Mike Schley Working on GREYHAWK Maps?

Mike Schley is a cartographer who has worked on all of WotC's D&D 5th Edition adventures so far, so when he asks "Who’s up for an Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk? Working on a new legacy map release coming soon." it's worth taking notice. He also mentions - though I don't think this is connected - that "Here's today's teaser: I'm currently working on my biggest, most ambitious project to date. Lips are sealed but it's going to be awesome." (Thanks to zoltar for the scoop!)
Mike Schley is a cartographer who has worked on all of WotC's D&D 5th Edition adventures so far, so when he asks "Who’s up for an Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk? Working on a new legacy map release coming soon." it's worth taking notice. He also mentions - though I don't think this is connected - that "Here's today's teaser: I'm currently working on my biggest, most ambitious project to date. Lips are sealed but it's going to be awesome." (Thanks to zoltar for the scoop!)

He goes on to clarify: "I'm releasing hi-res DM & player versions of the maps that I created for the classic adventure that came out for 3.5 in 2007. It's intended for use by fans of the setting/adventure but the maps are also great as location seed artwork since the untagged ones can be integrated into any contemporary RPG campaign."

Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk
was written by Paizo's Jason Bulmahn, Erik Mona, and James Jacobs back in 2007, and was a big, 224-page hardcover adventure for D&D 3.5. You can read excerpts on WotC's website here.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk is a Dungeons & Dragons super-adventure, designed for characters of level 8-13, that revisits Castle Greyhawk and the classic dungeon beneath.

This adventure is usable as a mini-campaign on its own, a story arc in a Dungeon Master's regular campaign, or as a series of small side adventures with a big payoff.

Like other adventures in the "Expedition" series, this product takes a classic Dungeons & Dragons location, updates it for D&D v.3.5, and incorporates many new twists and surprises. This adventure also includes useful source material for players and a combat encounter format designed to make the DM's job easier.

Castle_Greyhawk05.jpg

Barantor

Explorer
I kind of hope it is connected. Greyhawk is one of the more expansive settings and with so many modules associated with it; would be a good pick for an update.

As far as maps, Anna B Meyer already makes a wonderful one that is akin to Google Oerth.
http://ghmaps.net/

Sounds like he's cleaning up his old maps so he can make them HD and sell them on his store like his current maps for Princes of the Apocalypse.

Barantor

Explorer
Sounds like he's cleaning up his old maps so he can make them HD and sell them on his store like his current maps for Princes of the Apocalypse.

He just confirmed on Twitter that is exactly what he is doing and that the Greyhawk maps are not connected with his current secret project.

Barantor

Explorer
Surprise twist: Castle Greyhawk has actually been just outside Neverwinter all along.

Every time there is an adventure I want to use that is in Neverwinter or around it (like the starter set for 5E) I use Radigast City as a Greyhawk replacement. It has the coast and wildlands to the north as well as a swamp not far to the south and large swathes of land to the east.

I don't think I've ever used Greyhawk City itself or Waterdeep in any adventure for that matter lol.

trystero

Explorer
Minor nit-pick: by "all of WotC's D&D 5th Edition adventures so far", you mean "all of WotC's D&D 5th Edition adventures so far except for Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat", right? Those two were done by Jared Blando. (And I'd have preferred it if they were done by Schley, as I find his work both prettier and more readable than Blando's.)

Every time there is an adventure I want to use that is in Neverwinter or around it (like the starter set for 5E) I use Radigast City as a Greyhawk replacement. It has the coast and wildlands to the north as well as a swamp not far to the south and large swathes of land to the east.

I don't think I've ever used Greyhawk City itself or Waterdeep in any adventure for that matter lol.

Good choice. Radigast City has an extra cool factor because it works with this:

Take me down to the Radigast city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.......:p

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Picked up a few maps to use with tabletopconnect.com - now just need to practice with the construction levels to bring the dungeon maps to life.

Remove ads

Remove ads