Tink-Tink-Boom vs. the Death Spiral: The Damage Mechanic in RPGs

Broadly speaking, every traditional role-playing game has some sort of system for tracking the health and well-being of its characters. Classically, as in Dungeons & Dragons, these are expressed as Hit Points. Other systems such as Savage Worlds or Vampire: The Masquerade use some sort of qualitative wound mechanic. For the purposes of this article, which will compare the relative merits of each approach, we’ll call the former approach Tink-Tink-Boom (or TTB for short) and the latter the Death Spiral.

Regardless of the particular gloss, all systems with a damage mechanic fall into one of two categories: an attritional model (TTB) where you are fine until you aren’t (either falling unconscious or dying) or a system of gradual decay (Death Spiral) whereby accumulated wounds seriously impact your ability to function.

The biggest advantage of the TTB approach is simplicity. You (generally) have a bank of Hit Points. Things do damage to you that deplete that bank. When you hit zero Hit Points, you die. Some systems, like those derived from Basic Roleplaying such as Call of Cthulhu or King Arthur Pendragon, introduce a tripwire point that triggers unconsciousness prior to death—if your character takes enough damage to reduce them below that threshold, you simply pass out. Other systems, such as the Palladium Books family of games, Champions, or Dragon Heresy, break Hit Points into two categories representing mere shock or bruises on the one hand and life-threatening injuries on the other. (Often in these systems, characters have far more “shock” points than “vitality” points.)

These elaborations on the basic TTB system were presumably introduced in an effort to add a dash of “realism” to the mechanic, as that is the fundamental downside of the classic Hit Point arrangement: in real life, people who suffer repeated injuries tend to feel the effects well prior to expiring.

And thus the Death Spiral.

Whether as a result of wanting to treat injury more realistically or (somewhat paradoxically) to move the system in a more narratively-focused direction, qualitative wound categories have been around for decades. Early White Wolf games like Ars Magica and Vampire: The Masquerade helped pave the way with their hierarchical wound categories. More recent systems such as Apocalypse World and its many offshoots use variations on this approach as well, albeit often through ticking off boxes or filling in a track on the character sheet.

What these systems all have in common is that, as more boxes are ticked or wound categories are marked off, more and more penalties accrue. Perhaps in a dice pool system you lose dice out of your pool; in a system that relies on single dice rolls, you likely suffer a penalty to your roll. You might also suffer shock effects, lose actions, etc.

The point is: getting wounded slows you down and makes you a less effective fighter. It also tends to speed up your headlong rush towards the final curtain as the penalties accrue—hence the term “death spiral.”

Although there’s much to be said for the increased realism of this approach, it also must be said that it comes with an increased burden of modifiers and conditions to keep in mind. Although this may not weigh too heavily on a player’s shoulders, I can say from personal experience that keeping track of NPC wounds is often an onerous imposition for already-harried GM brains.

What do you say, gentle reader? Is the simplicity of the TTN system not worth the loss of realism? Is the Death Spiral too brutal, or is it grimly satisfying? And is that grim satisfaction worth the extra variables required of the players and GM to track?

On a final, personal note, this will be my last UGC article for EN World. It’s been a lot of fun writing these game theory articles, as well as the Storyteller’s Vault and Statosphere Roundups, and I’m looking forward to continuing to read the excellent output from UGC contributors both present and future!

This article was contributed by David Larkins (sirlarkins) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

I'm in favor of classic TTB, because it's very efficient in terms of narrative-impact-per-bookkeeping. You lose out on granularity, of course, but the ease-of-use more than outweighs that.

One big danger of TTB is when some people assume it doesn't model physical injury at all (rather than modeling it abstractly, and not worrying about minor mechanical interactions). A game needs to be able to model injury, though, because it's implausible to go through so many dangerous situations without anyone getting shot or stabbed to a non-fatal degree. So they try to "fix" the HP mechanic by adding a separate mechanic for tracking physical wounds, which entirely defeats the point of using abstract HP in the first place, because now the HP mechanic isn't modeling anything narratively important. If you want to track wounds, then you've lost the benefit of using HP, so you might as well only track wounds.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
What do you say, gentle reader? Is the simplicity of the TTN system not worth the loss of realism? Is the Death Spiral too brutal, or is it grimly satisfying? And is that grim satisfaction worth the extra variables required of the players and GM to track?

The irony is that TTB systems are actually more realistic then Death Spiral systems.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I dislike death spiral mechanics, and almost never play RPG's that use them. My ideal in playing RPG's is to be a larger than life hero. Whenever I hear buzzwords like "gritty" or "low-power" that is a cue that I probably won't like this game.

Even beyond attrition based HP. I'd prefer a reverse-death spiral, aka an anime model where the more wounded you are the more powerful you become, with truly earth-shaking spells or abilities and combat bonuses available that you can only use as you approach death's door. :)

Even beyond attrition based HP. I'd prefer a reverse-death spiral, aka an anime model where the more wounded you are the more powerful you become, with truly earth-shaking spells or abilities and combat bonuses available that you can only use as you approach death's door. :)
I've always liked the SNK approach to this. Basically, you can spend some of your super meter in order to use a super move, but if you're almost dead, then you can use super moves for free. If you're almost dead and you also spend your super meter, you can perform a super desperation move that's even more powerful.

The hard part, from a design standpoint, is figuring out how to convince players that they shouldn't just stay bloodied at all times.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Party Death Spiral

Ever hear of the idea of Party Death Spiral?

Even a game with TTB paradigm for individual members have an over all death spiral. I have on various occasions considered some mechanics to alleviate Party Death Spiral. Such as the Living being Inspired by the individual sacrifice, through flashbacks and similar.

Nature abhors a death spiral its bad for survival. Its far from perfect or totally predictable but Human bodies have some incredible built in TTB behavior where adrenal rushes and second winds and like keep us functioning in spite of horrid amounts of fatigue or injury (its not just something in the movies there is some science behind it)

Hurin70

Adventurer
I think the article is based on a false dichotomy. It leaves out the possibility of a third way, which is the way Rolemaster and MERP went. It has hit points, but more often you die of a wound. But these wound's aren't necessarily a death spiral, where the player gets progressively worse; a wound can instead result in instant death, even at full hits.

pemerton

Legend
I think the article is based on a false dichotomy. It leaves out the possibility of a third way, which is the way Rolemaster and MERP went. It has hit points, but more often you die of a wound. But these wound's aren't necessarily a death spiral, where the player gets progressively worse; a wound can instead result in instant death, even at full hits.
Agreed.

There are also systems (and RM/MERP can work out this way) where a character suffers more and more wounds, and so suffers an increasing penalty as a result, but doesn't necessarily die because none of the wounds suffered is fatal.

And Pendragon, at least in its 5th edition version, has a "major wound" mechanic where certain wounds put you out of action but don't kill you, independently of the attrition of lost hit points.

I like death spirals in theory.

I like TTB in practice.

Yep, this is where I land.

A death spiral more accurately reflects combat compared to the "operating at 100% at 1 HP, unconscious at 0 HP" TTB mechanic. However, in practice, the TTB mechanic works better.

My best memory of a RPG with death spiral mechanic was Harn. It was brutal, with wounds potentially taking months to heal up. It made you want to avoid combat at all costs (which I'm guessing was intentional).

Sithikurro

First Post
7th Sea 2ed stands out here - although technically it uses the death spiral, wounds make the PC more awesome. It's an interesting approach.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases