D&D 5E Do You Think Spare the Dying is a Problem?

Is Spare the Dying a Problem?

• I have played a lot of D&D Next, and it is a problem.

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • I have played a lot of D&D Next, and it is not a problem.

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • I haven't played a lot of D&D Next, but it seems like a problem.

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • I haven't played a lot of D&D Next, but it doesn't seem like a problem.

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • I am a servant of the Secret Fire, and you cannot pass.

Votes: 22 16.2%

I guess, it could become problematic. But mainly because the death rules are a bit problematic right now. I´d like to somehow drain a HD when you are dropped below 0 hp or when you are revived.

Maybe you should have to roll a HD when dropped to less than zero hp. You need to roll a number equal to the excessive hp (those not needed to reduce you to) 0hp or you start dying with a failure.

If for example you have 5 remaining hp and you are hit for 10 damage, you have to roll a 5 or higher on your "HD + con modifier" or you start dying with one failure.

This way, spare the dying would be a more risky and less exploitable spell.

Cybit

First Post
Based on the open playtest rules, I will second the "death rules are problematic" camp. They definitely need some more options on how to handle death, and spare the dying should either (a) be a full action or (b) stabilization only.

I like negative HP equal to CON Score + Level personally.

Derek Alford

First Post
Spare the Dying improves PC survivability, but rather that it returns them to combat as an afterthought, leaving the cleric still free to take a standard action in the turn (which could be used to heal the risen PC further).

You seem to be mistaken healing of any sort gets them out without the need of Spare the Dying (which takes an action the same as 3.5 standard action). All healing word dose is auto pass a medicine check to stabilize leaving the target unconscious.

5ekyu

Hero
You seem to be mistaken healing of any sort gets them out without the need of Spare the Dying (which takes an action the same as 3.5 standard action). All healing word dose is auto pass a medicine check to stabilize leaving the target unconscious.

you are responding to a thread from four years ago talking about DND next the 5e playtest.

Horwath

Legend
Two Clerics who cast Spare-the-Dying on eachother, become immune to death.

The effect is similar to the Regeneration spell.

The cantrip should Stabilize (remain 0 hp). Maybe with a casting time of 10 minutes, it can additionally heal a Stable target to 1 hp.

Unless they are attacked by alchemist fire as they are more or less on 1 HP always.

Personally, I would never take it as they are far more cool cantrips to use. This may be best in math, but is by far most boring and dumb.

Also raising to 1 HP is not so much. You fall with the next gentle breeze.

3.5e had healing touch reserve feat that was 10× better than this.

CapnZapp

Legend
What did the spell do in the playtest?

All it does now is stabilize a creature. Since any healing does this anyway it is never used by our group.

CapnZapp

Legend
Okay, yeah, that doesn't fly.

I understand that at some tables it's no problem. The problem is when all the designers play at those tables and subsequently do not understand the criticism or take it as valid.

In the case of Spare the Dying the problem was averted by nerfing the cantrip into oblivion.

But we all know there are an influential fraction within WotC dev that grossly undervalues healing abilities as evidenced by that new Xananthar healing spell.

Remove ads