D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Blast. Like so many things, I suppose it was just too good to last.

Thank you Forged. Your sheet is BY FAR the best our group has ever used. And we will go on using it, although really bummed we never saw the full implementation of the XGtE content. :(

R.I.P.

slykenn

First Post
This is simply the best ... it's amazing

I was looking for character sheets ... but I never dreamed to find something like this .... it's just wonderful

is there a way to override the level or change the XP table? ... I would like to have a slower leveling

Thx ...

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I was looking for character sheets ... but I never dreamed to find something like this .... it's just wonderful

is there a way to override the level or change the XP table? ... I would like to have a slower leveling

Thx ...

Short answer is no. Additionally, this CS may not be on here that much longer WotC has filed a DCMA takedown demand for the CS.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I think the thing that is so frustrating is that there aren't really any automated character sheets unless you use D&D Beyond which: 1). you need to be online for; 2). I'm not crazy about and there is a limit to the number of characters that can be stored for free; 3). I can't use it at the table. It's just a shame that WoTC is being somewhat draconian about this. I'm not sure that the feel it is infringing on their IP but honestly it is not a great thing for the community at large when this is done. If one uses the analogy of software, you have many software developers allowing mods to their software for the betterment of their community. Character sheets aren't even close to something like that. It just bums me out and now I have no character sheet unless I use D&D Beyond and then update it by hand at the game table. Very frustrating...

thechew

First Post
I think the thing that is so frustrating is that there aren't really any automated character sheets unless you use D&D Beyond

This isn't completely the case. You can always build off of something that already exists. I'm certainly not trying to take away support from Forged, this application is amazing. However, for everyone that already has the books, it is time consuming, but not impossible, to create your own simple spreadsheet tables and input them into a premade character sheet template.

The main reason, I think they are responding, is because this template offers game information that is available only in the PH and other books. There is no way to prove that any user of this product has actually purchased the books. So in their eyes, that is stealing. I get it. It sucks, but I get it.

If this does get taken down, and you have your own books, take the time and make a spreadsheet that is personal to you and keep it private so no one can take it away

Bulkhead

First Post
I'm not sure but i think ForgedAnvil might be able to keep his sheet going if he puts it up on DM's guild. It might be worth looking into, it's a fantastic sheet and i would hate to see it disappear.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
This isn't completely the case. You can always build off of something that already exists. I'm certainly not trying to take away support from Forged, this application is amazing. However, for everyone that already has the books, it is time consuming, but not impossible, to create your own simple spreadsheet tables and input them into a premade character sheet template.

The main reason, I think they are responding, is because this template offers game information that is available only in the PH and other books. There is no way to prove that any user of this product has actually purchased the books. So in their eyes, that is stealing. I get it. It sucks, but I get it.

If this does get taken down, and you have your own books, take the time and make a spreadsheet that is personal to you and keep it private so no one can take it away

I totally get that. I was actually wondering if the 'explanation' of the spells and such that aren't part of the SRD are redacted so basically it just calculates everything and lists that ability etc. would then make this compliant. One can always do their own sheet. However, I think you underestimate the expertise to get a sheet so that it calculates all the variables etc. It isn't for the novice Excel user. That said, what's done is done I guess. I just think that WoTC shutting down fan made things like this is in the long run detrimental. I also still think you need the books with this sheet (or at the very least, the SRD). I know I'm always still using them when I've used this sheet.

Conandar

Explorer
While I can not prove it in THEIR eyes, I have purchased all of the books (aside of the adventure books, as I see those as DM terrority and I am not a DM). I will not use D&D Beyond for a few reasons. 1) Where I play I do not have access to the internet. They have internet, but it is limited to store employee use only (they do not have the bandwith for everybody). 2) To use this produce I would have to buy digital copies of books that I already own. I am on a fixed income and can not spend hundreds on duplicate materials. 3) I have looked at D&D Beyond, and aside of an additional monthly fee and the aforementioned reasons, I feel the interface is awful. Truely awful.

I get why WOTC is doing what they are doing...because the character generator goes far beyond what is allowed in the SRD, but given that no money is exchanged I would think they have tenuous legal grounds at best. Note that they are not telling FA to take it down (as far as I can tell) but rather they are telling his host to take it down. Sometimes you don't sue for the money, sometimes it is to make it more trouble than it's worth to fight. Goliath vs David: David doesn't always win.

Last edited:

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I will not use D&D Beyond for a few reasons. 1) Where I play I do not have access to the internet. They have internet, but it is limited to store employee use only (they do not have the bandwith for everybody). 2) To use this produce I would have to buy digital copies of books that I already own. I am on a fixed income and can not spend hundreds on duplicate materials. 3) I have looked at D&D Beyond, and aside of an additional monthly fee and the aforementioned reasons, I feel the interface is awful. Truely awful.

I agree with Conandar's assessment. D&D Beyond in my opinion is nothing more than another way for WotC to make more money off of the D&D Franchise, while at the same time introducing it into the digital age. While I own a good chunk of the 5th Edition books, I don't want shell out hundreds of dollars just to get digital versions of them. Hell, the digital versions cost just as much as the printed versions!!!!

Remove ads