D&D 5E 5E Gloom Stalker / Scout

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hi Folks,
I'm going to be playing in an HotDQ-RoT / SKT mashup adventure and I was thinking of doing a Gloom Stalker / Scout. It's a 75 points, point buy system with a maximum of 16 (before racial bonuses). I was actually thinking of doing a Firbolg for this as it seems like it may fit in interestingly with the SKT piece and the plot points there though I'm not dead set on this. We more than likely will be getting to 15th - 16th level I'd imagine. It looks like go Ranger for the first 5 levels; then Scout the next 4? Does anyone have any advice on how to build this. We can use any WoTC books.
Thanks in advance!

Gavin O.

First Post
If you're going Ranger/Rogue, I think Assassin is a better choice, since Dread Ambusher and Assassinate both work on the first turn of combat and synergize well with each other, or an Arcane Trickster to help preserve your spell slots. If you insist on going scout, I'd start as a Rogue for the extra skill, then go Ranger and stick with Ranger to level 5 for Extra Attack, then take Rogue all the way to 7 for Evasion, then go back for 2 levels of Ranger. As for Stats, a Firbolg wants to play a Strength-based Character but Rangers and Rogues both want Dex. I'd say its better to stick with Dex and use a longbow.

Last edited:

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies [MENTION=6941440]Gavin O.[/MENTION]! They are much appreciated. I'm not really into the Assassin subclass to be honest. It doesn't really fit the 'vibe' I'm going for with the character. Arcane Trickster could be interesting though - I'll have to look into that one. I've gone back and forth on the 1st level. The extra skill is nice. However, it then means I don't get access to medium armor and also puts off getting the extra attack one level. I agree with you that a dexterity build is the way to go with the character and was what I was thinking. Even with an average strength with the Firbolg's 'powerful build' ability, encumbrance wouldn't be an issue. I know the racial stats really don't line up great (although wisdom does help the Ranger), hidden step and even disguise self does offer something at least so I guess there are worse choices. Plus, the SKT portion of the mash up should provide some interesting situations with a Firbolg...

Gavin O.

First Post
Thanks for the replies [MENTION=6941440]Gavin O.[/MENTION]! They are much appreciated. I'm not really into the Assassin subclass to be honest. It doesn't really fit the 'vibe' I'm going for with the character. Arcane Trickster could be interesting though - I'll have to look into that one. I've gone back and forth on the 1st level. The extra skill is nice. However, it then means I don't get access to medium armor and also puts off getting the extra attack one level. I agree with you that a dexterity build is the way to go with the character and was what I was thinking. Even with an average strength with the Firbolg's 'powerful build' ability, encumbrance wouldn't be an issue. I know the racial stats really don't line up great (although wisdom does help the Ranger), hidden step and even disguise self does offer something at least so I guess there are worse choices. Plus, the SKT portion of the mash up should provide some interesting situations with a Firbolg...

You actually do get Medium armor proficiency when you Multiclass into Ranger (See PHB page 164 for the proficiencies you get from Multiclassing)

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Huhh - I stand corrected. For some reason I didn't think the high tier armor would translate. So I guess it is better to start as a Rogue (other than the delayed extra attack but I guess sneak attack would make up for it somewhat)...

Remove ads