, everyone who pledges $24 or more will get a 32-page Kickstarter enhancement when the book goes to printing. This expansion will include at least one new ancestry, expert and master paths, plus traditions and perhaps a smattering of critters. Let’s keep the momentum going and knock out a few more stretch goals over the weekend!

R

RevTurkey

If the game is 400 pages ready to go...then why not do a Kickstarter for a 400 page book? All the drip feed promises for the whole lot if we give more and more money feels somehow wrong to me. Say this funds in spectacular fashion and in 12 months time the game gets released...I very much doubt it would have a $66 price tag at my local store...but yet that is what you asking for..and at that level without the incentive of stretch goals to reward the very people who would help bring the product to market. I like the authors track record...but not much. Good luck however.

dkheinrich

First Post
[MENTION=6693779]RevTurkey[/MENTION] - sadly RPGs with the 'minimum' required to print 400 page books dont get funded via Kickstarter, if they did that would be the route to go, successful KS projects start realistic and expand based on stretch funding. You are right $66 dollars would be a lot if it was just for the book, but it is a lot more than just the book, I stand by my points above.

Thanks for you wishes of good luck, and please keep an eye on the project to see if the value hits a mark that would work for you... if not I understand where you are coming from (its already got a bonus of 32 pages from initial release).

dm4hire

Explorer
[MENTION=6693779]RevTurkey[/MENTION] - I think a better way to phrase it would be they have 400 pages of draft material that covers everything thought of so far. Just because I have a draft of x number of pages doesn't mean I'll end up there. It is actually better to have more and cut out what isn't needed than to have less and try to filling what's missing.
[MENTION=6792126]dkheinrich[/MENTION] - At the same time please keep in mind that letting us know the potential of the book size does help, but please phrase it in a way that helps us understand the potential. I think what RevTurkey was getting at is that the way the message reads gives the feeling that you're saying, "we have a 400 page book, but we're not going to give it to you until we get the money we want." I hope that's not your intention with the way it is written.

dkheinrich

First Post
[MENTION=14848]dm4hire[/MENTION] - you are mostly correct in your corrections of my words, but its close enough :)

Honestly the process of calculating what you can afford to print and various funding levels while estimating how many backers it would require to get to those points is daunting to say the least, and it is sadly the rarely talked about dark side of these projects.

The book will be as big as possible based on final funding levels and I am sure that those who do back it will be more than happy with the final product. I am actually being told that a chunk of the book could be released in the next few days as a preview. If/When it happens I will be sure to link it for everyone here.

Please keep the questions coming - be it on this topic or the game itself!

~dkheinrich

Remove ads

Remove ads