D&D 5E What is/should be the Ranger's "thing"?

Drizzt's favored enemy is goblins. It was mentioned in one of the early books and then Salvatore wrote a short story where Drizzt met a goblin that was nice and it humanized (elfized?) the goblin. That doesn't invalidate your larger point since Salvatore plays D&D and its a bit of the tail wagging the dog.
Thanks for the info. And yes, it actually illustrates my point that I couldn't guess Drizzt's canonical favored enemy correctly: it's certainly not something that defines his character or his identity as a ranger.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Thanks for the info. And yes, it actually illustrates my point that I couldn't guess Drizzt's canonical favored enemy correctly: it's certainly not something that defines his character or his identity as a ranger.

Here is the major problem.

You are trying to model the class after one particular ranger. The ranger class was around before Drizzt came along. Drizzt has broken the rules many times through the years. Back in 2nd edition he was an 18th level fighter before he was a ranger and as we all know only human could dual class in that edition.

The D&D ranger has always had one thing that separated it from other classes and that was a favoured enemy. That is the ranger's schtick. If you want a one size fits all ranger then make a Fighter and choose outdoor type skills and write "Ranger" on your sheet. One of the most important things about the ranger is it's flavour and how that flavour is brought to life using the mechanics. Making everything a "favoured enemy" and giving him specialty in "all terrains" defeats the purpose. Actually, it defeats the word "specialty" when you are good at everything. I don't want some d6 or d8 added to damage call it Hunter's Quarry and it go against the flavour of the ranger. You are too busy trying to equal out damage across the classes. The ranger is not about having maximum potential damage against all creatures, that defeats the whole concept of the class.

You keep asking why even after you are told why. What you are asking for is not the D&D ranger.

Yaarel

He Mage
‘Favored enemy’ seems insufficient to define a class.

Just create a feat called ‘Favored Enemy’ and build a Fighter.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
I think the problem is a few people want the ranger to be identified by powers that basically work on everything and work in every terrain.

This is not something I want to see because it's what 4th edition did. I don't want a one size fits all ranger.

The problem with 4E Ranger was that the archer build was incredibly boring and the melee build couldn't survive in melee. I think the 5E melee ranger has the same survivability problem due to needing light armor for stealth but not doing enough damage to qualify as a glass cannon. Maybe the ranger needs to add wisdom modifier to AC if wearing light armor?

Corpsetaker

First Post
‘Favored enemy’ seems insufficient to define a class.

Just create a feat called ‘Favored Enemy’ and build a Fighter.

Maybe to you but for years and years that has been the most distinguishing feature.

Class becomes more and more pointless the more you take away class features away and make them available for everyone. The problem with 5th editions Favoured Enemy feature is that it doesn't give the ranger any combat bonus. What they should have done was given Hunter's Mark as part of Favoured Enemy.

Corpsetaker

First Post
The problem with 4E Ranger was that the archer build was incredibly boring and the melee build couldn't survive in melee. I think the 5E melee ranger has the same survivability problem due to needing light armor for stealth but not doing enough damage to qualify as a glass cannon. Maybe the ranger needs to add wisdom modifier to AC if wearing light armor?

Why do you need to qualify as a glass cannon? 5th edition wasn't designed around you doing specific damage. It's about playing the concept.

You are trying to model the class after one particular ranger.
In just the one post DerekSTheRed quoted, I discussed three rangers. And I've mentioned many more characters than that over the course of this thread. Could you perhaps limit your critiques to errors in judgment I have actually made?

You keep asking why even after you are told why. What you are asking for is not the D&D ranger.
Please understand: this is not a reason. It's just you saying "The ranger is the way it is because it is." The ranger could have any ability whatsoever, and your argument would justify it just the same. That's why I keep asking why.

Last edited:

The 5e ranger can just stick to finesse weapons and max DEX whether ranged or melee focused. It's actually pretty slick how 5e handles the difference between 'heavy' and 'light' melee types.
Though it does kind of rub me the wrong way when a character with 4 Strength is a god with a longbow. (Elf rogue in my campaign.)

Corpsetaker

First Post
In just the one post DerekSTheRed quoted, I discussed three rangers. And I've mentioned many more characters than that over the course of this thread.

Please understand: this is not a reason. It's just you saying "The ranger is the way it is because it is." The ranger could have any ability whatsoever, and your argument would justify it just the same. That's why I keep asking why.

No it's not, it is what the class was created around. It's not about how it's always been, you just refuse to accept the answer. Specific enemies and terrains are the ranger. It has been the concept of the class since 1st edition, it is the whole reason the class was created. It is what separates it from other classes.

Literary characters are not always going to fit perfectly into D&D classes and they were not designed that way. You wanting to change a class because it doesn't fit a few ranger stereotypes from fiction isn't a good enough reason to change the class.

Let's actually look at the class and break it down.

1: Favoured Enemy - The iconic ranger's ability that separates him from other classes. They did nerf it in this edition because they didn't give the ranger any combat bonus. Still a good ability that gives the ranger flavour.

Natural Explorer: Basically "Favoured Terrain":
a: Difficult terrain doesn't slow down your group's travel. This is a very nice ability because it effects the "whole" group. Really goes with the ranger knowing his way around therefore he is able to pick the best and quickest path. Perfect for ranger flavour.
b: Can stay alert even if foraging, navigating or tracking. Basically no ambush. Great ranger flavour.
c: Stealth at full speed if alone. Great for scouting. Great ranger flavour.
d: Find twice as much food. Survivability is great ranger flavour.
e: Expert tracking. You learn their exact numbers, sizes, and how long ago they passed. Great ranger flavour.
f: You get three terrains by 11th level.

Fighting Style: Choose from 4 fighting styles.

Spellcasting:

Archtype:

Primeval Awareness: You basically get detect creatures in a 1 mile to 6 mile radius. Sure it doesn't tell you their location but use this along with Tracking and you are deadly.

Land's Stride: You can move through nonmagical difficult terrain unhindered and you get advantage on saving throws vs magical plants and movement.

Hide in Plain Sight: You become Rambo from First Blood Part II when he was hiding in the mud.

Vanish: Hide as a bonus action.

Feral Senses: Detect Invisible creatures in 30ft as long as they aren't hiding.

Foe Slayer: You get to add Wisdom as to hit or damage vs favoured enemies.

Can Favoured Enemy be done up a bit, indeed, but overall the class holds the flavour great and that is what's important.

Remove ads