List of TTRPG settings which originated in other media

Bagpuss

Legend
I'm putting together a list of fictional settings from other (non-RPG) media which have ever been officially published as a TTRPG, such as Star Wars and Conan:

https://sites.google.com/site/dndphilmont/ttrpgsettings

What did I miss?

Couple of R Talsorian games.

Dreampark - based on the novels by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. An RPG which you could play within other RPGs, very weird.

When Gravity Fails for Cyberpunk 2020 is an adaptation of the George Alec Effinger novel of the same name.

not by R Talsorian but also for Cyberpunk 2020 by an Italian company that did the translations

Nathan Never (1994) [SL4200] - Sourcebook based on Nathan Never, a popular series of science fiction comics by Sergio Bonelli Editore.

Then there is

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen - Based on the books/character/film

Outlaws of the Water Margin - based on the Water Margin TV show, that was in turn based on Chinese Folklore.

The Keep - was a Role Aids adventure based on the film of the same name.

First published in a non-TTRPG medium, but by a TTRPG company

Shouldn't Dragonlance by TSR go into this list?

Last edited:

Couple of R Talsorian games.

Dreampark - based on the novels by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. An RPG which you could play within other RPGs, very weird.

When Gravity Fails for Cyberpunk 2020 is an adaptation of the George Alec Effinger novel of the same name.

not by R Talsorian but also for Cyberpunk 2020 by an Italian company that did the translations

Nathan Never (1994) [SL4200] - Sourcebook based on Nathan Never, a popular series of science fiction comics by Sergio Bonelli Editore.

Then there is

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen - Based on the books/character/film

Outlaws of the Water Margin - based on the Water Margin TV show, that was in turn based on Chinese Folklore.

The Keep - was a Role Aids adventure based on the film of the same name.

First published in a non-TTRPG medium, but by a TTRPG company

Shouldn't Dragonlance by TSR go into this list?

Dragonlance started out as modules, I believe, then the books.

Bagpuss

Legend
First game materials looks to be 1990, while the first novel is 1987...

First Adventure was DL1 Dragons of Despair (March 1984)

First novel was Dragons of Autumn Twilight (November 1984)

So close but the novels came after the setting, and it was being worked on since 1982.

Thanks a bunch! I added Dreampark, When Gravity Fails, Nathan Never, and The Keep.

I believe the Baron Munchausen RPG is based on a public domain character (like Wizard of Oz RPGs), so not included in my list. The Water Margin RPG appears to have been unlicensed and self-published (like Legend of Zelda RPGs, etc). Nice try with Dragonlance, but like the other posters say, the first novel was released simultaneously with the first module, and the module was designed before the novel.

Last edited:

Remove ads